Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times

Advertisements

these briefing have brought to light the partisanship and lower intelligence of the news media. That's a good thing. Americans need reminders the MSM will tell lie after lie to suit their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
No. At the time he was telling people that coronavirus was contained and would soon disappear, so the claim that he as referring to being blamed for its spread makes no sense.

Trump even later clarified his "hoax" comment and said he was referring to "critic[ism]" of the White House's response to the coronavirus and the "job" they were doing in combating it.

Trump was asked if he regretted using “hoax” now someone had died. His use of the word referred to “the action [Democrats] tried to take to try to pin this on somebody because we’ve done such a good job”, he said.

“The hoax is on them. I’m not talking about what’s happening here,” Trump added, also saying “I don’t like it when they are criticising [federal health officials], and that’s the hoax.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rus-hoax-claim
The point is, he shouldn’t have even needed to clarify it. It was obvious to anyone with an IQ over 80 that this is what he meant when he said it. It didn’t seem the least bit ambiguous to me at the time he made the statement. If I didn’t know the democrats better, i would have been surprised about it being presented any other way after the fact.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:20 AM

839 posts, read 735,623 times
Your link:

Trump is using these daily covid-19 conferences, not to fight the disease, but as a replacement for his rallies. He is using this airtime to promote himself and his 2020 campaign. That's why it is so important for him that these conferences do well in the ratings.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:21 AM

1,134 posts, read 405,252 times
Trump should be able to take some of those questions in stride, just give a brief direct answer and move on. His frustration overrides that at times.

When someone mentioned the possibility of just over 1 to 2 million deaths in the US, I think it was Dr. Fauci who mentioned 100k-200k was more likely. Trump said if we can keep it to 100k or less we'll be doing pretty good.

CNN took only the part they wanted: "Trump says if number of deaths are 100,000 the country is doing good."

That's what he said alright, but that's very much out of context from the conversation. It's just typical for CNN.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You're a bit off on this

“The opposing party attempting to make downplaying Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, my fault, is just another one of their hoaxes.”

He played a very large part in the general population, especially his "base" downplaying it.

You don't think a bunch of those people in Louisiana who have this now weren't his "base" and took this lightly because of him and his media buddies?
OK. Then that should have been what you said in your original post. That is something we can have an honest discussion about. But saying that he called the virus a hoax is dishonest, and is something that the left keeps saying. Why are they being dishonest? Well, that is obvious.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:22 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The point is, he shouldn’t have even needed to clarify it. It was obvious to anyone with an IQ over 80 that this is what he meant when he said it. It didn’t seem the least bit ambiguous to me at the time he made the statement. If I didn’t know the democrats better, i would have been surprised about it being presented any other way after the fact.
Again, whether he was referring to the virus itself as a hoax or the criticism of his failure to adequately respond to it as a hoax, the message was functionally the same: He was downplaying the risk of a pandemic and dismissive of concern that his Administration was not preparing adequately. Given what has since transpired and what we now know, excoriating him for his "hoax" comment is totally justified.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:23 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
This quarantine will last as long as those daily briefing increase his numbers.

He tells us something different every day, but his base loves him.

Verifying what the POTUS says is the job of the White House press.

If it is too much for him to handle, let somebody else do it.

I would say that this quarantine will last as long as the media can continue to throw Trump under the bus and blame him for it to make him look bad.

If they had their way the pandemic would be front page news right up to the election because we all know that creepy uncle Joe and his fellow Dems have an instant cure for everything that troubles us.

Most of us know that no matter what Trump says the press is going to alter and spin it to fit their agenda.

If Trump came out today and said he was resigning the media would be telling us that Trump is abandoning America in its time of need. If Trump came out today and said he is knuckling down and going to war against the virus the media would say that Trump is a war monger.

They will never give him a break or an ounce of credit and many voters, his base know this.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:25 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
Trump should be able to take some of those questions in stride, just give a brief direct answer and move on. His frustration overrides that at times.

When someone mentioned the possibility of just over 1 to 2 million deaths in the US, I think it was Dr. Fauci who mentioned 100k-200k was more likely. Trump said if we can keep it to 100k or less we'll be doing pretty good.

CNN took only the part they wanted: "Trump says if number of deaths are 100,000 the country is doing good."

That's what he said alright, but that's very much out of context from the conversation. It's just typical for CNN.
Can you link to that quote from CNN?

Old 03-30-2020, 08:26 AM

8,343 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Watching Trump beach slap trashy reporters is entertaining. Ask a stupid question, get a verbal backhand to the face. Love it!

On the other hand it’s all love and cuddling how they treat NY Gov Andrew Slomo.

“You can’t play basketball and stand 6 ft apart. You can, but you’ll lose!” — Andrew Slomo.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Your link:

Trump is using these daily covid-19 conferences, not to fight the disease, but as a replacement for his rallies. He is using this airtime to promote himself and his 2020 campaign. That's why it is so important for him that these conferences do well in the ratings.
Not my link. I quoted a post that has since been deleted.

The rest is just an election year democratic talking point that they want to repeat enough times to make people believe it.

Do I even have to remind you that Joe Biden is the one who suggested the daily briefings in the first place.

Personally, I think if he did the briefings in a more formal, stick to the facts, manner, he would be doing a lot more for his campaign than he is in the current format. But even if he did, the dems would still be saying what you have stated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies