Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:52 PM

993 posts, read 767,520 times

Advertisements

We are retired, in our 60s. I’m prone to bronchitis/pneumonia and haven’t been out of the house in 2 weeks except to walk down our empty street. My husband went to the grocery store Monday. For the week previous to that, all he’s done is 2 grocery runs.

Now we will have groceries delivered. We aren’t allowing anyone inside our home. We have cancelled all appts as none of them were an emergency. We will be housebound for as long as it takes. We're extremely fortunate to be able to isolate ourselves.

My 87 yo mother, on the other hand, lives in a retirement center and is raising holy hell because they’ve cancelled the bus service to the grocery store. She gets 2 meals a day....what she needs groceries for, I don’t know.

My mom watches only Fox News and will only read the Washington Times. She thinks Tucker is being manipulated by the “deep state” when he claims the virus is serious. She believes the CDC and our governor are lying to the public to bring down Trump.

She went out this past Sunday with a few of her buddies...one of whom still drives. They went to a restaurant in Virginia as a lark. As a way of telling the world....F you....this is nothing but a hoax.

When they returned, before they were allowed back into the retirement center, they were questioned by the retirement center administration. All four are now on a 14 day quarantine. Meals are brought to them...they have to stay in their apartments.

I’m am appalled, but hardly surprised, by this selfish behavior. If any of them get sick, I say they are on their own. Why expend precious resources, like ventilators, on them? Yes, I'm talking about my mom too. I am furious with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 03:52 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
President Trump says lots of things and I am not looking for Trump to tell me what to think about any of this. And I am looking for the media to tell me what to think about this, or anything for that matter, even less.

This virus cannot be stopped prematurely. It will infect all the people it can until there are not enough uninfected people left for it continue to spread. If we hide and hope it goes away, that will just drag this whole process out longer. Herd immunity must be achieved, hopefully in something approaching an orderly manner.

The doctors are being responsible when they warn that we do not have the resources to treat too many people at one time and that we could have a humanitarian crisis on our hands if hospitalized cases substantially exceed our resources to treat them. Certainly that justifies their recommendations. That is a good reason for the people that are at risk to self quarantine, but for our entire society to shut down is mass folly.

However, shutting down our entire society is not going to work. Most people do not have the financial resources to sustain themselves effectively in hiding over what could easily be 12-18 months. Also, it is not human nature to live like this. People will not do it. Watch and see.

We are not designed to live according to the dictates of overseers like this. That is at the core of your lack of understanding here. Die, we will. But to be controlled in this manner, in these sorts of circumstances, just sitting in your house or apartment or whatever, cringing in fear, waiting for the overseers to give permission to start living again....

This is just not going to work like this, even if your overseers have imagined otherwise. They are wrong if they believe that it will, and with all due respect, so are you.
So basically it's going to take martial law with armed checkpoints to keep you from spreading?

Old 03-19-2020, 03:54 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
President Trump says lots of things and I am not looking for Trump to tell me what to think about any of this. And I am looking for the media to tell me what to think about this, or anything for that matter, even less.

This virus cannot be stopped prematurely. It will infect all the people it can until there are not enough uninfected people left for it continue to spread. If we hide and hope it goes away, that will just drag this whole process out longer. Herd immunity must be achieved, hopefully in something approaching an orderly manner.

The doctors are being responsible when they warn that we do not have the resources to treat too many people at one time and that we could have a humanitarian crisis on our hands if hospitalized cases substantially exceed our resources to treat them. Certainly that justifies their recommendations. That is a good reason for the people that are at risk to self quarantine, but for our entire society to shut down is mass folly.

However, shutting down our entire society is not going to work. Most people do not have the financial resources to sustain themselves effectively in hiding over what could easily be 12-18 months. Also, it is not human nature to live like this. People will not do it. Watch and see.

We are not designed to live according to the dictates of overseers like this. That is at the core of your lack of understanding here. Die, we will. But to be controlled in this manner, in these sorts of circumstances, just sitting in your house or apartment or whatever, cringing in fear, waiting for the overseers to give permission to start living again....

This is just not going to work like this, even if your overseers have imagined otherwise. They are wrong if they believe that it will, and with all due respect, so are you.
It’s been too late to stop it. The point is to slow it down and reduce the infection rate.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:55 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So basically it's going to take martial law with armed checkpoints to keep you from spreading?
That is not going to happen. But it takes a leftist to fantasize about something like that. Control freaks, to the core.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:58 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
That is what it appears to take for most people. In Texas, the governor didn't close restaurants until this morning. As of last night, cities that didn't close them, places were packed.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It’s been too late to stop it. The point is to slow it down and reduce the infection rate.
NY officials keep ranting about the Feds, but they didn't close things as soon as they could have. Broadway was not closed until the 12th.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:00 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Conservatives:

https://youtu.be/nxMMElT61A8

Old 03-19-2020, 04:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:

I guess you could consider that approach to keep your parents home.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:09 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:

For those of us concerned about our parents, what would it take to convince them?
You can't. Once they get it, they will go to the emergency room most likely and give it to the entire hospital staff

Just accept the fact this is what is going to happen and pray that they don't catch it.

We cannot change what others do, we can only change how we react. You don't go out and you protect yourself, this is all you can do.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:12 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
That is not going to happen. But it takes a leftist to fantasize about something like that. Control freaks, to the core.
Having some military connections...checkpoints/some sort of enforcement mechanism is something that is being talked about and planned for. Whether we get to the point of activating something like that? We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies