Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 09:56 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,596,506 times

Advertisements

He is doing a really good job of sharing information and leading, but NY is going to have a rough next four weeks. This isn’t really on Cuomo but while he isn’t an empty vessel like Trump he isn’t a panacea either.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:59 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
Bringing it down to Florida.

Approximately 20,000 to 40,000 New Yorkers are currently arriving in Florida daily as they flee from the epicenter of the most explosive coronavirus outbreak. However, if the elderly are the most vulnerable; and if isolating the most vulnerable population is the best course of action; and with the largest population of older residents living in Florida; then why are New Yorkers allowed to travel to Florida?

According to data released by Governor DeSantis: Monday saw 190 direct flights from the New York City area into various Florida airports. If 150-200 people average per flight, that’s 28,500 to 38,000 New York metropolitan area residents arriving in Florida today.

In an attempt to mitigate the inbound infection spread, today Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an executive order requiring all arriving New York and New Jersey residents to be screened upon arrival and self-quarantine immediately after arriving in the state.

Not sure how policing compliance is possible.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:05 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,179,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
A few months ago I was not all that impressed with the guy, but with this pandemic, he is showing true leadership. I feel reassured when I see him on TV. He is in charge and is doing a great job as a leader. Hats off to him.
Cuomo is doing an excellent job. As a Californian, I feel the same way about Gavin Newsom. He is not only on top of the situation today, he thinks ahead and anticipates what will be needed in the future.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:11 PM

15,877 posts, read 6,580,182 times
Smokers are at higher risk of a severe COVID-19 response. You might want to cut down.

Ref.: https://www.forbes.com/sites/victori...irus-outbreak/

Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,992,629 times
Do a great job for yourself. Be prepared, have supplies, listen to the news, be safe. None of these idiots should be given your full trust. You are the only person that has your own best interest in mind. They should be viewed as a last resort, even that is a stretch.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:14 PM

30,202 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
It is a cruel, but valid strategy, if and only if people decided to completely ignore the fact they might get the virus and it could kill them.

The problem with the approach is people don't want to catch the virus and don't want to go to work among people who are infected.

People were going to work every day despite the fact a certain percentage of them were killed on the road on the way to and from work. So there is a certain risk level that people will take to continue working.

The problem a lot of us have is the approach taken by the Trump administration has resulted in the virus exposing the maximum number of people over a long period of time.
Exactly. There are dangers just living. I agree that this whole thing was not handled well by Trump. But we can't go back in time and change that. You can only look at what is the best course of action. And it seems each day the predictions for how the economy is going to do the next few months get worse and worse. And that worries me more than the virus itself. Do we want to go back to the dust bowl days?

In my state for example two people have died. And there are probably a dozen or so hospitalized because of it. But there are hundreds of thousands of people laid off or have cut hours because of it. And businesses are getting slammed. They still have to pay rent and their bills. I know all sorts of people suffering financially because of it. So you start to think is this a fair response to what has happened so far? Is it possible it won't really get nearly as bad as some predict?

Old 03-23-2020, 10:19 PM

30,202 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
“Everything” has not shutdown anywhere in the US.

Where I live very close to it. Outside of grocery stores, pharmacies and take out food not much is open. And the places open are very slow outside of those places. There are much more things you can't do than can. You drive down the street here and the traffic is the same as Christmas day. Few cars on the road.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 833,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Do a great job for yourself. Be prepared, have supplies, listen to the news, be safe. None of these idiots should be given your full trust. You are the only person that has your own best interest in mind. They should be viewed as a last resort, even that is a stretch.

People need to cooperate to fight the virus, trying to pull yourself up by your bootstraps is only going to take you so far.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 PM

17,711 posts, read 6,962,877 times
If Cuomo and the rest of the Democrats who run NY were doing such a great job, NY wouldn't have one of the highest infection rates in the country. It may be the highest infection rate in the country, we will see.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,874,491 times
Every time I see Cuomo on TV I gain a lot more respect for him. THAT is what a leader should look and act like. Confident without being obnoxious, intelligent, articulate, and focused.

Good man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies