Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 07:43 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,730,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The rate would be twice as high but that rate is still very low, in the range of 0.1% which is close to that of flu.

I think the epidemiologists need to come up with a reliable figure as it will quell a lot of the panic if the actual death rate is is closer to 0.1%.

Too many conjectures floating around. No wonder people are freaking out.
Dr Fauci is putting it at about 1% which makes it 10 times more deadly than the flu. The real issue here is not having our health care system overwhelmed which reduces peoples chance of getting proper care and drives up the morbidity rate.

Coronavirus vs. the Flu: The Difference Between a 1% and 0.1% Fatality Rate Is Huge

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-rate-is-huge/

Quote:
Those who suggest that the coronavirus presents no greater threat than does the seasonal flu need to answer some questions:

Why are Italian hospitals being overrun with Covid-19 patients, and why doesn’t that happen with the seasonal flu? Why can’t that happen here?

Why are the Iranians digging mass graves that are visible from outer space?

Why did Communist China — a regime that cares much more about national strength than about human life — shut down factories and bring its economy to the brink of recession in an effort to contain the spread of the virus?

Why did Japan announce a month-long closure of all schools two weeks ago, when there were only four coronavirus deaths in the entire country?

Are we supposed to believe that the Japanese, South Koreans, and Chinese are panicky idiots who don’t understand math and science?

We don’t have to rely on (positive!) national stereotypes to grasp the size of the threat, of course. We Americans can do the elementary math ourselves. If tens of millions of Americans get a disease with a 1 percent fatality rate, it would be a national catastrophe.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
This photo is a perfect example of Americans passing the virus and why the curve in America is about to zoom way way up.

I would hazzard to guess the Ro figure for passing the virus within the US must be closer to 5. Meaning for every 1 person who gets the virus they are passing it onto 5 more people.

It is a brutal fact..large interactions like this equals more transmissions.

The only way to lower the Ro figure is to impose restrictions upon Americans that are unpopular.
This would require a strong leader who was not afraid about the economic or political heat for accepting scientific facts.

If I was looking at airports in SE Asia that looked anything like O'Hare right now, it would be a no brainer. I would not fly. However, the fact is airports here in SE Asia are largely empty. My flight to Singapore leaves in 6 hours.

Currently, I am leaning on not flying.
If our country was handling this situation better, all of those people would be wearing masks. That would help tremendously even if it cannot completely stop Coronavirus transmission at 100%.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:45 PM

30,178 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
If our country was handling this situation better, all of those people would be wearing masks. That would help tremendously even if it cannot completely stop Coronavirus transmission at 100%.

Good point they should have passed them out.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:48 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Which has always been true for the flu every year. Yet 'crickets' every year.
This isn’t a conspiracy. Deal with it.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:48 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Good point they should have passed them out.
Shortage of masks in the USA. They are even being rationed in some health care facilities.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:49 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
What happens when plan thrown into air. Do not prepare the staff for the large influx. Contact managers or put it by them.

The Impeached White Collar Criminal (Trump) showing the country once again, how after 3 years in office, he is still not up for the job.
Yep. “Best insulting nickname in tweets” is a great addition to your CV if applying for a job as a carnival barker, but as a President, being a leader of men while recognizing that you don’t know everything and taking advice from experts is a better attribute. That’s why Trump is singularly unqualified for his current role.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:56 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Which has always been true for the flu every year. Yet 'crickets' every year.
Probably half the country or more, don't even take the flu shot.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Many countries have put in travel bans besides the US.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...vilian-workers
The U.S. and countries around the world continued to adapt to the spreading coronavirus pandemic by imposing new restrictions Saturday, as the virus upended travel plans, pushed back elections and forced major companies to adapt.

This article lists all the countries and their travel bans
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ans/index.html
Yes many have. But I don't think that is a good reason to excuse bad planning here in the USA.

This is not rocket science.

They knew how many planes would be coming in, at what time, how many people and they had existing facilities,. THey knew they had to screen each passenger.......

Old 03-14-2020, 07:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Can We Just Turn Down the Drama Over This?

Can the **Mainstream Liberal Media** turn down the drama over ANYTHING??? That's where it's all coming from, you know.

Can the Pope stop being Catholic?
What drama have you seen?

How people interpret information being relayed to them is on them.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:02 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have been following your dilemma. What happens if you stay put?
If I stay put in Langkawi Malaysia the risks are minimal.

I believe if I fly the risks are also minimal.

However, I am thinking now the fact that I will be stuck on the wrong island means movement is pointless.

The Philippines virus fall out economically will be tremendous. I just read this morning that 6 billion USD in funds was coming from all the Filipino workers on cruiseships alone. Many Filipinos were also working in the middle-East and those figures are going down. Those funds sent home to relatives is largely gone as well as all the great bulk of tourist income.

Owing to this I question whether there may be social dangers being in the Philippines if incomes are gone. There is less risk of that here in Malaysia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies