Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 02:46 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

Apparently the experts still think that a vaccine will work even though natural immunity is not occurring or can’t be demonstrated reliably. Fauci says an effective vaccine is the game changer we need but it is still probably over a year away. Probably every living person will need the vaccine to eradicate the virus— including newborns — for some time to come. The vaccine will have to target a part of the virus genome that never or rarely mutates in order to fight mutations.

We are almost six months into this and we still don’t have a good handle on the virus. At this rate we may be living in some level of shutdown and isolation for a long time. I watched a few of the six nations rugby tournament games played in empty stadiums and the game was great but very odd. The problem was that a few thousand fans were congregated outside the stadium spreading contagion while the game was being played. The players and coaches were then getting sick so they suspended everything. We will need more discipline, not less, if we are going to try to reach ‘normal’ sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 02:49 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We are almost six months into this and we still don’t have a good handle on the virus. At this rate we may be living in some level of shutdown and isolation for a long time. I watched a few of the six nations rugby tournament games played in empty stadiums and the game was great but very odd. The problem was that a few thousand fans were congregated outside the stadium spreading contagion while the game was being played. The players and coaches were then getting sick so they suspended everything. We will need more discipline, not less, if we are going to try to reach ‘normal’ sooner rather than later.
Not in Texas.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:52 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/balajis/s...17347646144513

Does that mean we have to social distance forever?

Does that mean sporting events, concerts, movie theaters, gyms, dine in restaurants, shopping etc will have to close permanently?

Does that mean schools and universities will be online Permanently

Would you be ok with this?
I don't know that sporting events, graduations, wedding, funerals, concerts, etc. will be closed permanently, but I do see them being very limited for some time to come. Even DeSantis, who is a little Trump mini me doesn't see sporting events or movie theaters opening up anytime soon.

I will most likely social distance for as far out into the future as I can imagine. When and if we get a vaccine, I may relax a little, but until then, I'm maintaining my distance and wearing a mask in public.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:54 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
It may be possible for some people to stay at home all day and do nothing else, but certainly not everyone. We are social beings
You don't have to stay home all the time. You can socialize safely, but maintain your distance. I don't see myself participating in any events with a lot of people. I am looking forward to some driveway happy hours with neighbors though.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:59 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
How can any of us know what will happen? Nobody does. Yes, you can huff and puff and say "I won't stand for it!" but if things simply don't open, then what are you going to do about it? Demand that the sporting events and concerts happen even if the venues are closed? Why get all riled up over something so silly, especially when nobody knows what this will look like in six months or a year?

We as a country have persevered through things much worse than *gasp* being asked to stay home for a month or two to stop the spread of a virus. Good grief, it's a good thing we're not at war, in the middle of the Great Depression, or alive before indoor plumbing... so much whining right now over nothing!

Old 04-26-2020, 03:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Apparently the experts still think that a vaccine will work even though natural immunity is not occurring or can’t be demonstrated reliably. Fauci says an effective vaccine is the game changer we need but it is still probably over a year away. Probably every living person will need the vaccine to eradicate the virus— including newborns — for some time to come. The vaccine will have to target a part of the virus genome that never or rarely mutates in order to fight mutations.

Could you please link articles related to the players and coaches getting sick because I googled to get more info and found one article where one female player tested positive. Thanks

https://www.rugbyworld.com/tournamen...navirus-108643

Old 04-26-2020, 03:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:

Please, one thing that I’m almost certain of is you don’t go from initial exposure to being sick in a couple hours.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:34 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever tried arguing with a Pandemic extremist? No different than arguing with a religious fanatic!

The pandemic extremists, I know a number of them, are going to carry this current behavior forwards, perhaps even beyond the discovery of a vaccine. You won't see these extremists ever going to a sports event, a concert or even to a crowded restaurant. Why? They don't want to miss the Last Greatest Show On Earth, the nuclear holocaust.

I live in a 55+ community with an activity building, where we have potlucks every month, big dinners for everyone on the holidays, card games, a library, and I already know what to expect at the next potluck, everyone trying to seat themselves 6 feet away from others. No thanks!

Same with the pool, now closed. When that re-opens, again, there'll be no surprises!

It will be left to the braver souls to help re-stimulate the economy!

Sounds like the weather fanatics we have so many of these days.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:25 PM

230 posts, read 114,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever tried arguing with a Pandemic extremist? No different than arguing with a religious fanatic!

The pandemic extremists, I know a number of them, are going to carry this current behavior forwards, perhaps even beyond the discovery of a vaccine. You won't see these extremists ever going to a sports event, a concert or even to a crowded restaurant. Why? They don't want to miss the Last Greatest Show On Earth, the nuclear holocaust.

I live in a 55+ community with an activity building, where we have potlucks every month, big dinners for everyone on the holidays, card games, a library, and I already know what to expect at the next potluck, everyone trying to seat themselves 6 feet away from others. No thanks!

Same with the pool, now closed. When that re-opens, again, there'll be no surprises!

It will be left to the braver souls to help re-stimulate the economy!
Mass death is not good for the economy either. And if you try to open to soon that's what happens. People don't like dead bodies and overwhelmed hospital systems. Do you want to be gasping for air and laying in the hospital hallway? I work in a hospital so I know it happens. It's not alarmist or extremist to not just think of myself and put the entire world in a death spiral.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:27 PM

230 posts, read 114,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
No.

Human beings have an average memory span that is barely longer than that of a lobotomized ferret. We have these financial meltdowns about every 6-7 years or so, and these viral scares about every 3 years or so. Who even remembers these things?

Once again, the so-called "experts" are full of crap. People will be careful at first, but by this time next year, most of these people will look back on this like it happened in another world.
By this time next year we'll be on the second or third wave, which will be a little worse. Just look at what happened with the spanish flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies