Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 11:05 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, that happens quite a bit with these kinds of articles. However, I was not aware that "ScienceNews" is a right wing dirt rag, and I was not aware that people with people with PhD's in molecular biology (the author of the Diamond Princess article, which predicted a 0.5 fatality rate) was any kind of RWNJ.

It seems if anyone questions the statements that 80% are going to get the virus and millions will die they are labeled right wing.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I have a friend who's in his 80's. He and his wife (in her 80's also) went on one of those Disney Cruises and brought all of their kids and grandkids along. So even those Disney Cruises have older people on them.

But like I stated before, I know hundreds of people who are 65+ and they all spend much of their time taking cruises. Disney Cruises/geared towards those 65 and younger makes up how much percentage-wise of the overall total in the cruise ship industry? 5%? 10%? 20%? I bet it's less then 10%.
32% is the over 60 set of Cruise line passengers.

14% over 70

47 years old average age of ALL.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No doubt. Trump is steering the country by tweet and lies.

Yesterday he said we don't need a lot of ventilators...he doesn't believe it! He said HE HAS SEEN many hospitals that have only one or two (as if that is the norm...which I doubt)....

Today he is yelling at GM to open Lordstown plant and make ventilator...by tweet, of course, The reason he does this is to satisfy his base and BS others. Obviously not company is going to open a massive plant and build ventilators based on an ALL CAPS tweet.

Just like his statement of "Health Care being hard" (that's why he didn't do it and made it worse), doing ANYTHING is hard, but since he never had to do anything he thinks it's just about yapping at people.

In my business we had a saying "everything is easy for those who don't have to do it"....which I think is what we r seeing here. He can't do the job.

He needs to be removed. Seriously.
He should have been removed long before now and let's remember when they had the chance they blew it. Anyone close to Susan Collins on a respirator yet? Just sayin'. We have a sociopath at the levers of power during a catastrophic event where lives are at stake. As I said in a previous post...Is America looking GREAT yet?

Old 03-27-2020, 11:10 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

Are there ulterior motives for this over-the top reactions to coronavirus?
If so, what are they?
Not ulterior. Sound, practical medical reasons.

And the basic reason is do all things necessary to ensure that local acute HC resources are not overloaded.

We might all get infected over time. Most of us will not crump.

What we don't want to encounter is a series of Italy like experiences here and there all over the USA.

Eventually we will have better treatments, vaccines, and herd immunity. Possibly by next year covid19 will join influenza as a yearly shot.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:12 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It seems if anyone questions the statements that 80% are going to get the virus and millions will die they are labeled right wing.
I don't see this as true - given the evidence from China and elsewhere.

The message that people like Merkel put out (40-70%) probably related to what would likely happen without serious crackdowns.

Then again, there is time frame. What percentage will get it.....within 3 years?

The "two sides" which exist are only whether one takes it seriously...or whether they do not.

In general (polling), Republicans or Right Wingers did not take it as seriously. Those number may change but they were indicative of the lack of belief in science.

"Nearly 80 percent of Democrats believe the worst is yet to come, but just 40 percent of Republicans" - from two weeks back.

I think it is factually clear who was right in this poll. Twice as many Democrats - and, in fact a super majority of them, understood the situation as it really was. Most Republicans did not.

Facts are always stubborn things - but they exist, still.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
No doubt. Trump is steering the country by tweet and lies.

Yesterday he said we don't need a lot of ventilators...he doesn't believe it! He said HE HAS SEEN many hospitals that have only one or two (as if that is the norm...which I doubt)....

Today he is yelling at GM to open Lordstown plant and make ventilator...by tweet, of course, The reason he does this is to satisfy his base and BS others. Obviously not company is going to open a massive plant and build ventilators based on an ALL CAPS tweet.

Just like his statement of "Health Care being hard" (that's why he didn't do it and made it worse), doing ANYTHING is hard, but since he never had to do anything he thinks it's just about yapping at people.

In my business we had a saying "everything is easy for those who don't have to do it"....which I think is what we r seeing here. He can't do the job.

He needs to be removed. Seriously.
We need a way to move large numbers of ventilators from area to area, depending on current and also near future suspected needs.

That's not rocket science!

Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Fauci with a sizable lead over Trump.

Science > politics.
this how bad it's gotten ...

Quote:
Moreover, Fauci gets rare bipartisan approval, with 74 percent of Democrats and 85 percent of Republicans rating his performance positively.
some likely significant portion of 26% of "Democrats" would vote against ANYTHING they thought was "Republican"

Some RWNJ's have suggested Fauci should be gone, and some LWNJ's have suggested a majority of R's want him gone .... but there's that # at 85%

Old 03-27-2020, 11:18 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:

I think it is factually clear who was right in this poll. Twice as many Democrats - and, in fact a super majority of them, understood the situation as it really was. Most Republicans did not.

Facts are always stubborn things - but they exist, still.
I think when some are busy pointing the finger at the other side, which is probably the majority of comments here, they are part of the problem and not the solution. The other side gets defensive and doubles down.

Your link to the flight link is amazing. As long as we allow people to fly all over the country whenever and wherever they want we are allowing the virus to spread everywhere. It only takes one person on that flight to cause all sorts of problems wherever they land.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:18 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Oh stop with the partisan TDS hatemongering and divisiveness. There’s plenty of blame to go around with the Dems too — De Blasio actually told NYC residents to go to movies and to get out and live their regular lives, now NYC is the nation’s Covid hot spot.
Pelosi stalled the aid bill so she could load it up with RIDICULOUS democrat pork, your liberal media has been caught everyday multiple times spewing lies and fake news etc, etc, etc.

Focus on things that bring us together rather than divide —Trump and his crew are doing a great job, so is Cuomo as dem governor of NY.
What?

Old 03-27-2020, 11:22 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We need a way to move large numbers of ventilators from area to area, depending on current and also near future suspected needs.

That's not rocket science!
Trump would be wise to name a US general with experience in mobilization of forces to head up this response, like Bush did with Gen Honore. Trump is not known for being wise, but for knowing more than the generals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies