Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 06:28 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think it is time we designed a mask based on a type of fabric that can be washed at 60°C and then reused.
When tens or hundreds of millions of humans need masks, the one-way approach is kind of unsustainable.
A washable cloth mask with a damp paper towel insert was suggested from Taiwan. Anyone can sew one, or better yet sew 50 of them since people can't sew today.

Better yet sew 500 of them and make some cash.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I have seen Ultraviolet light being used to sanitize hospital operating rooms instead of bleach and alcohol. I wonder if they could just make little "tanning beds" to put equipment like masks in to kill viruses? I know it works for bacteria, not sure for viruses.
Yes it does.

Coronavirus: Robots use light beams to zap hospital viruses

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51914722

Old 03-25-2020, 06:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Hospitals consider universal do-not-resuscitate orders for coronavirus patients

Hospitals on the front lines of the pandemic are engaged in a heated private debate over a calculation few have encountered in their lifetimes — how to weigh the “save at all costs” approach to resuscitating a dying patient against the real danger of exposing doctors and nurses to the contagion of coronavirus.

Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago has been discussing a universal do-not-resuscitate policy for infected patients, regardless of the wishes of the patient or their family members — a wrenching decision to prioritize the lives of the many over the one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ot-resucitate/
Every hospital system is talking about patient prioritization, given the scarcity of PPE and ventilators and a decline number of front line healthcare professionals as they become infected.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But Trumpsters support a guy who treated this disease like a joke for two months. Constantly downplaying it and pretty much all Trumpsters were on board with that. Now they complain that more should have been done earlier. But Trump is innocent and instead they want to distract people with China. The hypocrisy is ridiculous.
Okay, armchair quarterback, what would you have done differently? Keep in mind that China was not forthcoming with vital information. Instead, they tried to hide it. Also, keep in mind that this is a "novel" virus meaning that it had never been seen before. Plus, no country was ahead of the curve in the beginning.

Why shouldn't people hear about China? After all, once again, the Chinese weren't honest about this until all hell broke loose and they couldn't hide it anymore. China needs to be ostracized by the entire world.

I like how you paint all Trump voters with the same brush. I, for one, did not take "this disease as a joke for two months"---and I'm not the only one.

When you first heard of COVID-19, did you immediately lock yourself inside your home? Or did you wait until more info was made available?

Old 03-25-2020, 06:35 PM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
79 coronavirus deaths in the last hour here in USA.

79 deaths were reported in one hour. That does not mean the deaths happened this last hour.

I see 155 for the day which at this point is 100 less than yesterday. Total cases are about 1000 less than the total yesterday but the counting is not done.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Old 03-25-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
In all seriouseness..can you be infected with multiple viruses at once? You would think that would happen all the time since people are weakened..but you don't seem to hear about it often.
Certainly you can suffer from more than one virus at the same time. Each virus tends to attack the body slightly differently.

Sure you heard of it. It is called opportunistic infection. People with the HIV virus suffer from other infections that most people have no problem fighting off because their bodies were already weakened by HIV.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
I do think this pandemic is going to fundamentally change the way people think. We will be much better prepared for the next one. Not prepared enough, but better than this one.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:39 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
Looks like Fla. going to be hit hard.

42 Policeman tested positive in Tampa area.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:40 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Okay, armchair quarterback, what would you have done differently? Keep in mind that China was not forthcoming with vital information. Instead, they tried to hide it. Also, keep in mind that this is a "novel" virus meaning that it had never been seen before. Plus, no country was ahead of the curve in the beginning.

Why shouldn't people hear about China? After all, once again, the Chinese weren't honest about this until all hell broke loose and they couldn't hide it anymore. China needs to be ostracized by the entire world.

I like how you paint all Trump voters with the same brush. I, for one, did not take "this disease as a joke for two months"---and I'm not the only one.

When you first heard of COVID-19, did you immediately lock yourself inside your home? Or did you wait until more info was made available?
Warnings from all serious international organizations were there by mid-January. To deaf ears. No, its not true that we did not have any information at that point. Two whole months went by. Italy probably has had corona virus since mid-December. You simply are trying to get Trump off the hook and point to China. China indeed acted slowly, but really went on lockdown after one and a half months. And so far it seems to have been working. Trump has been dragging his feet for two whole months and now wants to open up everything by Easter. Come on.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Now we learn that after bungling the testing program, the Trump admin's refusal to act in the national interest is leading to absolute chaos in the medical supplies field. Everything from gloves to ventilators is being sold by hoarders who have states and hospitals within states fighting and bidding against each other. New manufacturing is lagging because there is no central processing of orders, no demand monitoring on a national scale, and no transport and distribution. The richest country in the world can't even get its act together to save the lives of its citizens. This is appalling.
I thought you were in favor of herd immunity. What made you convert to wanting to stop the virus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies