Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 07:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
WOW!!!

Read this quote from the OP:

Is that TRUE or FALSE???

It's false as I've pointed out six ways from Sunday already but he keeps repeating it. That's not an error any more, it's a lie. 3M does not use that Canadian pulp in their masks.

Furthermore, you are implying that world production of masks is only up 2X which is completely absurd in on its own.
Wow
You also responded by stating that there was no cellulose needed to make ANY and ALL masks so six ways by Monday you were proven wrong.

Are we keeping score?

You post a generic and brief description list of materials in 3M's masks and yet you ignore your own FDA stating that their masks must also have a layer of cellulose/polyester combination to be within compliance.

Your post about 3M does not detail the exact list of materials nor where they come from. Yet your own FDA site clearly states that all masks have a cellulose polyester combination in one layer of the make up of the mask.

Whether or not it is that particular cellulose from the firm in Nanaimo BC is the only matter open for debate.

What we do know for certain is at least one "un-named" American manufacture of masks uses that and only that particular cellulose from that firm in Canada. The point is still the same; cut off the masks to Canada and Canada "could" but will not cut off the supply of that and any other materials needed to make them.

The point being lost in this whole nonsensical thread is that Trump is playing a dangerous game by cutting off or even going to the extent of hijacking other countries supply streams. .

Old 04-04-2020, 07:11 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The OP is a Canadian who snowbirds in FL, which is odd considering how much he hates the US.
You are confusing hating what the USA leader is doing, and his mass of devotees, to the USA and it's people. I have wonderful neighbors, many of them Republicans, at least old school Republicans, when Republicans had a heart.

Don't be afraid of accepting the idiotic things that exist in the USA. That's the only way to make it well again. It's not just COVID-19 that is making the country sick.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:21 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Even if that were true, so what? Canada isn't going to block it's export because that still doesn't get Canada any masks. It helps nobody. It's basically a we-lose-then-everybody-loses strategy. The US won't be any worse off because this all came about because places like Florida couldn't get *any* masks from 3M anyway. The biggest immediate loser would be 3M (no mask sales to anybody) and the secondary losers would be all the other countries in the world. But the biggest long-term lose would be Canada as 3M would make sure to never rely on Canada for it's materials again.
It seems there is a huge manufacturing country just across the ocean from the port city of Vancouver that produces masks. The USA is not the only. BTW, you knew that 3M has plants in China and Europe, right?

Old 04-04-2020, 07:22 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Trump does not want export of masks to Canada during this pandemic to protect american first responders = incompetent president

Trump allows exportation of mask to foreign countries and not protecting american first responders = incompetent president

You TDS has nothing else to complain?
So why then did we send makes and other forms of PPE to China??

Old 04-04-2020, 07:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
It's false as I've pointed out six ways from Sunday already but he keeps repeating it. That's not an error any more, it's a lie. 3M does not use that Canadian pulp in their masks.
hmm
If they're not using Canadian pulp ... they sure do spend a lot of time doing field assessments of their Canadian supplier.

3M Pulp and Paper Sourcing Policy Progress Report

"3M and Earthworm Foundation are committed to working with suppliers to promote protection of high conservation values in the Canadian Great Northern Forest (boreal forest) and the ability of the forests to provide wildlife habitat, ecosystem services, and natural beauty for generations to come. This is accomplished through field assessments of supplier practices, deep engagement with forest managers and scientists, and a focus on identifying innovative management practices. To maximize the likelihood of success, these actions require collaboration with industry, indigenous peoples and local communities, with the aim of restoring balance to the relationship between people and nature."

And 3M standing their ground against our fearless leader; it's evident he (among others) has never heard of the "Golden Rule" ...

3M pushes back on Trump administration order to stop sending N95 masks to Canada

"3M is a "critical supplier" of the masks to Canada and Latin America, the company said in a statement, pointing to the "significant humanitarian implications" of denying protective equipment to health-care workers on the front lines of a fight against a global pandemic. Doing so, it added, might elicit a costly hostile response."

If the supplies get cut off, because of Trump and his hot headedness ... it's just another day on the island right? I smell cooked goose --- may be, that's just me.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:25 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry6l...&feature=share

Old 04-04-2020, 07:39 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You do know what they say about assumptions, right?

The u.s. does not have the trust it once did, Trump has seen to it, that we don't and the American citizen is okay with that. If this event goes into overtime, remember that.

The average citizen over this pass century has built their career, through networking and having someone, put in a good word for them ... funny we don't believe the same thing should be when it comes to (sustaining the u.s. economy) the government. The same government that sold its people up the river decades ago ... but that's besides the point.

Point being, this country was never an island, why make it one now? And how is it most folks are okay with that, even with the knowing that practice would not sustain their career?

I grew up in Tyler. The Tyler today is not the same Tyler I grew up in ... just so you know, I'm old. There have been a lot of changes over the years and within those changes are indicators, where one can pretty much project, what happens next.
Greetings from your hometown.

Speaking of assumptions, I never said that the United States should be "an island." I'm keenly aware of the issues you raised.

Like everything else that gets reduced to a binary choice in debate, we don't have to choose between pure globalism or pure nationalism. Balance is essential any time you have competing ideas which all have some merit. The balance has been in a post WWII reconstruction tilt for far, far too long, though. Trump's resetting it. There's a good chance that's the source of your idea that other countries do "not have the trust" they once had for us. It's the reason behind that narrative as it's played out in the media, anyway. On the ground in many of these places, the sentiment is quite different.

This thread is about Trump supposedly refusing to send supplies we need here to another country, with the assertion that that's a Bad Thing. I disagree fundamentally with that assertion. The United States is the most generous country in the history of the world, by far. If we had them to spare, they'd be on the next plane. That's just who we are. But right now, we need them here. Sorry, Canada, but we know you understand, because you'd be doing exactly the same thing, if you're not already.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So why then did we send makes and other forms of PPE to China??
Because ...

Why China Buys U.S. Debt With Treasury Bonds

Impact of China Buying U.S. Debt

"U.S. debt offers the safest heaven for Chinese forex reserves, which effectively means that China offers loans to the U.S. so that the U.S. can keep buying the goods China produces.

Hence, as long as China continues to have an export-driven economy with a huge trade surplus with the U.S., it will keep piling up U.S. dollars and U.S. debt. Chinese loans to the .U.S., through the purchase of U.S. debt, enable the U.S. to buy Chinese products. It’s a win-win situation for both nations, with both benefiting mutually. China gets a huge market for its products, and the U.S. benefits from the economical prices of Chinese goods. Beyond their well-known political rivalry, both nations (willingly or unwillingly) are locked in a state of inter-dependency from which both benefit, and which is likely to continue. "(my emphasis)

Old 04-04-2020, 07:45 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Trump does not want export of masks to Canada during this pandemic to protect american first responders = incompetent president

Trump allows exportation of mask to foreign countries and not protecting american first responders = incompetent president

You TDS has nothing else to complain?
and then Canada refuses to export the raw material to the US.

More prospective idiotic trade wars.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Greetings from your hometown.

Speaking of assumptions, I never said that the United States should be "an island." I'm keenly aware of the issues you raised.

Like everything else that gets reduced to a binary choice in debate, we don't have to choose between pure globalism or pure nationalism. Balance is essential any time you have competing ideas which all have some merit. The balance has been in a post WWII reconstruction tilt for far, far too long, though. Trump's resetting it. There's a good chance that's the source of your idea that other countries do "not have the trust" they once had for us. It's the reason behind that narrative as it's played out in the media, anyway. On the ground in many of these places, the sentiment is quite different.

This thread is about Trump supposedly refusing to send supplies we need here to another country, with the assertion that that's a Bad Thing. I disagree fundamentally with that assertion. The United States is the most generous country in the history of the world, by far. If we had them to spare, they'd be on the next plane. That's just who we are. But right now, we need them here. Sorry, Canada, but we know you understand, because you'd be doing exactly the same thing, if you're not already.
Greetings ...
Quote:
I don't think you are. Did you know you are living in what use to be, the 'wettest' dry county in Texas? I'll let you think on that awhile. If you were raised there, then you know what I'm talking about, the changes and how they came to be and the growth that followed soon after. [speaks to my reference on indicators, knowing them before hand, seeing them implemented and the results, thereafter, if one lives long enough to witness)

Quote:
Like everything else that gets reduced to a binary choice in debate, we don't have to choose between pure globalism or pure nationalism.
It's called global supply chains that have been around since this country was founded, that until Trump and his tariff wars, this country was enjoying low prices in their obsession with consumerism. Trump wasn't resettling anything, interesting you think he was ... there was nothing to resettle. Companies like their supply chains, because that is what has put their kids through college. (of course there's more to it than that)

Quote:
There's a good chance that's the source of your idea that other countries do "not have the trust" they once had for us. It's the reason behind that narrative as it's played out in the media, anyway.
The source are the leaders of countries speaking into a reporter's mic. I don't need a sport's announcer to do a recap, even though most news anchors believe we do.

Quote:
This thread is about Trump supposedly refusing to send supplies we need here to another country, with the assertion that that's a Bad Thing. I disagree fundamentally with that assertion. The United States is the most generous country in the history of the world, by far.
Only when it benefits the u.s. to do so and most often it's after we have gone in and bombed the crap out of 'em ... we go back in clean up and leave them with a parting gift of some technology they wouldn't otherwise have. (a college classmate back in the day, gave his speech on theirs, hm)

During the Arab Spring and back when people were freer to publish content on the Internet than what they are now ... I saw clip, of a female citizen, [back drop was the unrest] telling the u.s. to stop sending the aid, because it never reaches the people. But then of course, that's not why the u.s. sends the Arab government money.
Quote:
Sorry, Canada, but we know you understand, because you'd be doing exactly the same thing, if you're not already.
Other countries will have to be the humanitarians ... the u.s. has lost their way, but as a peer back through history ... I'm not sure the u.s. ever really knew. And that pains me to know end to say it.

Have you ever heard what goes around, comes around ... ? it's a lesson some folks have to learn the hard way. And here I thought Donald Trump wouldn't serve a purpose.

[ps: the azalea trails are pretty this time of year ...]

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 04-04-2020 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies