Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 10:17 PM

16,140 posts, read 10,818,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Trust me, I hate it.

I wanna go out on weekends again, I miss hitting up the bar with friends and playing pool, going to get drinks after work, hitting this cool spot for lunch with co workers.

There's this girl I haven't seen since all this started, and I miss her alot. I miss just going to my friend's recording studio and working on projects, and overall just being out of the house with a destination in mind...

I miss the world being normal.

Libera/conservative/libertarian, anarcho, whatever.. We're all restless and this effin' sucks..
People are so used to thumb-in-the-eye partisan fighting that they are using that lens to view the Coronavirus crisis. Everybody sees this as a horrific turn of events — right, left, liberal, conservative, upside-down and sideways. It is a two edged sword— favor one thing and you hurt the other. The economy will eventually recover once the disease is defeated. There will be a lot of victims along the way — economically wounded. We have to realize and be supportive of the economic harm and the victims of the shutdown. This is not a time for greed. More importantly we have to defeat the highly contagious virus - one that we know very little about and that is resistant to usual remedies and existing vaccines. Most people are following directives but “most people” is not enough. A state that botches the reopening will set us all back and the weeks of sacrifice will be for nothing. We will see another ten thousand dead. We need solid public confidence that the virus is controlled before we get anywhere close to normal. This is not the time to be going to beaches or concerts. This is a time for discipline, patience, and unity with a focus on defeating the virus.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:19 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,362,616 times
Social distancing and shutdowns were never even meant to stop the virus from spreading. The point was to delay the spread so hospitals don't get overwhelmed...that's what the whole "flatten the curve" thing is about. Those charts show that the same number of people are expected to get the virus either way, but it's just being spread out longer.

So.....almost no hospitals are overwhelmed - the opposite is true in many cases - so what's the justification for keeping this going?

EDIT: I see a couple others made this point already. Good.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:20 PM

34,129 posts, read 17,188,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, I find it very inconvenient to be worried about how I’m going to put food on the table and keep a roof over our heads.
Great point.

No, OP, our views of the shut forever phobics is not twisted. We read them perfectly. That is why they protest so much.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:25 PM

21,495 posts, read 10,617,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShySkye View Post
Nor do we have the right to force people to put their lives at risk to go back to work. People should not have to choose between their lives and their livelihoods.
People are doing exactly that - forcing people to choose lives over their livelihoods. Do you honestly think everyone is just hunky dory because many of them got a stimulus check? Do you know how many millions haven’t received one dime and won’t? And how many people are losing everything because of this response?

Old 05-04-2020, 10:26 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,132,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great point.

No, OP, our views of the shut forever phobics is not twisted. We read them perfectly. That is why they protest so much.
Can they at least be smart about it? Because they seem to be eager yo put themselves and others on ventilators...

Old 05-04-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd like one question answered. Why in the F are ALL media outlets open? On their best day they aren't anything approaching "essential". Most are just bad entertainment aimed at manipulating the public. Yet every one of these fools are still collecting a paycheck-all the while attacking people who simply want to go back to work and do the same thing. Bigger question-why are elected officials collecting a paycheck while they are destroying those that pay their salaries? Has even one elected official declined to take a paycheck until the shutdowns are over? Or failing that, has even one donated their salary to people that need it?
Good question. I have no problem with journalists being allowed to work, but I do have a problem with government workers and journalists who deride people who’ve lost everything while they haven’t missed a paycheck. And I especially have a problem with congress voting themselves a raise during this while hiding behind the virus as a reason not to come back and do the job we pay them for.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:37 PM

10,106 posts, read 14,517,684 times
Quote:
People will die from covid whether we trash our economy or start to resume our economy, step by step.

It's easy and callous for those like us, who are employed, with me working from home, to say "Keep 30 million unemployed (even though we know poverty faces millions of them), so I can maintain an illusion of increased safety." I will NEVER say that, or think that. I have NO right to interfere with others ability to earn a living, keep a roof over them, keep eating, keep medical care up. Do you have the right to interrupt those things?

Covid is not going away, by America hiding under the covers cowering.
This is all so on point. I completely agree.

We need to get back to work.

Folks that are elderly and with compromised immunity can shelter in place indefinitely, and wait for the vaccine if need be.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Can they at least be smart about it? ..
Most will be.

Businesses are spending large sums of money to improve safety related to covid.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Good question. I have no problem with journalists being allowed to work, but I do have a problem with government workers and journalists who deride people who’ve lost everything while they haven’t missed a paycheck. And I especially have a problem with congress voting themselves a raise during this while hiding behind the virus as a reason not to come back and do the job we pay them for.

Amen. IMO, government should not be able to shut down w/o furloughing, w/o pay and benefits, all its' staff other than those truly working due to covid (teachers doing online classes, LEOs, firemen, EMTs, doctors and nurses).

In the interim, lay off all the parks employees, all museum employees, all administrative staff, all management staff unrelated to teaching, law enforcement, or fire departments.

It should be mandated that one cannot enact a shutdown w/o concurrently doing the above.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Most will be.

Businesses are spending large sums of money to improve safety related to covid.
Yes they are, and no one is opening like we were prior to mid-March. There will be guidelines, plus I do believe the summer months may provide some relief. Fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies