Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 09:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVhg...&feature=share

You have to admire Trumps ability to ignore and turn on someone when asked a question that he doesn’t want to answer.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:21 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Probably half the country or more, don't even take the flu shot.
In 2018 according to CDC, 37.1% of Americans got the flu shot

Old 03-14-2020, 09:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Just think how much better off we'd be if martial law had been put into place a couple weeks earlier!

No other government in the world is better prepared for something like this than we are.

To do what some in here suggest is absolutely impossible.

It's nothing but armchair quarterbacks with hindsight to make themselves feel like they're the smartest on the planet, when it makes them look like fools.

Not here!

2700 cases with 58 dead. That's less about 2% and 1/2 of those were in one nursing home. I pray it'll be on the low side of the .1-1.0% range they predict.

Again, I'd rather be in the US than any other country. Who would prefer to be somewhere else?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronaviru...ry?id=69593951
Of course you want to be where you live when a crisis like this happens.

I'm a Canadian who got American citizenship in 2008, I'd be okay with being in Canada......I'm okay being here in the USA but I still can say we aren't leading the way at all during this crisis.

All the strategies Trump is implementing from restricting travel, encouraging social distancing, etc....is all strategies that are globally accepted and being used.

This admin. seems to be plagued with misinformation and there is nothing anyone can seem to do to fix it. That's a big down fall during a crisis.

I'm glad you are happy with everything. But that doesn't mean it's not being mismanaged on many levels.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They have already identified 2 different strains. And they don't know if you get long term immunity if you catch it. If it mutates like the flu then you can catch it again.
Of course there are many unknowns, like there could be more than two major strains by now around the world, will it be seasonal (you already said you believe it won't be), how long is immunity, a few months, a year, and will all or any of these potential vaccines even work?

The point I was making with the public health and the economy, it's a very hard topic on how to proceed. I like the "delay method" and try to stagger the infections as much as we can to flatten the curve (and hopefully reduce our fatalities) and also at the same time try not to destroy the entire economy too much, which could have much longer lasting effects than this current coronavirus.

Can it me done, maybe, I don't know?

Old 03-14-2020, 09:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This flu is not limited to the US

There are 156K confirmed and 5800 deaths per Johns Hopkins site

5800/156,000 = .037 = 3.7% death rate and that is evolving
The scary part...the rate is going up, not down.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
Right, but we in the US can't control how other countries are handling Coronavirus patients (and vice-versa) so my focus was and is primarily about the cases here in the US, in which I am a citizen and where most of the posters, on C-D, live.

Even if the death rate for the disease in one country is x number of people that doesn't mean it will be the same in ours due to nuances as well as stark differences. There are many factors to consider when looking at death rates from viruses, diseases, etc. One of those is the quality of a countries' healthcare system, how healthcare is paid for, and the overall health of the population prior to the virus outbreak. Without calling names, we know some countries have high obesity rates which means a lot of people with pre-existing health conditions for the most part. Another country, who will remain nameless, has a low obesity but a high number of smokers, like super high number of smokers. Smokers' immune systems has a lower tolerance in fighting off respiratory illnesses.

In some countries, socio-economics have everything to do with the quality of care an individual receives. Level of hygiene, social norms and customs, how responsive a countries' govt is to this virus, as well as other factors all impact the transmission rates as well as the death rates from one country to another. So while there is a 3.7% death rate from the Coronavirus worldwide, that doesn't have to be the death rate in our country. However, if the mere act of having more masks available for the public is currently too complicated of a concept for our gov't to grasp, then I hate to think of what the death rate might skyrocket to here in the US due to incompetence in other areas of dealing with this virus.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 03-14-2020 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 09:28 PM

30,178 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Of course there are many unknowns, like there could be more than two major strains by now around the world, will it be seasonal (you already said you believe it won't be), how long is immunity, a few months, a year?

In some areas 14% of people get it a 2nd time.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...positive-again

So who knows about immunity. And its raging in the southern hemisphere so I am not sure about it being seasonal.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thanks for articulating this. According to CNN.com as of a few minutes ago, there are 2,800 coronavirus cases and 58 deaths. That means the death rate is 0.020% as of today. People should vet who they listen to and believe. Also, they should do the math themselves to vet what is being stated.

The post I originally questioned stated that the death rate from the flu of 2019-2020 (in the US), was only a fraction of Corona. Wait, what?? Unless that poster has information that no one else has, that is not true according to documented deaths as of 3/14/20 from Coronavirus in the US. Maybe the poster meant to say the death rate of the seasonal flu of 2019-2020 is "potentially" only a fraction of the number of deaths predicted to occur from Coronavirus? We don't know. All we know is what they actually stated as if it was a documented fact; but it's actually currently UNTRUE and misleading.

When the population is already in a panic, it helps no one to hear fear-inducing declarations of death and doom. Understandably, this virus is to be taken seriously because it has the "potential" to be catastrophic but that should be communicated without using hyperbolic and over the topic predictions.
Most experts agree the number will increase substantially. America has barely began testing patients. Now mayb the mortality rate will remain very low for America, but if it does, it will be the only spot in the world with a lot of cases where that is the case. You said each of us should vet who we listen to. I chose among others Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, who has been testifying in front of Congress about Covid-19 and also helping Trump with the situation. He does not believe we are going to see a mortality rate that low when we tested more folks.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 03-14-2020 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 09:33 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Where did you learn to do math??

Total cases in the USA at the time you ran the numbers: 2800
Deaths at that time: 58

58 / 2800 = 0.0207 = 2%

Hint: You're supposed to move the decimal over two places because "percent" means "per 100".
Sorry, I didn't finish converting my figure to a percentage before conflating the two. You're right.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:37 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The Trump administration has left high levels of the federal government infested with incompetent fools, whose main qualification is a willingness to cover for the boss. We have a national emergency, but nobody even picked up the phone to tell McConnell he had to come in to work on Saturday.

Trump is so focused on dismantling everything Obama ever did that he fired the whole National Security Council's Pandemic Response Team. Obama put it in place because SARS, MERS, and Ebola represented a real threat to US security, not to mention the possibility of biological warfare.

Trump bootlicker Alex Azar proceeded to make idiotic choices, like blocking recruitment of world class experts because they might embarrass the Idiot In Chief. We could have bought the Covid-19 tests from Germany and been testing for two months, except that might have embarrassed the Idiot In Chief.

The stock market panic can be laid directly at the feet of Trump's obsession with numbers. Nobody at the highest levels of US government has the nerve to tell the truth. The CDC has been blocking testing. Individual states have had to develop their own tests because of obstruction from the Trump administration.

Investors are not stupid. They know the whole Trump administration has been lying to them. Powell dropped interest rates and injected $1.5 trillion into the money supply, which settled the waters for a bit, but this is a marathon, not a sprint. Everybody knows the US economy will shrink 5% by July, and the recession has already started. Top money managers don't have the luxury of being True Believers. If you want to pick up corporate bonds, you can buy them really cheap.
Very well said Larry, and so sadly accurate.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Sorry, I didn't finish converting my figure to a percentage before conflating the two. You're right.
Don't feel bad. I didn't catch it either. I hope that rate falls back to what Dr. Fauci believes it will be, 1% and not 2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies