Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 05:35 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I decided to completely shut off my news both tv and mobile this weekend, and today decided to drive down to the Great Smokies area (I live about 90 minutes away).

Thinking there would not be many folks doing the same, I was honestly really SHOCKED to see bumper to bumper traffic in Sevierville as usual, and it inched along the parkway into Pigeon Forge, just like a heavy summer day volumed traffic pattern.

I was talking to a few people at ths Starbucks, Chipotle, Jcrew and Nike outlets down there today, and every single person said "I"m just washing my hands. It's blown out of proportion."

There was extra hand sanitizer in a few places, and I have to admit I was a bit more cautious going into restrooms (paper towel on sink and door handle), but the area was packed like nothing was going on out of the ordinary.

Also, my sister went to Folley Beach, SC today and she said it is absolutely packed there too.

I think folks just need to use common sense and wash their hands. I think the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions seem most susceptible, with what I have read.

And btw, shutting off the news and getting out and about helps tremendously. If you watched the news all day, you'd think the world was over.
“Washing your hands” is a comically denialist suggestion considering the virus remains airborne for three hours.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 PM

43,125 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
American numbers of slowly getting updated as the day drags to a cose. at 7:30 pm, we're up to 2836 total cases, 589 news one today and 57 deaths, 8 of them today. Those are the numbers we know about

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
NY alone had over 100 new cases today.
I found this site. When you click on the state you get details with counties affected. Just the US/Canada though but it's a good site for drill down.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Old 03-14-2020, 05:39 PM

43,125 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
“Washing your hands” is a comically denialist suggestion considering the virus remains airborne for three hours.
Source link please.

From what I've found, nothing is definite as this is an evolving new virus.

https://www.wired.com/story/they-say...-borne-by-air/
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...2.article-info

Last edited by TMSRetired; 03-14-2020 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 05:39 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
BREAKING NEWS

President Trump tests NEGATIVE for the coronavirus

https://www.thedailybeast.com/presid...virus-covid-19

Old 03-14-2020, 05:40 PM

15,533 posts, read 10,507,413 times
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...d-15131830.php

Free food in Houston.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:41 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Being infected with the Chinese Corona Virus or the Wuhan Creeping Red Death does not result in uncontrollable explosive diarrhea or extreme thirst. Why are people getting into boxing matches at Costco and stabbing each other at Sam's over bottled water? If you need 144 rolls of toilet paper when staying at home for two weeks, you probably should have seen a doctor long ago. What did people do before some marketing genius came up with the idea of putting water into small clear bottles and charging outrageous amounts for it? And why must we now "self-quarantine" rather than just "staying at home"?

Make personal hygiene great again, wash your hands as you should during any flu season, and use common sense. Call grandma rather than visit for a few weeks. (My mom's on hospice care in a nursing home so this may hasten a process already started, and I'm aware of that and have settled with it in my mind that I'm unable to visit.)

I, and I'm sure many of us, grew up drinking water from the kitchen faucet, the garden hose, a well, or if camping, a stream. I did and I survived just fine.

I went to Costco today for some routine shopping. We normally have enough stocked for a month or more and are feeling no panic. Our pantry and freezers are no more and no less full than they usually are. Anticipating a line and the opportunity to stop at a nearby coffee shop, I found probably 1,000 or more sheeple in line waiting outside just after opening time, I saw people pushing two carts at a time, each packed with 5-6 large packs of water, baby wipes, gloves, etc. It's an emotion-driven feeding frenzy.

Are the SJWs happier with the name "Covid-19" rather than what I used above? Does quarantining sound a lot more dramatic than staying at home?

I blame the media for stirring this up unnecessarily to sell stories and gain audience share. If anything needs to be shut down for a month, it's the MSM.

Chill out, lemmings. It's going to be just fine! That pallet of water won't make any difference.

My kid is home for a month and telelearning. My wife works from home and is unaffected. My work environment requires me to physically be there as it's absolutely impossible to reach into electronically from the outside, so that's where I'll be. I'd rather have things be as normal as possible but will appreciate less traffic for awhile.

Will some number of people die from this? Yes, just as with the seasonal flu but in far fewer numbers and those succumbing will likely have underlying health issues which make them susceptible - just as with the regular flu. Yes, they should take precautions and be actively protected when possible.
It's definitely serious if you are elderly over 70ish+ and have pre-existing conditions. Otherwise, it's not that serious from what I've read and the couple nurses and doctors I've talked to.

The media is 110% guilty of turning this into a wanna be zombie apocalypse nightmare sensationalist scary thing.

Sure, folks have sadly passed away and it is a situation that needs to be kept a close watch on.

However, I went down to the Great Smoky Mountain area today on a whim, thinking there would not be many people there. Boy was I wrong. It was packed. People doing normal things and not worrying at home.

I kept off the news completely today and have watched and read zero articles. This helps to stop that madness.

The media has gone nuts over this and it is partly because the liberal side of the news with the powers above them who hate Trump, want this to be a Trump disease and rub it all in his face, and blame it on him.

That is truly the fuel behind the media constant 24/7 push.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:41 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Trump tests negative for coronavirus

Quote:
President Trump tested negative for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), according to a statement released by White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham.

Trump announced in a Saturday morning press conference that he took a coronavirus test Friday evening after being in the vicinity of several people who have tested positive for the disease.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:42 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Source link please.
Quote:
A study awaiting peer review from scientists at Princeton University, the University of California-Los Angeles and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) posted online Wednesday indicated that the COVID-19 virus could remain viable in the air "up to 3 hours post aerosolization," while remaining alive on plastic and other surfaces for up to three days.
Study: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...217v1.full.pdf

Old 03-14-2020, 05:43 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Source link please.
I'd suggest finding a good site on Covid-19. You seem to need to know what we're dealing with.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Then that means that lots of people are dying of the coronavirus but are assumed to have had the flu.
That doesn't mean any such thing. It means just what he said, that the number infected is greater than the number of confirmed. Remember there is a high percentage of mild cases. Because we are pre-screening who gets tested, many of those mild cases don't make the cut and are unconfirmed, at least here in the US. Mild cases don't die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies