Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 12:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I do not even like him and his politics, but I think he is doing great, showing some real leadership.

He should be the Democratic nominee, lol.

Pretty much says everything about this "libertarian".
Cuomo will be someone to watch maybe as VP. I say Bernie is the best for party unity but realistically Cuomo is a good pick. If not, he'll be someone to watch for future Democrat tickets.

As for Paul, you know if it's bad when both senators from Arizona attack him for being an idiot and using common areas after his test. The other stupid optometrist of Congress (Rep. Gosar) at least self quarantined when he considered himself at risk. Paul went about ignorant until the results came back in.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:16 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Both China and Italy took drastic measures to get there. We're not doing that here, and I doubt we will.

That is the truth. We Americans love our "freedoms" so much that any attempt to keep us from infecting others is considered an attack on those freedoms. These are unusual times, and companies and the government are putting dollars ahead of people's lives, and that is unconscionable .

Old 03-24-2020, 03:50 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That is the truth. We Americans love our "freedoms" so much that any attempt to keep us from infecting others is considered an attack on those freedoms. These are unusual times, and companies and the government are putting dollars ahead of people's lives, and that is unconscionable .
Keep in mind that there will be thousands,if not millions, that will survive this but without so much as a penny in their pocket.
There has to be a balance found.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Default Trump, in Tweet, Says He’s Considering Plan that Would Kill a Lot of People.

The president, concerned about the economy, is considering abandoning the measures public health experts warn are needed to deal with the coronavirus.

Epidemiologists are asking the public to “flatten the curve” of coronavirus infections by observing “social distancing.” It’s unclear how long we’ll have to do that — particularly absent a vaccine — and that’s both a bummer and a drag on the economy, as people miss out on human connections and businesses get shuttered en masse. But it seems like a bit less of a bummer when you put into plain language what “flattening the curve” by “social distancing” means in plain English: STAY THE **** HOME SO PEOPLE DON’T HAVE TO DIE IN THE STREET BECAUSE HOSPITALS GET TOO FLOODED WITH SICK PEOPLE TO HELP THEM.
In that light, dealing with even a lot of economic and personal pain seems worth it, especially with an estimated 2.2 million American lives at stake.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...isease-971808/

Everyone knows that Trump loves to rant about the economy and how well it’s doing. And personally I can see Trump putting aside looking for a cure and wanting to get the economy moving again.
Personally I don’t think he wants anyone dead but given the two I do believe that the economy is more important then we are.

This article backs the one above up.

We can't have the cure be worse than the problem," Trump told reporters at a press briefing, echoing a midnight Sunday tweet. "We have to open our country because that causes problems that, in my opinion, could be far bigger problems."

Trump acknowledged there were trade-offs, "there's no question about that," but claimed that, if closures stretch on for months, there would be "probably more death from that than anything that we're talking about with respect to the virus."

https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/t...eks-not-months

Last edited by reed067; 03-24-2020 at 04:55 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 05:12 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Central Park was full of people last weekend. Cuomo and New Yorkers never took this seriously until it was too late. Now he's trying to cover his ass.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,091,368 times
Welp...sounds like Fauci contradicting Trump over the last few days has finally taken its toll on Trump and his inner-circle.

I wonder if we'll ever see Fauci up there behind Trump at the podium during Task Force briefings.

https://twitter.com/DavidLauter/stat...89296725045251

Old 03-24-2020, 07:07 AM

132 posts, read 76,118 times
Yesterday it says 50 people in US died in the last 24 hours. Today it said 14. Isn’t that a good sign it’s slowing down?

Old 03-24-2020, 07:13 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,557,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Keep in mind that there will be thousands,if not millions, that will survive this but without so much as a penny in their pocket.
There has to be a balance found.
I think the middle ground is to focus on protecting the elderly with masks, social distancing, home delivery, and so forth, while letting it run rampant among the young and make them stay home if they're sick. Nobody under 50 with COVID-19 is allowed hospitalization. That way the economy can stay safe and the rich can enjoy their billions. Plus we'll have built up herd immunity. It's cruel, but it could minimize total deaths.

I'm guessing you're thinking: no thanks.

Last edited by rjshae; 03-24-2020 at 07:23 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 07:15 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,728,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma21 View Post
Yesterday it says 50 people in US died in the last 24 hours. Today it said 14. Isn’t that a good sign it’s slowing down?
What is "it"? I'm seeing ~120 deaths in the past 24 hours, from the source linked below as well as others.

https://infection2020.com/

Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Are you kidding? The population density is not exactly that of butt **** USA. And if Sweet Potato Twitler did not lie, withhold information and refuse WHO test kits, we'd be way ahead of the curve.
so your response to fact is insult and lies?

What do we "know" about the virus:

more contagious than the flu
long period it may take to show symptoms
relies on close "prolonged" contact
much worse for old and with other health factors.

Wuhan is a city about the same population as NYC, though it sprawls over a 10x area.

DeBlasio and Cuomo could have easily known 2 weeks prior that the right course of action was an immediate "quarantine in place" for NYC. 2 weeks ago, Italy was THE hotspot, and had already gone under strict quarantine.

You know, out here in "butt **** USA" we do rely on getting in our cars to get groceries, go out to eat, etc. In NYC - is it more common to have goods delivered than to get in a car to shop?

Instead, we'll get NY'ers like you who blame Trump for the decisions and failures of the state leadership. Personally, I think it's clear that both DeBlasio and Cuomo were hoping Trump would do their dirty work for them, so they didn't have to play the bad guys.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 03-24-2020 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies