Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 05:27 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
This is just like when Trump said he could shoot someone on main street and not lose a single supporter. He knows his marks very well, doesn't he ?
Indeed.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:34 PM

989 posts, read 456,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Ridiculous. The question was simply, "what do you say to Americans who are scared." This was Trump's time to shine, to project that calm demeanor you talk about. Trump did exactly the opposite -- he became rattled, and unglued. Later on in the press conference, Pence was asked exactly the same question and Pence nailed it. In a calm voice he explained that were on it and was optimistic for the future. So if it was such a set-up and nasty question, then why was Pence able to supply a decent answer? The answer is because Trump is unglued, and unfit. He's in the way, and needs to go.

Trump has lied from the beginning about the virus, or just been plain stupid. On every news conference in Jan and Feb he claimed the virus was not problem and under control. Then he just recently reversed direction and admitted it was a pandemic, but claimed he knew it all along. He's mentally ill, this man, and so are his followers.
Watching news tonight, some are saying that rather than the reporter trying to "get" him, he threw him a softball question that gave Trump the spotlight to say something truly comforting to the American people. I guess maybe the "gotcha" was that the reporter knew that Trump could not possibly deliver.

As much as I disliked Bush at the end of his tenure, he gave some fairly wonderful, unifying answers and speeches after 9/11. You will never, ever see it out of this paper tiger.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:36 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,512 times
It’s really really really pathetic that people can’t see the poor leadership. In crisis we deserve a guy who is more concerned with Americans than with one upping the press over legit questions. The answer to how to comfort scared Americans should have been met with comfort and not snark. Everyone loving this has shown a true lack of character. Poor America.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,290 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So in a span of 30 seconds this reporter accuses Trump of giving people a false sense of hope and then goes on to request he say something to people who are scared. Does anyone see anything wrong with that picture?

That is an agenda if I've ever seen one.
Yep, I caught that too. The reporter created a catch-22.

4,049 posts, read 2,742,624 times
Quote:
Ridiculous. The question was simply, "what do you say to Americans who are scared." This was Trump's time to shine, to project that calm demeanor you talk about. Trump did exactly the opposite -- he became rattled, and unglued. Later on in the press conference, Pence was asked exactly the same question and Pence nailed it. In a calm voice he explained that were on it and was optimistic for the future. So if it was such a set-up and nasty question, then why was Pence able to supply a decent answer? The answer is because Trump is unglued, and unfit. He's in the way, and needs to go.

Trump has lied from the beginning about the virus, or just been plain stupid. On every news conference in Jan and Feb he claimed the virus was not problem and under control. Then he just recently reversed direction and admitted it was a pandemic, but claimed he knew it all along. He's mentally ill, this man, and so are his followers.
You are right. It could have been an awesome moment from Trump & he blew it again.

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:

Old 03-20-2020, 05:43 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So in a span of 30 seconds this reporter accuses Trump of giving people a false sense of hope and then goes on to request he say something to people who are scared. Does anyone see anything wrong with that picture?

That is an agenda if I've ever seen one.
Without answering the question, Trump is indeed peddling a false sense of hope by offering unsubstantiated facts and false information. You don't lie to people about such a serious issue just to get yourself off the hook and that is exactly what Trump does.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
What the reporter was doing was trying to break that calm and make people fearful. To be quite honest many are fearful of what is to come, some just don't give a damn or they would stay home. Knowing we have people within out government who are reassuring they are on top of this, doing what they can, project a calm demeanor, can help more than it discourages.

In the back of my head I hear my husband staying calm, saying we are going to be fine, and everything is under control. That in itself is comforting and helping me take care of the kids through all this.
I disagree. There are a lot of worried and scared people out there. Not everyone is optimistic and a lot of disinformation is out there both good and bad.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:46 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I totally agree with you. US politics is nothing but theater.
Saddly that is exactly how the rest of the world sees it as well.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:02 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Worth noting: There was a reporter in the back of the room representing Newsmax whose question to the president was answered forthright and cordially. His name? Sean Spicer.

Go figure

Last edited by take57; 03-20-2020 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies