Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 05:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Reflect on 80 million dead as in 1918 viral flu. It's an easy call.
Have there been no improvements in the world of medicine since 1918?

Old 03-15-2020, 05:53 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This is insanity. All this chaos over this stupid virus that all the experts agree is nowhere near as bad as the flu, ebola, swine flu, and all the other recent outbreaks. Turn the damn tv off. Ignore your crazy neighbors. Screw the old people their days are numbered no matter what. If you love grandma lock her up in the house for a few weeks and wash your hands when you visit. Damn this is just totally ridiculous. I can't believe the nonsense going on over this.
Agree about Grandma.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:54 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Here's the thing, SeaMaj7..... what happens next year when COVAD-20 comes out ??
Well, I think some are giving China a pass for COVID-19, even though they have had SARS and other new and novel viruses start in their country before.

When, NOT IF, the next coronavirus emerges from China, they better build a wall around that starting point IMMEDIATELY, no delaying like with COVID-19!

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
AIRBNB has just announced a new policy that will give refunds to everyone who wants them, worldwide.
Kudos to them!

Meanwhile VRBO is doing NOTHING for their guests who are stuck. They tell you to contact the owners directly to beg for your money back. My friend is trying to get back $4,000 for a condo rental in Kauai right now for April and is being told "sorry, we're keeping it".

I believe a number of companies are going to suffer in the long run for shortsighted policies implemented during this crisis. Others will earn undying loyalty.

2,983 posts, read 1,167,603 times
Default Chinese tycoon missing after criticizing coronavirus response

https://www.dw.com/en/chinese-tycoon...Ak8fiRHSDLvGcI (An influential former Chinese property tycoon and outspoken critic of President Xi Jinping's handling of the coronavirus epidemic has gone missing, according to friends.

Ren Zhiqiang, a member of China's ruling Communist Party and a former top executive of the state-controlled property developer Huayuan Real Estate Group, has not been contactable since March 12, three of Ren's friends told Reuters.) Remember this virus started in china!!

7,242 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I an "down" with controlling a virus which is a killer and IF it mutates we won't be talking about it here. So yes, absolutely, we're all in this together. I doubt you've actually seen "mass hysteria" This is not it.
I don't really see how we are going to control anything. Assuming we flatten the curve still most people on this planet will need to get this. Because it isn't going away and will likely just flair up and go away. The only hope people have is to get it and build up immunity. Or hide in their house for the rest of their days.

If we had any chance of stopping it from entering the USA I could see the push but now... that is over and besides flattening the curve we face no choice but to get it at some point.

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's what I'm trying to understand. 80,000 people in the US died of the flu, but nobody was in a panic. Why is that?

Perhaps because we didn't know until after they had died?
The 80K is an estimate. And we have both a vaccine and years and years of flu data.

250K died worldwide from the 2009 pandemic. We have a vaccine for that now.

This pandemic is just getting off the ground. It won't be over in a week or two.
the Spanish flu pandemic lasted 3 years and came in 3 waves. 20-50 million died.

This is a total unknown. Should we assume it's "just like the flu" and hope for the best ?
Should we wait until deaths are in the millions ?

Assume the worst and hope for the best.

Old 03-15-2020, 05:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
This will also only continue to widen the wealth gap in this country.
Cant let the bankers and financial markets fail, but rest assured everyone else is on their own.
Sadly this is the two party solution. This is why support Bernie Sanders. At this point I'd only vote Biden as a protest vote against Trump, if he gets the nomination

4,258 posts, read 3,177,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Nine investigations proved she did nothing wrong. And she easily withstood a grueling 11 hour interrogation by the Republicans and came away unscathed. Meanwhile, Trump won't even go under oath because he knows he can't speak without lying.

Yes, given the choice between those two, it's easy to see Clinton would have handled this much better. But then, a trained monkey probably would have handled this better than Trump.
Yes, she did an outstanding job. Benghazi was a very dangerous place and given the actual result it should be obvious (even partisans) that she wasn't prepared! I think one would be hard-pressed to give her kudos for her performance!

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well Fauci wants to flatten the curve. If people are still going out to bars, restaurants, spring break etc and not doing social distancing which seems to be the case a shutdown is next.
But a quarantine doesn't flatten it, it just delays the massive ramp-up which eventually overwhelms the hospitals. Social distancing flattens it by dribbling people into the health system slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies