Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 11:36 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
There were no movements and no gofundme's for them.
So?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 11:39 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/ellieb...order-n2568379 (GOOD!!) exas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) announced on Thursday that no citizens could be jailed for violating his executive stay-at-home order, retroactive to April 2. The governor's announcement is expected to facilitate the immediate release of Dallas hair salon owner, Shelley Luther. )
I wonder if it was a Dem black/ Latina salon owner? I never wanted my child born in TEXAS,,, made my hubby drive me back to Fl and delivered 10 days later,,, I know what goes on there.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Customers make choices. That doesn't bother me. If her stylists preferred to stay at home safe, that does bother me.

It's moot now since they are allowed to be open, but it wasn't when she re-opened.
Then they could stay home. It is my experience that many hair stylists work as independent contractors so they probably don't qualify for unemployment. I don't know how her studio works, but if it's like my friend then that's how they do it. They benefit from working with a well-known stylist who has built a reputation like this woman.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I would like to see some proof of the suggestion that she is well off, etc. So far I have seen the usual leftist posters here saying that she is, with nothing to back that that up other than they are saying so. And as we all know, leftists are notorious for attacking and smearing people in ways that are not true.

On what do you base the assertion that this hairdresser is "well off"?
Even if she is well off from her studio, she still has lost revenue since the local government deemed her studio as a non-essential business.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
The argument will just shift.
It truly doesn't matter if she has a chain of salons. This is about rights in a free country, and the arbitrary power of the local government to shut her business down while allowing all sorts of other businesses to be open.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:53 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Then they could stay home. It is my experience that many hair stylists work as independent contractors so they probably don't qualify for unemployment. I don't know how her studio works, but if it's like my friend then that's how they do it. They benefit from working with a well-known stylist who has built a reputation like this woman.
Normally they don't, but during COVID they do. So do realtors and others who don't usually qualify. And they get the extra 600/week from the feds.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It truly doesn't matter if she has a chain of salons. This is about rights in a free country, and the arbitrary power of the local government to shut her business down while allowing all sorts of other businesses to be open.
It matters to me that she stood in court and lied, talking about her stylists going w/o food so their children can eat. She didn't argue on constitutional grounds, she argued on needs-based.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:04 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If the poster or someone else who continues to make these so-far unsupported assertions does not prove it, then we can just chalk this up as yet another baseless claim by leftist posters here on this board.

And of course you have quite a few entries on that list yourself.
Yet I see you didn’t actually answer the question...

Old 05-07-2020, 12:05 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
It matters to me that she stood in court and lied, talking about her stylists going w/o food so their children can eat. She didn't argue on constitutional grounds, she argued on needs-based.
You still have nothing to back up your claims with regards to what her actual needs actually are, apparently.

A business owner has financial obligations associated with that business that are not stopped by the government announcing a "shutdown". In fact, the instant loss of all revenue is an existential threat to most businesses. If they had to choose between having this happen, or having their offices burned to the ground, quite a few would pick the fire - for perfectly rational financial and other business reasons.

A lot of businesses are getting ready to shut down forever. That is not because of the virus. It is because of the government mandated shutdowns.

The only possible way out of this for many of these businesses is to get back to work and to try to get things going again as quickly as they can, in order to try to salvage not only their businesses, but also the jobs provided to the employees who work there and the product offerings provided to paying customers who clearly value those goods and services.

Leftists like to posture as if they have a lot of compassion for other people. What a lie. What a load of pure crap. What Democrat leftists value is domination and control, and the behavioral response we have broadly witnessed with regards to these shutdowns has demonstrated that here in this country, perhaps more vividly than anything else we have ever seen before.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:06 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Tyranny is alive and well in some US states. Seems these politicians and judges need to read the US Constitution instead of wiping their behind with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies