Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 06:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Can We Just Turn Down the Drama Over This?

Can the **Mainstream Liberal Media** turn down the drama over ANYTHING??? That's where it's all coming from, you know.

Can the Pope stop being Catholic?
Most people don’t watch cable news.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That may be true but we have 57 confirmed deaths. We cant have 140k cases and only 57 deaths.
Why not? See my previous post. Number of deaths is a hard number. From that we calculate the death rate, not the other way around.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:11 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
We need to correct the mistakes of past administrations, Repub AND Dem, which outsourced our pharmaceuticals to China. It might have to wait until Pelosi and her cohorts are gone since they are puppets of China.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:14 PM

30,179 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
If we have 60 deaths due to CV out of 6000 people, yes that is 1%. If we have 60 deaths due to CV out of 100,000 people the percentage of deaths is only 0.16%. Deaths due to CV is a hard number determined by death certificates not by multiplying the death rate by the number of cases, which is what you are doing. Death rate is a soft number, that is, it is derived from hard numbers, in this case the death certificates and the number of proven cases of CV. You have to start with the hard numbers.

Most experts put the death rate from 1-3%. .16% is way out of that range.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Why not? See my previous post. Number of deaths is a hard number. From that we calculate the death rate, not the other way around.

Like I just replied to you the death rate appears to be 1-3%. So your .16% figure is way off. Reality is if someone is not tested for coronavirus and dies they won't be counted. I don't think they are testing dead people in the morgue. To assume 57 counts all of the victims is silly. There easily could be hundreds of people or more that have wrongly been counted as a flu victims.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:17 PM

62,984 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Being infected with the Chinese Corona Virus or the Wuhan Creeping Red Death does not result in uncontrollable explosive diarrhea or extreme thirst. Why are people getting into boxing matches at Costco and stabbing each other at Sam's over bottled water? If you need 144 rolls of toilet paper when staying at home for two weeks, you probably should have seen a doctor long ago. What did people do before some marketing genius came up with the idea of putting water into small clear bottles and charging outrageous amounts for it? And why must we now "self-quarantine" rather than just "staying at home"?

Make personal hygiene great again, wash your hands as you should during any flu season, and use common sense. Call grandma rather than visit for a few weeks. (My mom's on hospice care in a nursing home so this may hasten a process already started, and I'm aware of that and have settled with it in my mind that I'm unable to visit.)

I, and I'm sure many of us, grew up drinking water from the kitchen faucet, the garden hose, a well, or if camping, a stream. I did and I survived just fine.

I went to Costco today for some routine shopping. We normally have enough stocked for a month or more and are feeling no panic. Our pantry and freezers are no more and no less full than they usually are. Anticipating a line and the opportunity to stop at a nearby coffee shop, I found probably 1,000 or more sheeple in line waiting outside just after opening time, I saw people pushing two carts at a time, each packed with 5-6 large packs of water, baby wipes, gloves, etc. It's an emotion-driven feeding frenzy.

Are the SJWs happier with the name "Covid-19" rather than what I used above? Does quarantining sound a lot more dramatic than staying at home?

I blame the media for stirring this up unnecessarily to sell stories and gain audience share. If anything needs to be shut down for a month, it's the MSM.

Chill out, lemmings. It's going to be just fine! That pallet of water won't make any difference.

My kid is home for a month and telelearning. My wife works from home and is unaffected. My work environment requires me to physically be there as it's absolutely impossible to reach into electronically from the outside, so that's where I'll be. I'd rather have things be as normal as possible but will appreciate less traffic for awhile.

Will some number of people die from this? Yes, just as with the seasonal flu but in far fewer numbers and those succumbing will likely have underlying health issues which make them susceptible - just as with the regular flu. Yes, they should take precautions and be actively protected when possible.
Thanks for the laugh. Great post and you put this thing into proper perspective. I am so slck of hearing about this virus and all the whacko's out there stock piling toilet paper, bottled water, etc. I've live through a lot of virus scares in my time but I have never in life seen people act so fearful and crazy as they are now. It's mind blowing. Geez, how are they going react during a real crisis?

Old 03-14-2020, 06:18 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Of course what I meant was one of the numbers are wrong.
Gotcha!

I know we have to have more cases than 2,836 currently known. I can't wrap my mind around the numbers he uses though. That's part pf the problem. No one knows for sure

Old 03-14-2020, 06:20 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Devin Nunes was on Fox on Watters World and said he actually had H1N1 (swine flu) in 2009 and wasn't told to 'self-isolate' or be quarantined. There was little media coverage and certainly no hysteria like today.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why...

Old 03-14-2020, 06:25 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
donald trump is truly teflon.

nothing sticks.

You could put him in a room full of coronavirus coughing on him, and he wouldn't get it.

Who the duck is watching over and protecting trump?
God wants to make sure Trump has to stick around and deal with the mess he helped create. As do I. I'm glad he tested negative.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Devin Nunes was on Fox on Watters World and said he actually had H1N1 (swine flu) in 2009 and wasn't told to 'self-isolate' or be quarantined. There was little media coverage and certainly no hysteria like today.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why...

Countries around the world are shutting their economies down to fight the virus and their real reason is some conspiracy to stop Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies