Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 08:40 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Wow
You also responded by stating that there was no cellulose needed to make ANY and ALL masks so six ways by Monday you were proven wrong.

Are we keeping score?
Yes, you managed to find a mask that uses cellulose. Whoopdeedoo, it's nothing to do with my original point which is that 3M doesn't require the cellulose to make their masks. It's not a standard component of masks as I demonstrated in my 3 references.

Quote:
You post a generic and brief description list of materials in 3M's masks and yet you ignore your own FDA stating that their masks must also have a layer of cellulose/polyester combination to be within compliance. Your post about 3M does not detail the exact list of materials nor where they come from.
What are you talking about? I posted the materials used in the masks, straight from 3M's datasheet. There's no mention of cellulose. Are you saying they're lying?

Here it is again. This is straight from the data sheet of the 3M 1860S, N95 mask. https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...INAL_V4_R5.pdf

Material Composition
• Straps – Braided Polyisoprene
• Staples – Steel
• Nose Clip – Aluminum
• Nose Foam – Polyurethane Foam
• Filter – Polypropylene
• Shell – Polyester
• Coverweb - Polypropylene
• Not made with natural rubber latex
• Approximate weight of product: 0.40 oz.

Is that not specific enough for you? Do you see any cellulose in there?

Quote:

Yet your own FDA site clearly states that all masks have a cellulose polyester combination in one layer of the make up of the mask.
What are you talking about? You have posted a link to an application of one particular mask made in Hong Kong submitted to the FDA for approval, on the applicants own letterhead (Filligent), and that particular mask uses cellulose.

Where are you getting the idea that the FDA REQUIRES that "all masks have a cellulose polyester combination in one layer of the make up of the mask"
Are you inferring that because one applicant used it? That doesn't even make sense. If you think it's an FDA requirement, show us a document that says that.

Quote:
Whether or not it is that particular cellulose from the firm in Nanaimo BC is the only matter open for debate.
Correct, there's that too, even if the 3M mask did use it, which it doesn't.
Quote:

What we do know for certain is at least one "un-named" American manufacture of masks uses that and only that particular cellulose from that firm in Canada. The point is still the same; cut off the masks to Canada and Canada "could" but will not cut off the supply of that and any other materials needed to make them.
No, you don't even know that, since it's un-named. Not that it matters. My original point was and still is that 3M isn't dependent on Canadian cellulose to make masks. Period.

So unless you can demonstrate that the 3M mask I referenced uses their cellulose then you've been badgering me for absolutely no reason.
Quote:
The point being lost in this whole nonsensical thread is that Trump is playing a dangerous game by cutting off or even going to the extent of hijacking other countries supply streams. .
I agree with that. My point was that the OP overstated his case and presented false information to make a point -- something I frequently will speak up about regardless of which side of the argument they're on.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:34 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Because ...

Why China Buys U.S. Debt With Treasury Bonds

Impact of China Buying U.S. Debt

"U.S. debt offers the safest heaven for Chinese forex reserves, which effectively means that China offers loans to the U.S. so that the U.S. can keep buying the goods China produces.

Hence, as long as China continues to have an export-driven economy with a huge trade surplus with the U.S., it will keep piling up U.S. dollars and U.S. debt. Chinese loans to the .U.S., through the purchase of U.S. debt, enable the U.S. to buy Chinese products. It’s a win-win situation for both nations, with both benefiting mutually. China gets a huge market for its products, and the U.S. benefits from the economical prices of Chinese goods. Beyond their well-known political rivalry, both nations (willingly or unwillingly) are locked in a state of inter-dependency from which both benefit, and which is likely to continue. "(my emphasis)
In the shorter version Trumps okay with more people getting sick and possibly dying that’s all you had to say.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:15 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Canada is a friend and ally. If we need to take care of friends and allies now, or in the future we won't have any.

Imagine if you had a friend constantly saying me first, me first. They won't be your friend much longer. If America becomes an island, we will all be much worse off our kids or grand kids will be.

I suppose it's not about "friends and allies" any longer..

"As the coronavirus pandemic spreads across Europe and the United States, a global scramble for medical equipment such as respirator masks and gloves is underway. Several countries have accused the United States of trying to hijack their orders, but the details of who may have done what to whom are still murky.In France they are calling it the "guerre des masques" -- the war of the masks, and on Friday German officials also made allegations against the United States."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/europ...ntl/index.html

Old 04-04-2020, 10:32 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Because ...

Why China Buys U.S. Debt With Treasury Bonds

Impact of China Buying U.S. Debt

"U.S. debt offers the safest heaven for Chinese forex reserves, which effectively means that China offers loans to the U.S. so that the U.S. can keep buying the goods China produces.

Hence, as long as China continues to have an export-driven economy with a huge trade surplus with the U.S., it will keep piling up U.S. dollars and U.S. debt. Chinese loans to the .U.S., through the purchase of U.S. debt, enable the U.S. to buy Chinese products. It’s a win-win situation for both nations, with both benefiting mutually. China gets a huge market for its products, and the U.S. benefits from the economical prices of Chinese goods. Beyond their well-known political rivalry, both nations (willingly or unwillingly) are locked in a state of inter-dependency from which both benefit, and which is likely to continue. "(my emphasis)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
In the shorter version Trumps okay with more people getting sick and possibly dying that’s all you had to say.
There's a lot there, if one knows what they are looking at ... do you remember your question, why would Trump send medical supplies to China? It's called, knowing which side your bread is buttered on when you're up to your arse in debt.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:54 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Guess it needs to come from the USA in future so others besides 3M have access to it and can make masks.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:50 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Guess it needs to come from the USA in future so others besides 3M have access to it and can make masks.
The trees the pulp comes from... don't grow in the USA.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:06 AM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You are confusing hating what the USA leader is doing, and his mass of devotees, to the USA and it's people. I have wonderful neighbors, many of them Republicans, at least old school Republicans, when Republicans had a heart.

Don't be afraid of accepting the idiotic things that exist in the USA. That's the only way to make it well again. It's not just COVID-19 that is making the country sick.
Oh puhleez

Democrats don't "have a heart" either. It seems to me that you have had this discussion before. So why are you attempting to rehash it?

You don't like the current president? Too darn bad. Deal with it. It's not like you can vote in US elections thus you have no say. Yet you get yourself all worked up about it. That makes no sense.

Why don't you snowbird in Mexico or Central America since the US gives you agita?

Old 04-05-2020, 10:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The trees the pulp comes from... don't grow in the USA.

What is magical about that pulp that makes it impossible to develop a filter from any other pulp? Even if you are correct that some mask is manufactured only from that pulp, why do you think it couldn't be manufactured from an alternative pulp? Perhaps some machinery might need to be modified to accomodate different physical properties but that is done all the time in manufacturing.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Oh puhleez

Democrats don't "have a heart" either. It seems to me that you have had this discussion before. So why are you attempting to rehash it?

You don't like the current president? Too darn bad. Deal with it. It's not like you can vote in US elections thus you have no say. Yet you get yourself all worked up about it. That makes no sense.

Why don't you snowbird in Mexico or Central America since the US gives you agita?
I spend time in Mexico also.

Wonderful people, humble, welcoming and amazing culture and history. You should try it.

"Puede ser útil para sus puntos de vista vivir en una cultura diferente."

Wish I didn't have to continue paying more taxes in the USA than Canada though. Maybe this whole COVID-19 will realign how I deal with that.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What is magical about that pulp that makes it impossible to develop a filter from any other pulp? Even if you are correct that some mask is manufactured only from that pulp, why do you think it couldn't be manufactured from an alternative pulp? Perhaps some machinery might need to be modified to accomodate different physical properties but that is done all the time in manufacturing.
Here are the areas the trees grow:

The ONLY pulp plant that has the formula to make the specific pulp is in Canada. The tree only exists above 7,000 feet above sea level. In other words, the distribution you see is the total area, but it just doesn't exist in commercial quantities elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies