Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 09:50 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,781,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Plastic bottles are bad for the environment, however, you do feel much safer drinking bottled water versus boiled water because bottled water doesn't have any contaminants. Boiling water kills a lot of bacteria, however, it doesn't remove dissolved chemicals or particulates.

I agree about plastic bottles. They are an environmental nightmare. But I think filtration is marketing hype and has led to the oceans being full of plastic nano particles from all the water bottles out there. I have never seen evidence that tap water that meets EPA standards is bad for you. I have been drinking it for almost 70 years and am fine and I still drink it. Worrying about our water supply is way way down on my list of worries.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:54 AM

39,310 posts, read 27,692,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I agree about plastic bottles. They are an environmental nightmare. But I think filtration is marketing hype and has led to the oceans being full of plastic nano particles from all the water bottles out there. I have never seen evidence that tap water that meets EPA standards is bad for you. I have been drinking it for almost 70 years and am fine and I still drink it. Worrying about our water supply is way way down on my list of worries.
yep. Boiling is sufficient to kill pathogenic bacteria, viruses and protozoa. At this point, boiling tap water is my choice. I am not a fan of bottled water, I drink it for sure, but I certainly won't be freaked out if I have to drink tap water. I boiled it and wait for it to cool down to drink it. Feel so good and my water always tastes good.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:55 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
This is the problem (cited in WaPo): “I don’t think we’re going to be able to control it, the same as we’re not able to control flu,” said Jeffrey Shaman, a Columbia University epidemiologist. “The problem is, this is 10 times or maybe 20 times the burden of a typical seasonal flu. Maybe 40 times. That is daunting.”

Those who need hospitalization tie up beds for a extensive period of time. Due to an apparent high rate of relapse, China has set up post-hospital camps to ensure released patients don't again become infectious.

Covid-19 is not that lethal in the absolute but it has a bunch of nasty characteristics that make it a b*itch to manage. Its ability to spread (r naught) - creating this chaos - is relatively high. (China controlled that factor thru quarantines; don't look for that here.)

China and Korea also put major effort into continuing to track the virus, employing sophisticated technologies. Data appear to show the virus never became widespread in those populations - it never had a chance to. Sure there are a lot of undiagnosed cases here in the US but they will be a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to what will happen over a few months with unrestrained exponential growth.

No doubt everyone is hoping for a seasonal factor to buy time to prepare. Count me in.
We don't really make any attempt to control the flu though. If people start to socially distance it could turn out that the spread is limited for a while, same for our gov prioritizing lives over the stock market. Then with luck summer will come and the natural distancing will come into play. And then maybe we find some antiviral cocktail that works.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:56 AM

52,760 posts, read 34,663,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's been here since the beginning. The reason we are "behind" is because we are behind in testing. It was circulating in our communities and we thought we were safe for the time being only because the CDC had no means of testing. If, in fact, we get testing out to our hospitals and providers this weekend, the numbers are going to skyrocket next week and a full fledged panic will ensue.
it's amusing how you think testing is some kind of magic wand that will miraculously keep us safe, if only horrid, evil trump had invented it months ago.
Quote:
Stories in several countries suggest people are having up to six negative results before finally being diagnosed.
---

Quote:
Lies from Trump and today Kudlow (go to work if you are sick) are going to make things worse.
uh, no. that's a lie from you.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:57 AM

15,547 posts, read 10,539,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I hesitate to ask here because there's so much flying around but has anyone seen any advice for immuno-compromised yet and if so, can provide a link? I ask because I have a daughter who is such and she's all the way over in Kansas City. We get the hand washing, etc but I mean besides the basics like that.
Google it, I believe CDC has a link. A couple of press conferences have said social distancing is key too.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
In fighting back against impeachment, President Trump and his supporters like to point out that he was put into office by the votes of 63 million Americans. But according to some of his most ardent backers, the vote that counted was cast by God.--Yahoo News
oh, a yahoo editorial says this. so it must be true

Old 03-06-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
And all of his swamp hacks too. This morning Kudlow was out there saying Americans should continue to go to work with the virus raging in their communities. This is the same fool who a week ago said we have this locked down "air tight". Trump and his shills are lying to protect the stock market for political purposes.
i don't see that anywhere. here's what he did say:

"In many ways, America should stay at work."

do you disagree? or do you honestly think every single american should stay home from work for the foreseeable future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
So Trump who gets briefed by the experts knows nothing, but Ponderosa who gets its information off the internet is the professional. Stop going to work, geeze, what a moron.
no doubt!

Old 03-06-2020, 10:04 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,117,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
oh, a yahoo editorial says this. so it must be true
estimated 7,000 “supporters of faith” packed the King Jesus international ministry megachurch in Miami to hear the word of the president, and decided that it was good. The Maga hat-wearing faithful cheered Trump’s comments on issues calculated to resonate with his churchgoing audience, including abortion, freedoms of speech and religion, and what he claimed was a “crusade” from Democrats against religious tolerance.--The Guardian

Old 03-06-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, shows just how stupid Trump is.

From the CDC website:

"...Stay home except to get medical care
People who are mildly ill with COVID-19 are able to isolate at home during their illness. You should restrict activities outside your home, except for getting medical care. Do not go to work, school, or public areas. Avoid using public transportation, ride-sharing, or taxis...."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...when-sick.html

It's pretty clear cut, if you have the virus, DO NOT GO TO WORK!!!!!!!

You can lead a RWNJ to expert advice, but you can't make him think.

Ken
he wasn't talking about people who have the virus you knucklehead

Old 03-06-2020, 10:06 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,357,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Best thing for people with weakened immune systems would be identical to what to do if you actually catch it.

Self imposed isolation. As much as possible.
It's got to be really difficult to live in a community where covid-19 is prevalent and not become exposed (perhaps not ill) but exposed if this becomes widespread. Had lunch yesterday with a friend who usually poo-poos stuff like this but he admitted to being concerned. He has two homes on either coast and flies every few weeks between the two.

But he's confident he'll be fine even though he's older for he always washes his hands once home. And apparently has no plans to change any behaviors. During the lunch I sat there watching him play with nose, rub his hands across it, swipe his hands across his face. He never stopped.

He looked a bit amused when I wrapped a paper napkin around my hand before testing the selection of barbecue sauces. The place was a bit of a dive, and the bottles clearly grubby. He was driving my car, and so whatever was on his hands ended up on my steering wheel. Once he got out of the car, I slathered it with hand sanitizer.

Then came home to find we now have 3 cases in the county. They are off a cruise ship (per an official county announcement) but the name of the ship is being withheld. And I haven't seen anything about another cruise ship in the news - unless this is the Grand Princess?. We're east coast but hey folks travel. The three are mildly to moderately ill but did not know they'd been exposed to covid-19 until contacted by authorities - about 10 days after returning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.