Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 07:21 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So panic was created with Trump's travel restrictions, resulting in hoards of people at the airports in the USA at the same time...sharing the love. ChicagoO'Hare -- 3 hours for screening.......minimum. One guy on twitter claimed a three hour line and not at baggage claim yet.

Thousands of people packed in like sardines --- wow --- that was well planned.
Many countries have put in travel bans besides the US.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...vilian-workers
The U.S. and countries around the world continued to adapt to the spreading coronavirus pandemic by imposing new restrictions Saturday, as the virus upended travel plans, pushed back elections and forced major companies to adapt.

This article lists all the countries and their travel bans
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ans/index.html

Old 03-14-2020, 07:23 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Here's the John Hopkins link. He said 25 to 50, I just went with 50. 25 would make a big difference.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...coronavirus-in

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So panic was created with Trump's travel restrictions, resulting in hoards of people at the airports in the USA at the same time...sharing the love. ChicagoO'Hare -- 3 hours for screening.......minimum. One guy on twitter claimed a three hour line and not at baggage claim yet.

Thousands of people packed in like sardines --- wow --- that was well planned.https://twitter.com/BrookeGMcDonald/...86272137502720
This photo is a perfect example of Americans passing the virus and why the curve in America is about to zoom way way up.

I would hazzard to guess the Ro figure for passing the virus within the US must be closer to 5. Meaning for every 1 person who gets the virus they are passing it onto 5 more people.

It is a brutal fact..large interactions like this equals more transmissions.

The only way to lower the Ro figure is to impose restrictions upon Americans that are unpopular.
This would require a strong leader who was not afraid about the economic or political heat for accepting scientific facts.

If I was looking at airports in SE Asia that looked anything like O'Hare right now, it would be a no brainer. I would not fly. However, the fact is airports here in SE Asia are largely empty. My flight to Singapore leaves in 6 hours.

Currently, I am leaning on not flying.

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Death rate means the percentage of those who got the flu or Covid-19 and then die. For example, the deatth rate of the flu is .1%. For CV, it is said to be as high as 3.4% depending on who you listen to
If you are under 70, the mortality rate is much lower. Also any respiratory or cardiovascular conditions significantly increase your risk of death.

Have heard numbers that as much at 50% of human population could eventually get it. I have never heard that once you've had it - if you have immunity from the next round?

Old 03-14-2020, 07:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They don't know what the mortality rate of coronavirus is because they don't have enough testing kits. Even if they had more, they would only be testing people with symptoms, and probably only severe cases. It costs thousands of dollars to have this test done, last I heard.

From what I have read, 80% of cases for young, healthy people are mild or asymptomatic. These people aren't going to shell out big bucks to find out if their cold is really coronavirus. They are going to blow their nose, and hopefully wash their hands a lot and stay away from the public if they can, if we are lucky. But the point is, these people are not being counted when trying to determine the mortality rate of this very new disease. It's what we don't know about it that is really freaking people out, and the media is definitely not helping the situation by pushing more fear.
You heard wrong.

No way public and private insurers are paying $ thousands for a Corona test.

Where the test is administered is also a factor of cost which is one of many reasons why “ drive- thru” testing is the most efficient way to test the masses, the way they have been doing in South Korea. Who administers the test ( swabbing) is also a factor of cost. One does not need any particular medical skill to take a swab. It’s a simple process.

On New Year”# Day, none of us could have imagined:

Entire countries, or states or cities on lockdown with only grocers and pharmacies open, and

Countries closing all borders, and

Hundreds of school districts closing for weeks, and

Cruise ships being denied entry to scheduled ports, let alone being grateful Cambodia allowed your ship to dock but no disembarkation, and

Disney Land/ World closing, and

Broadway going dark, and

Nearly three years of market gains being wiped out, and

Millions of people loosing their minds and hoarding toilet paper..

And like everything, this too shall pass and potentially re-emerge in the autumn.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
A friend just sent this to me. For all of you who think what is happening in Italy can't happen here, please take a look.
We are number 80 on the list with 3.3 hospital beds per 1000 population. Italy is number 57 with 4.4 hospital beds per 1000.

Health > Hospital beds > Per 1,000 people: Countries Compared

Old 03-14-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
If you are under 70, the mortality rate is much lower. Also any respiratory or cardiovascular conditions significantly increase your risk of death.

Have heard numbers that as much at 50% of human population could eventually get it. I have never heard that once you've had it - if you have immunity from the next round?
It is unknown if/ how immunity will occur. Viruses constantly mutate.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
This photo is a perfect example of Americans passing the virus and why the curve in America is about to zoom way way up.

I would hazzard to guess the Ro figure for passing the virus within the US must be closer to 5. Meaning for every 1 person who gets the virus they are passing it onto 5 more people.

It is a brutal fact..large interactions like this equals more transmissions.

The only way to lower the Ro figure is to impose restrictions upon Americans that are unpopular.
This would require a strong leader who was not afraid about the economic or political heat for accepting scientific facts.

If I was looking at airports in SE Asia that looked anything like O'Hare right now, it would be a no brainer. I would not fly. However, the fact is airports here in SE Asia are largely empty. My flight to Singapore leaves in 6 hours.

Currently, I am leaning on not flying.
I have been following your dilemma. What happens if you stay put?

Old 03-14-2020, 07:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Here's the John Hopkins link. He said 25 to 50, I just went with 50. 25 would make a big difference.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...coronavirus-in
The rate would be twice as high but that rate is still very low, in the range of 0.1% which is close to that of flu.

I think the epidemiologists need to come up with a reliable figure as it will quell a lot of the panic if the actual death rate is is closer to 0.1%.

Too many conjectures floating around. No wonder people are freaking out.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,290 times
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Word of the Day: "rate"
I have no idea what your point is or what you're trying to communicate by your response. I'm not being facetious. If you would, please expound on what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies