Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 06:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
A lot of people don't know how to be with themselves for a couple hours.

Too true. I consider myself very fortunate. I like being with myself. Wish everyone liked themselves.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:41 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Cuomo has been saying this for weeks. Trump supporters too stupid to understand exponential growth and logistics have been pointing and laughing at the stockpiles he has been collecting like a bunch of hyenas.
Cuomo is as interested in placing blame as any other politician, and has done his fair share of finger pointing while down-playing his own mistakes. In any case, this post wasn't about him, though I should have anticipated the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Appears you were correct. I'm not quite sure if their hospitals put up are similar to our way of doing it or totally new construction. Regardless my point I was trying to make stands - that is that the army core of engineers is doing it correctly and trying to establish long term places on emergency timelines like this would be a disaster. The specifics aren't really specified in the original post - I'm just trying to add insight on the good/bad ways you can go about it.
I didn't want to quote too much of the article. This part at the end was what I found controversial. I should have quoted it. From the article:

Quote:
To that end, I believe all governments should consider the following policies:
Placing the military in charge of health care expansion nation-wide.
Taking control of all bed, medical device and related manufacturing capacity. I don’t mean this physically but I do mean this in terms of being able to direct activity.
Putting in place measures to conscript anyone who can be useful in this task. Conscription is an ugly word but you are not sending anyone to fight or die. You are putting people to work. Moreover, we just shut down the Universities and I know we all talk about continuing stuff online, let’s face it, students can do something else for the rest of the year and we will recover. Part of that work could be taking care of dependents while more qualified people do the work.
This is already happening but there needs to be a Manhattan Project-like activity to find a vaccine. The world is going to need it.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:52 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Appears you were correct. I'm not quite sure if their hospitals put up are similar to our way of doing it or totally new construction. Regardless my point I was trying to make stands - that is that the army core of engineers is doing it correctly and trying to establish long term places on emergency timelines like this would be a disaster. The specifics aren't really specified in the original post - I'm just trying to add insight on the good/bad ways you can go about it.
The hospitals were constructed from modular components. Have you ever seen a fast food restaurant pop up like a mushroom almost overnight?

https://www.freymoss.com/project_typ...s-restaurants/

Time lapse video of Chinese hospital construction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxhHsRSzGw

Edited to add:

It would be possible to reopen hospitals that have been closed or to repurpose existing buildings.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:55 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
8.1 billion people all staying still.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:56 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
There are so many of these selfish idiots all over the world. A term has been coined for them COVIDIOTS.

I think that when people see COVIDIOTS, they should try to take a photo (of course maintain a safe distance from the idiots) and shame them online. #COVIDIOTS.

Remember all those stupid springbreakers in FL? They interviewed one of them who said he thought the virus was no big deal and that only old people get it. He gave the reporter his name and immediately he was shamed to the point where he made an apology.

One young woman in the group was interviewed. She said people her age don't watch the news and only listen to what celebrities have to say. In fact, the Surgeon General urged celebrities to speak up and encourage social distancing.

What I don't understand is the idiot parents who bring children to large gatherings. SMH

Old 03-31-2020, 07:05 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Cuomo is as interested in placing blame as any other politician, and has done his fair share of finger pointing while down-playing his own mistakes. In any case, this post wasn't about him, though I should have anticipated the opportunity.
Like virtually every other politician in the country, Cuomo should have moved about a week or two sooner in shutting down NYC. I fault him for that.

Since then, he has been on a mission to conjure up out of thin air 120,000 new hospital beds, 30,000 ventilators, and people to staff it. When the apex hits in 2-4 weeks, he will likely be close to hitting those numbers. I credit him for that.

Compared to Mike DeWine, he was 10 days late. Compared to Ron DeSantis, he was 3 weeks ahead and counting.

But as to the point of your topic, at least in NY the government has been clear that the fully expect that the curve cannot be flattened enough to prevent a health care overrun (Cuomo called it a tsunami more than once).

Old 03-31-2020, 07:07 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Dr. Fauci: "The Response Of Trump Admin Has Been Impressive, I Can't Imagine Anybody Could Be Doing More"

Old 03-31-2020, 07:17 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Do you draw a distinction between doctors/nurses/other direct CARE providers, and all the other employees of a hospital?

Do you believe that a janitor making $12/hour might be tempted to carry off a pallet worth $1,000+?

Do you disavow all claims that he blamed doctors and nurses for "stealing" PPE's?
What does this even mean? I made it pretty clear in this post that Trump accused "hospital employees" of stealing PPE. Trump didn't make a distinction between which employees he suspected and neither did I.

Is baselessly accusing hospital janitors who risks their health to sterilize infected rooms less tone-deaf given our current situation than leveling that same claim against doctors/nurses? I don't know, you tell me.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 716,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The hospitals were constructed from modular components. Have you ever seen a fast food restaurant pop up like a mushroom almost overnight?

https://www.freymoss.com/project_typ...s-restaurants/

Time lapse video of Chinese hospital construction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuxhHsRSzGw

Edited to add:

It would be possible to reopen hospitals that have been closed or to repurpose existing buildings.

I'm familiar with modular construction from working in the chemical industry and have done one project using modular construction. There are a lot of differences but I would think most of the principles overlap.
You have to have a well designed plan - which takes a significant amount of time. Even with a well designed plan you will have issues that arise during construction that take time for a proper fix. If you have already constructed the design once most of these problems have already been solved. Point being unless you have a design already finished on the shelf ready to go it isn't practical.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That's why there has to be strict laws. Too many people won't do the right thing unless they're forced to.
Or we could use market pressures.

It's the adult way.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies