Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 07:36 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,601,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
CNN reports that his approval ratings are at an all-time high. And that Americans as a whole approve of the job he is doing with coronavirus. Look it up.
Sure. Because right now, most people are not affected by the virus directly and those that are can be found in mostly blue areas. Let’s see where we are in 2 months.

Plus, his “crisis rally around the flag” bump isn’t actually impressive at all.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:37 AM

30,273 posts, read 11,895,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This assumes that all the work China and SK have done wasn't the reason. That seems foolish and already disproven due to the USA having 5X per capita as many cases as China.

It's not going to magically go away in the next couple of weeks. It just won't. It doesn't have a counter on it and that it stops once it hits a million?

We stop it by our actions....or spread it by them. Then we develop "cures", which are being worked on as we speak. Even antibodies of recovered patients are being tried.

But people are dying right now due to lack of US Action.
I agree China and SK have different reasons for slowing down the virus. Its apples and oranges to compare them to us.

Look at Italy. They peaked a week ago. A big part of the surge here and probably there was increased testing. You hit a point where everyone who needs a test gets one and then what appears to be exponential increases suddenly flattens out.

My guess is many other European countries will peak in the next week or so. Then we will the week after. We could be flattening now. But the exponential increase in testing masks that. There is no way to know at this moment. Cases are growing 10-20% a day here. Is testing increasing 10-20% day? I would guess at least that much. So that would be why cases are rising that much each day.

To say that 60% or 80% will get the virus when the evidence so far is a tenth of 1% being the highest total so far is simply fear mongering and inaccurate. The other possibility is its has really spread all over but the cases where people are unaware they have it is much much higher. And the rate of serious complications is a fraction of a percent. Not 10% or 20%.

My suspicion is our numbers and computer models are way off. The only way to confirm this is to test all people to see if they had it. Then we will know for sure. There is no magic here. Just data to study which is coming in.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:38 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The virus and economy tanking aren't his fault.

What he says and the way he manages it is.
I think a new phrase will enter our lexicon: implicatory denial:

HOW TO TALK TO CORONAVIRUS SKEPTICS

In cases of serious scientific occurrences, such as the coronavirus pandemic, people may suffer what the science historian Naomi Oreskes calls implicatory denial.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and...virus-skeptics

Old 03-27-2020, 07:39 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,101,460 times
Welp, it continues. Politicians are politicizing coronavirus, with some Americans on the far-right seeing the shelter-in-place orders as "weak."

Wonder how long it will take before conservative talking heads like Hannity and Ingraham start saying that dems & blue states are trying to make us stay home to hurt the economy.

I'll take my number and stand in line to laugh at these people if/when they get sick.

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1243387137816322050

Old 03-27-2020, 07:40 AM

25,644 posts, read 17,385,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
If someone follows your advice, they might want to be sure their suit is cleaned and pressed.
They will be going to funerals that they caused.
Quote:
Same with everyone who drove a car today and risked the lives of others. They need to have their suits cleaned and pressed.
That's probably the dumbest reply I have ever heard.
We're talking about becoming a carrier of Corona, and you want to equate that to driving a car.........

Old 03-27-2020, 07:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,712,004 times
Remember the threads about how great Russia and Hungary are/were?

Oh, well....Hungary is locked down and Police enforced. Russia is now about two weeks behind us.

In a month let's ask Putin if it a hoax.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,355,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Welp, it continues. Politicians are politicizing coronavirus, with some Americans on the far-right seeing the shelter-in-place orders as "weak."

Wonder how long it will take before conservative talking heads like Hannity and Ingraham start saying that dems & blue states are trying to make us stay home to hurt the economy.

I'll take my number and stand in line to laugh at these people if/when they get sick.

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1243387137816322050

I saw where the governor overrode the orders of the Tupelo Mayor to close restaurants and other businesses, he is crazy.

There are significant spreads of the virus in Louisiana, just a matter of time.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,964,724 times
Quote:
CNN reports that his approval ratings are at an all-time high. And that Americans as a whole approve of the job he is doing with coronavirus. Look it up.
If he continues his Easter reopen plan, it will blow up in his face. Republicans like Trump Gov. DeSantis and Gov. Ducey, they all are downplaying the virus and thinking it won't get bad. Ducey has a bill on his desk to close the schools and won't sign it. DeSantis let spring break happen during a public health crisis and only closed the bars three days in. Trump he is letting New York City and other Metropolitan areas become third world countries due to the way hospitals are becoming. New York yesterday had to use a refrigerated trailer for dead bodies.

The fact is Trump did fall asleep at the wheel and downplayed the virus. He was briefed three months ago and only called it a bad flu and the new hoax (to take him down.) At this point it WILL take him down because he is showing the American public that he don't give two chits about them. He only cares about perception of handling a crisis. He has treated America like one of his failed businesses and it is time the board of directors (the American people) vote that SOB out.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 AM

30,273 posts, read 11,895,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I think a new phrase will enter our lexicon: implicatory denial:

HOW TO TALK TO CORONAVIRUS SKEPTICS

There are no conronvirus skeptics. Everyone believes its a real thing. This is not climate change. But opinions by experts are all over the map as to how bad it will get. And there is the economic component. Which some seem to think should not be considered. How many will die if we plunge into a great depression for a decade or more?

I think the correct word here is balance, not panic.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,712,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If he continues his Easter reopen plan, it will blow up in his face. Republicans like Trump Gov. DeSantis and Gov. Ducey, they all are downplaying the virus and thinking it won't get bad. Ducey has a bill on his desk to close the schools and won't sign it. DeSantis let spring break happen during a public health crisis and only closed the bars three days in. Trump he is letting New York City and other Metropolitan areas become third world countries due to the way hospitals are becoming. New York yesterday had to use a refrigerated trailer for dead bodies.

The fact is Trump did fall asleep at the wheel and downplayed the virus. He was briefed three months ago and only called it a bad flu and the new hoax (to take him down.) At this point it WILL take him down because he is showing the American public that he don't give two chits about them. He only cares about perception of handling a crisis. He has treated America like one of his failed businesses and it is time the board of directors (the American people) vote that SOB out.
"All time high" is 45.3% average - keep in mind that Daddy Bush had close to 80% during the Iraq War and was thrown out of office not too long after "winning" with almost zero American deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies