Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 09:08 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
They only seem to want to report bad news and hysteria.

And even a large amount of citizens on social media seem to be ROOTING for this to be bad. It's so weird.
The media makes money on every crisis, no surprise they keep pushing worst-case scenarios to keep everyone in a panic. The Democratic party sees themselves gaining power by doing the same. IF we "peak out" in the next week or two-both are going to be looking foolish.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:09 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,111 times
To those Americans who are not in US currently , will you return home or stay overseas ?

Will you listen to Trump and go back home ?

Old 03-23-2020, 09:11 PM

34,067 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
They only seem to want to report bad news and hysteria.

And even a large amount of citizens on social media seem to be ROOTING for this to be bad. It's so weird.
It's not weird. It is envy.

Those who have been unproductive despite a great economy for several years want the rest of us to become unproductive just like them.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:14 PM

21,767 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The media makes money on every crisis, no surprise they keep pushing worst-case scenarios to keep everyone in a panic. The Democratic party sees themselves gaining power by doing the same. IF we "peak out" in the next week or two-both are going to be looking foolish.
I'm probably slightly left-of-center these days and not a Trump fan by any stretch of the imagination. And I predict in a few weeks the GLOATING will be epic from him. I will put up with it for a recovery.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:15 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Is there a reason why the media thinks we give a rat's behind about the Olympics possibly being postponed?

It's not even in the U.S.
Just another indicator of how much of our economy is based on entertainment. How much of what we (as a country) spend is on things we really need? Seems like not much if closing down restaurants, theaters, sports arenas, etc can tank the economy.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Pastor Tony Spell of Baton Rouge, La. had service for 1,800 people in defiance of the 'stay at home' order issued by the Louisiana governor. He said if anyone contracted Covid-19 he would 'lay hands on them and cure them'.

It's also been reported that cases of Covid-19 are growing at a faster rate in Louisiana than anywhere in the world, presently.
While in the checkout aisle I noticed the National Enquiter headline touting a cure. Maybe it referred to these “ healings”.

A few days ago, someone posted a link to a montage of videos from Evangelical churchservices in defiance of state and federal rules and were proud of it. No shortage of older members in the audience. One pastor or what’re, broke into a fit of deep coughing, during his sermon. Too bad the camera did not pick up the reaction in the church.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:23 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Cases in China doubled today including new cases not related to travel.. This thing is not going away until enough get sick to develop community immunity or we find a vaccine. The British had the right idea at first. Let it go, infect and immunize the young, protect the old till that happens.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:25 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
70% of Americans can't work from home.
That is true but not my question. My hunch is Trump will try to push for a return to normalcy next week. Allowing hot spot states to do what they want. This will define his presidency and reelection depending on how it turns out.

Personally I think he should have picked a lane from the beginning. Either a lockdown from the beginning or just keep everyone working. Another as some have said is keep only high risk people home. Yes the numbers are bad but 610 deaths so far.

There is evidence from China and now from Italy that once the cases start adding up, say when there are 1000 cases it seems to level off and decline after 3 weeks. We hit 1,000 cases on March 11th. Of course there are other factors like the quantity of tests being done and overall population. But if things do level off later this week I would be for opening things back up. I know several high risk persons and they want to shelter in place, which is fine. If they keep going up exponentially its a tougher call to make.

If we still have time to avoid crashing the economy into a deep depression and death spiral I am for avoiding that. 30% unemployment, 30% drop in GDP. Very scary and I am not sure we could pull ourselves out of it. Especially if everyone is huddling at home.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:27 PM

34,067 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

If we still have time to avoid crashing the economy into a deep depression and death spiral I am for avoiding that. 30% unemployment, 30% drop in GDP. Very scary and I am not sure we could pull ourselves out of it. Especially if everyone is huddling at home.

Agree. 30% unemployment means forget the 2020s and the 2030s, at least.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:30 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
To those Americans who are not in US currently , will you return home or stay overseas ?

Will you listen to Trump and go back home ?
I am on Langkawi. Only three cases way back in January and they have since left the island. We are still concerned here about how many residents attended the ill-timed religious event in KL. Free testing for all who attended, but I don't know if they all stepped forward. There have also been some tourists here that were first in Thailand. So a small chance they will have it. Besides, we are in complete lock down and I am unlikely to bump into them. Food shops fully stocked.

So should I....

Get on a plane?

Go to somewhere full of the virus and little effort to stop it?

A place where there are no masks and runs on supermarkets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies