Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:34 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Some people refuse to live their lives like cowards.

We are all going to die. It is just a matter of when.

What person who is not a coward wants to live their life, wringing their hands, panicked and in a state of hiding, waiting for some so-called "expert" to tell them it is ok to start living their life again.

I am not over 65 and I do know that this virus provides a serious threat to some people. I am confident that your parents know this too. But we might die at any time, from a heart attack, or a car wreck, or a terrorist attack, or any of a million different causes.

Just because we might die is not a reason to capitulate to the hysterical mass media led mob and allow them to dictate the conditions for whatever time you have left.
Even Trump said that media reporting on this has been fair.

But for instance, you, what would it take to convince you of having a duty to your fellow man not to spread it even if you don't care about your own health?

My father is a life-long vet. I'm thinking the sense of duty approach would be most effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 03:35 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
When do you declare it's okay to resume normal lives? People contract different diseases like flu from others all the time, with varying degrees of consequence.
Well for most diseases we have vaccines, we are familiar with them.

The point is we don’t know this virus all too well and we are just beginning here in the states.
So the idea is to shorten the curve, that is, slow the spread and keep the number of people admitted to the hospital low so that healthcare workers don’t get overwhelmed which would lead to the same situation in Italy.

When cases start dropping to a certain threshold is when things can slowly get back to normal.

It sucks, I know. I was looking foreword for St.Patrick’s day, and my cousin is worried he might get laid off.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:37 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
Why do leftists live in fear?

Old 03-19-2020, 03:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

But for instance, you, what would it take to convince you of having a duty to your fellow man not to spread it even if you don't care about your own health?

My father is a life-long vet. I'm thinking the sense of duty approach would be most effective.
Right. My friend's husband said 'I am not afraid to go out to eat'. That isn't the point. The point is communal measures to slow the spread. THERE AREN'T ENOUGH VENTILATORS!

Old 03-19-2020, 03:40 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Why do leftists live in fear?
Why are conservatives self centered?

Old 03-19-2020, 03:41 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
So much arrogant ignorance continues to fly around here, and of course we know who the offenders are and they aren't kids on spring break.

Someone mentioned Fox. Well I just saw this and found it interesting. The Fox News folks who were going off on the reaction have totally changed their tune and now recognize the threat. I suggest some of you do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKb...9yzH63R0tnWtbw

Old 03-19-2020, 03:43 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So much arrogant ignorance continues to fly around here, and of course we know who the offenders are and they aren't kids on spring break.

Someone mentioned Fox. Well I just saw this and found it interesting. Even those most critical of the reaction at Fox have totally changed their tune and recognize the threat. I suggest some of you do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKb...9yzH63R0tnWtbw
Yeah, that's a good clip to share with them.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
What would it take to convince you not to go out unless absolutely necessary?

I ask as I try to convince my own parents, with underlying issues(asthma, copd, high cholestorol/bp, etc) from going out. They're on the other side of the country in a Florida retirement community. They're not taking it very seriously, just upset that activities are being cancelled but still going out and about. They're still going off the dismissive tone they got from Fox News.

For those of us concerned about our parents, what would it take to convince them?
They've got a new doc on Fox - if they keep listening the new one might talk some sense into them....seriously.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:49 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,051,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I like to imagine that most people can be convinced with facts, except, unfortunately, from my own experience, and even in this forum, it's apparent that it doesn't work.
As presidential historian Jon Meacham recently said
"Facts never changed anyone's mind".

And we do see evidence of that here on this forum.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:50 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:

President Trump says lots of things and I am not looking for Trump to tell me what to think about any of this. And I am looking for the media to tell me what to think about this, or anything for that matter, even less.

This virus cannot be stopped prematurely. It will infect all the people it can until there are not enough uninfected people left for it continue to spread. If we hide and hope it goes away, that will just drag this whole process out longer. Herd immunity must be achieved, hopefully in something approaching an orderly manner.

The doctors are being responsible when they warn that we do not have the resources to treat too many people at one time and that we could have a humanitarian crisis on our hands if hospitalized cases substantially exceed our resources to treat them. Certainly that justifies their recommendations. That is a good reason for the people that are at risk to self quarantine, but for our entire society to shut down is mass folly.

However, shutting down our entire society is not going to work. Most people do not have the financial resources to sustain themselves effectively in hiding over what could easily be 12-18 months. Also, it is not human nature to live like this. People will not do it. Watch and see.

We are not designed to live according to the dictates of overseers like this. That is at the core of your lack of understanding here. Die, we will. But to be controlled in this manner, in these sorts of circumstances, just sitting in your house or apartment or whatever, cringing in fear, waiting for the overseers to give permission to start living again....

This is just not going to work like this, even if your overseers have imagined otherwise. They are wrong if they believe that it will, and with all due respect, so are you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies