Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 02:05 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times

Advertisements

What would it take to convince you not to go out unless absolutely necessary?

I ask as I try to convince my own parents, with underlying issues(asthma, copd, high cholestorol/bp, etc) from going out. They're on the other side of the country in a Florida retirement community. They're not taking it very seriously, just upset that activities are being cancelled but still going out and about. They're still going off the dismissive tone they got from Fox News.

For those of us concerned about our parents, what would it take to convince them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 02:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
I like to imagine that most people can be convinced with facts, except, unfortunately, from my own experience, and even in this forum, it's apparent that it doesn't work.

It's interesting that they watch Fox, and maybe the first thing to do is to coax them to broaden out their viewing. Tell them about some great program - not a news program, but something fun - that you've seen on PBS. In other words, start them in a new direction, although that will take a while to bear fruit. Then, you might try sending them short articles with some statistics. Send them the actual print-out of the article, not a link. Then, if you happen to know their doctor, call him and beg him to reach out to them to warn them. And when you talk to them, don't yell and lecturing them in an alarmist way. Speak to them from the standpoint of loving them and wanting the best for them. Also, for the long-term, for Mother's/Father's Day, buy them subscriptions to one or two health magazines.

I'm encountering the opposite problem, of elderly friends who are irrationally terrified.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:57 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Tell them you got it and you’re coming to visit.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:59 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Overall, the South hasn't taken this coronavirus threat nearly as serious as the people in the north.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:59 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
When does this stop? What's the time limit on demanding a subset of people not to participate in everyday life? Because you really care about them.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:01 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Overall, the South hasn't taken this coronavirus threat nearly as serious as the people in the north.
They're more independent minded.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:05 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
When does this stop? What's the time limit on demanding a subset of people not to participate in everyday life? Because you really care about them.
Because people that don’t listen don’t realize that it’s not just about them, they can help spread it to others.

So if you decided to go out to beach because “it doesn’t affect me and I can take it”, you come accross someone that has it, you become a carrier, and pass by someone’s grandfather the next day at the market and he happens to grab the box of crackers that you were previously holding, he goes home to get his wife sick and she is going through chemo.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:06 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
They're more independent minded.
Be sure tontell the virus that. “You cant affect me, Im independent minded”.
More like closed minded..

Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 PM

17,809 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

I ask as I try to convince my own parents, with underlying issues(asthma, copd, high cholestorol/bp, etc) from going out. They're on the other side of the country in a Florida retirement community. They're not taking it very seriously, just upset that activities are being cancelled but still going out and about. They're still going off the dismissive tone they got from Fox News.

For those of us concerned about our parents, what would it take to convince them?
This won't hit home until people start dying around where they live.

I think also consumers of right wing media are still trying to adjust to the new narrative after six weeks of misinformation.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:17 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

Stop them from watching Fox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies