Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 03:16 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Now our adversary's know ,plant a bug on a US Navy ship and it will turn and run.
Uh, that is like the entire point of having a bio weapons program.

If everyone is sick and/or dying, cannot fight to well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Unfortunately- lives are not over mission - I don’t know all of the circumstances going up the chain - but we all know, a quick response to evac is not always the answer. He should have tried to fix the problem inhouse the best he could - made masks from uniforms anything - and wash the bucket 3 times a day until received the help needed. But I won’t judge - I do not know everything that happened.
Lives are always taken into account for missions. If there are no people, then there is no mission.

If 1000 people at that carrier were sick, they would not be able to operate it. That is a rough number because they have been pretty slim lining those deployed fleets for some time now, meaning short manning them, all it take is a few OOC people to knock a ship out of commission.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Lives are always taken into account for missions. If there are no people, then there is no mission.

If 1000 people at that carrier were sick, they would not be able to operate it. That is a rough number because they have been pretty slim lining those deployed fleets for some time now, meaning short manning them, all it take is a few OOC people to knock a ship out of commission.

Depends on how sick. It's not a highly susceptible demographic. How many of them soldiers are in ICU or have died?

Old 04-03-2020, 03:25 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I keep reading that he sent it to 30 different people yet there is no legitimate source identifying anything. A generic statement from a temporarily appointed civilian doesn't mean cr*p!

I know why he was relieved no surprise there that's the rules of the game but it would be nice to hear a proper statement delivered by the Navy Brass and not some hack who may be gone next month if he pisses someone off.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:29 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:

It's a navy ship full of healthy sailors in their late teens, 20s, and some 30s.....not a retirement home for senior citizens.

Now not only the USS Theordore is out of commission, but our enemy/adversary knows why & how long USS Theordore is out of commission. Thanks to the captain.

Also, you honestly don't think the Navy has some kind of SOP for a disease outbreak in a ship?

Old 04-03-2020, 03:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
This story will likely be made into a movie, down the road.

Tom Hanks will be nominated for an Oscar.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:39 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
What is worse is an Acting Navy Secretary relieved him of duty.

Our Military must have vetted through a hearing and appointed leadership not a substitute. Trump drove Mattis, Kelly and McMasters out the only real military leadership he had.

One of the many Trump blunders that will ripple through our military on every level.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/uss-roose...r-cheered-crew

Old 04-03-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Depends on how sick. It's not a highly susceptible demographic. How many of them soldiers are in ICU or have died?
It is a susceptible demographic though, have you seen the hospitalization rates for those under 40? It is like 12% of those hospitalized are under 40. Even not hospitalized, high fever, horrible coughing, etc, would make someone not able to work. Definitely not something to risk with 5000 people on a ship.

As I said before, my ship was held up for two weeks in port due to a norovirus outbreak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I keep reading that he sent it to 30 different people yet there is no legitimate source identifying anything. A generic statement from a temporarily appointed civilian doesn't mean cr*p!

I know why he was relieved no surprise there that's the rules of the game but it would be nice to hear a proper statement delivered by the Navy Brass and not some hack who may be gone next month if he pisses someone off.
Well, something to it given who the person was that relieved him of command, and that there would be no punishment. I do not even think I read the standard "loss of confidence" reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
It's a navy ship full of healthy sailors in their late teens, 20s, and some 30s.....not a retirement home for senior citizens.

Now not only the USS Theordore is out of commission, but our enemy/adversary knows why & how long USS Theordore is out of commission. Thanks to the captain.

Also, you honestly don't think the Navy has some kind of SOP for a disease outbreak in a ship?
The SOP is pretty generic, been there, done that. The only issue, the actual real issue with this is what you said, the CO broadcasting this to the world, which is inexcusable, or at least not his call to make.

Healthy people if you have not been reading, are getting impacted also, a few end up dead as well. They are getting from no symptoms to hospitalization. A carrier out at sea is no place to be experimenting with who is getting what and to what degree. I can just imagine what would happen if the entire qualified navigation team could not even get out of bed due to being so sick.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:46 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post

Now not only the USS Theordore is out of commission, but our enemy/adversary knows why & how long USS Theordore is out of commission. Thanks to the captain. ...
Take it easy cowboy. Don't be so dramatic.

We have what, eleven carriers? Out of 41 in the whole world? Double the next country, with three more on order? ... and plenty of allies. We are not at war. We got this.

What is killing Americans today? The Coronavirus, that's our enemy right now. It is killing us all over the country and out at sea.

Leave no one behind.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
It is a susceptible demographic though, have you seen the hospitalization rates for those under 40? It is like 12% of those hospitalized are under 40. Even not hospitalized, high fever, horrible coughing, etc, would make someone not able to work. Definitely not something to risk with 5000 people on a ship.

That's 12% of the 20% hospitalized, assuming 100% infection rate about 2% or 50 total. Coughing and fever doesn't render one incapable. I repeat, how many of those soldiers are in ICU or have died?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies