Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 04:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
I highly recommend reading this entire thread on twitter...fascinating stuff about COVID19 morbidity.

https://twitter.com/kuhnmo/status/1238421146837684224
It's interesting but there isn't much to draw from it either medically or politically.

The sample sizes Are just too small at this point...thankfully.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:39 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
I highly recommend reading this entire thread on twitter...fascinating stuff about COVID19 morbidity.

Random musing here: It seems that countries that have managed COVID-19 stand out in two important ways from the countries that have not.

1. Transparent and competent government that citizens trust AND
2. A spirit of collectivism/cooperation among the citizenry

We have neither in the United States.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Random musing here: It seems that countries that have managed COVID-19 stand out in two important ways from the countries that have not.

1. Transparent and competent government that citizens trust AND
2. A spirit of collectivism/cooperation among the citizenry

We have neither in the United States.
What about Australia? Just an outlier?

Old 03-14-2020, 04:46 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What about Australia? Just an outlier?
I don't know much about Australia. But Iran and Italy are known for political corruption. So it's not so surprising to me that an outbreak reaches epic proportions when (a) the government lies about the severity of it and (b) people have little confidence in the central government.

I imagine a country like Japan can tackle an epidemic much more effectively since the population as a whole is more civic-minded. In the U.S., people aren't going to allow some stranger's health to get in the way of having a good time tonight.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:49 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Default Can We Just Turn Down the Drama Over This?

Being infected with the Chinese Corona Virus or the Wuhan Creeping Red Death does not result in uncontrollable explosive diarrhea or extreme thirst. Why are people getting into boxing matches at Costco and stabbing each other at Sam's over bottled water? If you need 144 rolls of toilet paper when staying at home for two weeks, you probably should have seen a doctor long ago. What did people do before some marketing genius came up with the idea of putting water into small clear bottles and charging outrageous amounts for it? And why must we now "self-quarantine" rather than just "staying at home"?

Make personal hygiene great again, wash your hands as you should during any flu season, and use common sense. Call grandma rather than visit for a few weeks. (My mom's on hospice care in a nursing home so this may hasten a process already started, and I'm aware of that and have settled with it in my mind that I'm unable to visit.)

I, and I'm sure many of us, grew up drinking water from the kitchen faucet, the garden hose, a well, or if camping, a stream. I did and I survived just fine.

I went to Costco today for some routine shopping. We normally have enough stocked for a month or more and are feeling no panic. Our pantry and freezers are no more and no less full than they usually are. Anticipating a line and the opportunity to stop at a nearby coffee shop, I found probably 1,000 or more sheeple in line waiting outside just after opening time, I saw people pushing two carts at a time, each packed with 5-6 large packs of water, baby wipes, gloves, etc. It's an emotion-driven feeding frenzy.

Are the SJWs happier with the name "Covid-19" rather than what I used above? Does quarantining sound a lot more dramatic than staying at home?

I blame the media for stirring this up unnecessarily to sell stories and gain audience share. If anything needs to be shut down for a month, it's the MSM.

Chill out, lemmings. It's going to be just fine! That pallet of water won't make any difference.

My kid is home for a month and telelearning. My wife works from home and is unaffected. My work environment requires me to physically be there as it's absolutely impossible to reach into electronically from the outside, so that's where I'll be. I'd rather have things be as normal as possible but will appreciate less traffic for awhile.

Will some number of people die from this? Yes, just as with the seasonal flu but in far fewer numbers and those succumbing will likely have underlying health issues which make them susceptible - just as with the regular flu. Yes, they should take precautions and be actively protected when possible.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:57 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:

I read that the median age of those who die from Corona in Italy is 82 years.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:01 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,641 times
The Republicans have the White House. A Soviet style food shortage happens. The right wingers I know are blaming Obama. LMAO.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:05 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I read that the median age of those who die from Corona in Italy is 82 years.
Italy has a high average age, so it bears to reason that most of the deaths are of older folks. I believe as this virus spreads, it will begin affecting everyone adversely. A lot of the new cases on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries are younger folks

Old 03-14-2020, 05:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
There is news that the Erasmus university in Rotterdam has developed a cure for the virus. They are looking for a pharma company to manufacture the substance.

https://innovationorigins.com/dutch-...irus-antibody/

Old 03-14-2020, 05:08 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Absolutely not. The Dems have no other way to gain other than creating pure panic that they hope will crash the economy.

Russia/Mueller flop. Impeachment flop. Lets hope this is a Wuhanvirus Economy Disaster flop. Make them cry again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies