Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 04:13 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times

Advertisements

When I go to the Grocery store, I just cough a lot and everyone tends to give me lots of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 04:16 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's a matter of personal preference, risk vs normalcy in this case. It's similar to this: If a doctor tells someone they should stop eating bacon and drinking beer, or will pass on 3 years sooner. That person may decide that the bacon and beer are worth it to them. As an older (67) and medically compromised person, I work from home most days, but if I do have to go in, I have a private office
and very few others are there. I do not go to stores or restaurants. This morning I had a doctor's appointment and it was a nice treat to take the 20 minute drive on a nice sunny day.
You are missing the point. It's not about them. It's about the fact that they could infect someone else. It's th same reason to vaccinate an entire population.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:21 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
We are retired, in our 60s. I’m prone to bronchitis/pneumonia and haven’t been out of the house in 2 weeks except to walk down our empty street. My husband went to the grocery store Monday. For the week previous to that, all he’s done is 2 grocery runs.

Now we will have groceries delivered. We aren’t allowing anyone inside our home. We have cancelled all appts as none of them were an emergency. We will be housebound for as long as it takes. We're extremely fortunate to be able to isolate ourselves.

My 87 yo mother, on the other hand, lives in a retirement center and is raising holy hell because they’ve cancelled the bus service to the grocery store. She gets 2 meals a day....what she needs groceries for, I don’t know.

My mom watches only Fox News and will only read the Washington Times. She thinks Tucker is being manipulated by the “deep state” when he claims the virus is serious. She believes the CDC and our governor are lying to the public to bring down Trump.

She went out this past Sunday with a few of her buddies...one of whom still drives. They went to a restaurant in Virginia as a lark. As a way of telling the world....F you....this is nothing but a hoax.

When they returned, before they were allowed back into the retirement center, they were questioned by the retirement center administration. All four are now on a 14 day quarantine. Meals are brought to them...they have to stay in their apartments.

I’m am appalled, but hardly surprised, by this selfish behavior. If any of them get sick, I say they are on their own. Why expend precious resources, like ventilators, on them? Yes, I'm talking about my mom too. I am furious with her.
Well, if you idiot leftists and the media hadn't been trying to do this very thing all along, maybe people would have believed it from the start. Ever heard of the Boy Who Cried Wolf?

Old 03-19-2020, 04:23 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
One Doctor’s Life on the Coronavirus Front Lines. ‘If We Fail, What Happens to You All?’

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-we-f...es-11583344415

can your mom or dad answer this question?!

I tried to convince my ER doctor uncle to quit his job, and he said, "I can't do that."

and you are telling me some of these old folks cannot even stay at home? really? Stay your old ass home, be a patriot.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:23 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
I’m getting sick of people in social media pointing out that when someone dies they had pre existing conditions . Do you know how many people have pre existing conditions ??? Millions and millions . Maybe someone doesn’t have prexisting conditions today doesn’t mean they won’t in 5 or ten years . By then the coronavirus can kill them . People are sick nowadays

Old 03-19-2020, 04:24 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Well, if you idiot leftists and the media hadn't been trying to do this very thing all along, maybe people would have believed it from the start. Ever heard of the Boy Who Cried Wolf?
https://youtu.be/ifKbwDf51bA

https://youtu.be/xfPk1HIBLfM

Old 03-19-2020, 04:24 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Maybe if Fox News had been responsible in their reporting more seniors would have understood how serious this was two and a half months ago and not continued to expose themselves unnecessarily. Fox is complicit in keeping the elderly misinformed, and it will be to their own detriment.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:25 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I'm 66 and my husband is 63, and we have voluntarily self-isolated except for a weekly grocery run, one possible trip to Home Depot to pick up a new vanity we ordered, and two home repair visits. That is because we want to enjoy retirement together as much as possible and are looking forward to moving out-of-state to our new home, which is now being built.

If we were ten years older, we would probably be much like your parents because we too mostly believe in the quote, "A life lived in fear is a life half-lived", but because we are just starting retirement and our "dream home" will soon be waiting for us, we will do everything possible to actually move there and live there for at least ten more years. So, I guess what I am saying is that people have to have something that continues to makes life worth living for them. It doesn't really matter what YOU want, but I think the key is to remind them of what they have to look forward to -- whether it is a trip to Europe, watching their grandchildren grow up, or even something as simple as a holiday celebration they enjoy. Unless your parents are susceptible to being "guilted" by you, bullying them or constantly bombarding them statistics and facts will accomplish nothing.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-19-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 04:30 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
My parents are out more than we would like. We keep telling them that we will run errands for them but they want to do them. Both of my parents are extremely healthy, with my mother being quite fit. But they are still in their mid to upper 60s.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:31 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Trump was exposed to people with Coronavirus 12 days ago and should have been in quarantine for 14 days to protect others. This is supposed to take place when anyone is exposed, regardless of age. Even if they test negative prior to the 14 days, they are still supposed to be isolated from others, since a positive could appear at the end of the 14 day period even if they previously tested negative.

Trump is not following social distancing when in the pressers. The press room is way too small and the pressers should be done outdoors so that adequate social distancing can be practiced by members of the press as well as those speaking.

It is a disgrace that he is endangering everyone that attends those pressers via 1) not being in isolation for 14 days and 2) not providing a space large enough for proper social distancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies