Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 10:55 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sadly, I don't think ya joking.
She's not. If I had any younger friends and relatives like her, I'd damned well rewrite my will to make sure that upon my demise every dime I owned went elsewhere.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:24 AM

13,605 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
So using your numbers, 1/100 die from it, out of those 992/1000 had at least one serious underlying condition, meaning 8/1000 would be considered "healthy" with no known underlying condition.

Therefore 8/100,000 or 1/12,500 so-called "healthy" people with no known underlying condition would die from the virus, on average.
I don't know how accurate that 99.2% figure from Italy is. But regardless, there is a good point here. Some have suggested that the best strategy would be to protect the elderly and the sick, and let the rest of the population go back to social contact. Millions would get infected, but few would die, and we would more quickly build up the herd immunity that everyone is talking about lately.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:37 AM

13,605 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm pretty sure he did not ever really have anything. I'm pretty sure Tom Hanks didn't either for that matter.

The MSM lies to you on purpose about hundreds of things though, but few people actually stop to ponder what the ramifications of that really are. People want to believe they are not being lied to I guess, because they don't want to believe they are being manipulated and played on a grand scale by malevolent interests.
No. The government lies. Politicians lie. Big business lies. All the media does is repeat the lies they are told.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm pretty sure he did not ever really have anything. I'm pretty sure Tom Hanks didn't either for that matter.

The MSM lies to you on purpose about hundreds of things though, but few people actually stop to ponder what the ramifications of that really are. People want to believe they are not being lied to I guess, because they don't want to believe they are being manipulated and played on a grand scale by malevolent interests.
You really are far down the rabbit hole.

IF Boris Johnson weren't ill or admitted to the ICU - wouldn't he come out and say so?

Same with Tom Hanks?

Or the Fox and Friends person who contracted it?

Good lands.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:38 PM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Good. This will open up their estates to their relatives.

Right now there are tons of elderly who have vast estates they plan to use to stuggle to stay alive. If they do early it will be an economic boom.
Wow. No need to take your frustration and rage out on the elderly. Perhaps you are in line for an inheritance you wish to fast track.

My elderly relatives spent down on retirement communities and nice assisted living facilities. It is their retirement money for their elder years, not an heir's entitlement. I am glad they didn't get stricken down earlier by something like this virus and they got to live to ripe old ages despite medical issues like hypertension or cardiac problems. They did get illnesses like the flu which didn't kill them, but this virus might have.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I don't know how accurate that 99.2% figure from Italy is. But regardless, there is a good point here. Some have suggested that the best strategy would be to protect the elderly and the sick, and let the rest of the population go back to social contact. Millions would get infected, but few would die, and we would more quickly build up the herd immunity that everyone is talking about lately.
The problem with that strategy is that it simply doesn't work. You simply CAN'T isolate the elderly and the sick from the virus when it's circulating widely in the population. Out of sheer necessity, those groups have to have interactions with younger/healthier people; sooner or later, a "healthy" young person asymptomatically shedding SARS-CoV-2 will show up and pass it on to those vulnerable people, and there goes your quarantine.

Sweden tried that tactic; now one out of every three old age homes in Stockholm has documented cases of COVID-19. Real great quarantine job there, Sweden!

Old 04-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
My elderly relatives spent down on retirement communities and nice assisted living facilities. It is their retirement money for their elder years, not an heir's entitlement. I am glad they didn't get stricken down earlier by something like this virus and they got to live to ripe old ages despite medical issues like hypertension or cardiac problems.
Yes. Isn't the goal to have as many people live long and reasonably healthy lives as possible? Sounds like your aging relatives managed that, and that is a good thing.

Primitive societies with no access to modern medicine do still exist, for those who prefer a more Darwinian approach to life. Funny, though, you don't see many people voluntarily choosing to move to them.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Wow. No need to take your frustration and rage out on the elderly. Perhaps you are in line for an inheritance you wish to fast track.
Wow yourself. This is the way it has always been. My parents have passed so this isn't about me. One reason people are so poor today is because the interpreted wealth is not coming to them like prior generations got. But I wouldn't harp on that if people weren't trying to imply that the death of the infirm will hurt the economy. No way.. it is much more likely to help it.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:31 PM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Wow yourself. This is the way it has always been. My parents have passed so this isn't about me. One reason people are so poor today is because the interpreted wealth is not coming to them like prior generations got. But I wouldn't harp on that if people weren't trying to imply that the death of the infirm will hurt the economy. No way.. it is much more likely to help it.
That's news to me. Few people got significant inheritances in the past, few people had much wealth when life spans were shorter.

I'm not sure who is saying deaths of the infirm will hurt the economy or what that has to do with anything.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:04 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The problem with that strategy is that it simply doesn't work. You simply CAN'T isolate the elderly and the sick from the virus when it's circulating widely in the population. Out of sheer necessity, those groups have to have interactions with younger/healthier people; sooner or later, a "healthy" young person asymptomatically shedding SARS-CoV-2 will show up and pass it on to those vulnerable people, and there goes your quarantine.

Sweden tried that tactic; now one out of every three old age homes in Stockholm has documented cases of COVID-19. Real great quarantine job there, Sweden!
It is possible but of course difficult.

The basic stalling idea is to isolate them long enough so that we have gained significantly better medical knowledge and a better chance of treating any serious covid 19 symptoms if and when they contract the virus down the road.

Or we have a useful vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies