Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:18 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,225,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
They're more independent minded.
Yep. And somewhere in time, Charles Darwin is laughing his ass off at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 03:18 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What would it take to convince you not to go out unless absolutely necessary?

I ask as I try to convince my own parents, with underlying issues(asthma, copd, high cholestorol/bp, etc) from going out. They're on the other side of the country in a Florida retirement community. They're not taking it very seriously, just upset that activities are being cancelled but still going out and about. They're still going off the dismissive tone they got from Fox News.

For those of us concerned about our parents, what would it take to convince them?
When you say "out and about" what do you mean exactly? Getting groceries? Going to scheduled doctor appointments? What?

You apparently are not available to do those things.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What would it take to convince you not to go out unless absolutely necessary?

I ask as I try to convince my own parents, with underlying issues(asthma, copd, high cholestorol/bp, etc) from going out. They're on the other side of the country in a Florida retirement community. They're not taking it very seriously, just upset that activities are being cancelled but still going out and about. They're still going off the dismissive tone they got from Fox News.

For those of us concerned about our parents, what would it take to convince them?
Laws, apparently. My bestie is over 60 and her husband is 74 and they won't stop. My Dad is 81 and he won't stop. He doesn't do activities away from work and home, but he should shut his office.

Aunt and Uncle in NYC wouldn't stop until performances were cancelled. Too late for them, they have it.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:21 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When you say "out and about" what do you mean exactly? Getting groceries? Going to scheduled doctor appointments? What?

You apparently are not available to do those things.
Well today they took their car in for service...when they don't even drive around that often with it as they live in one of those retirement communities built around golf carts. They waited on the service in the dealer waiting room.

And yeah, literally in the opposite corner of the country.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:22 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Because people that don’t listen don’t realize that it’s not just about them, they can help spread it to others.

So if you decided to go out to beach because “it doesn’t affect me and I can take itâ€, you come accross someone that has it, you become a carrier, and pass by someone’s grandfather the next day at the market and he happens to grab the box of crackers that you were previously holding, he goes home to get his wife sick and she is going through chemo.
When do you declare it's okay to resume normal lives? People contract different diseases like flu from others all the time, with varying degrees of consequence.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Remind them of all of the workers who lost their jobs when businesses were ordered to close and all of the small businesses owners who lost their livelihood in order to help keep them safe. Ask them to do their part by staying home.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:28 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Some people refuse to live their lives like cowards.

We are all going to die. It is just a matter of when.

What person who is not a coward wants to live their life, wringing their hands, panicked and in a state of hiding, waiting for some so-called "expert" to tell them it is ok to start living their life again.

I am not over 65 and I do know that this virus provides a serious threat to some people. I am confident that your parents know this too. But we might die at any time, from a heart attack, or a car wreck, or a terrorist attack, or any of a million different causes.

Just because we might die is not a reason to capitulate to the hysterical mass media led mob and allow them to dictate the conditions for whatever time you have left.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:30 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
They're more independent minded.
Or not as bright.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
It's a matter of personal preference, risk vs normalcy in this case. It's similar to this: If a doctor tells someone they should stop eating bacon and drinking beer, or will pass on 3 years sooner. That person may decide that the bacon and beer are worth it to them. As an older (67) and medically compromised person, I work from home most days, but if I do have to go in, I have a private office
and very few others are there. I do not go to stores or restaurants. This morning I had a doctor's appointment and it was a nice treat to take the 20 minute drive on a nice sunny day.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:34 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
We are 65 and are staying home as are most of our friends. One friend is 74 with a ton of health problems and goes out to a store once a day to get out. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies