Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 06:35 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I do think it makes sense for the Governor to pardon her in theory. But I think it would be standard operating procedure for the Governor to do a background check on her first to determine that she does not have some dark skeleton in her closet (former member of the Klan, etc..). From a practical standpoint it may jsut not be possible to complete such a check prior to her serving her 7 day sentence.
WTH? The racism here is astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 06:37 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
She got caught. I know a lot of people who break this "law" "order" "guidelines" every single day. There is no doubt in my mind that this judge made an example of her. If you want to call this justice, then there is really no reason to argue.

This said, I totally support shelter-in-place order, and will obey as long as I can. I don't view her as a hero, nor do I view her as a villain.
She got “caught” because she went to the media days before she opened and told them of her intent to open, day and time.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:40 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
But Katygirl, SHE WENT ON A CRUISE! BURN HER!

Old 05-07-2020, 06:41 AM

21,944 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
That's incorrect.

The judge offered to waive her jail sentence if she apologized to the community - she refused.
Why SHOULD she apologize for feeding her family?

Old 05-07-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The federal government has more than enough resources to keep small businesses afloat during these lockdowns without the need for GoFundMe.

This could all have been avoided if the small business loan program wasn't so mismanaged.
So now it's all Trump's fault, right?

Old 05-07-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You are correct. I don't understand people who claim to support law and order but also support the refusal to abide by laws they deem to be inconvenient.
Are you serious, Mr./Ms. Open Borders?

Old 05-07-2020, 06:45 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
As others have said, we have a responsibility to bring attention to Unconstitutional (illegal) laws as this woman did. They judge is a Far Left activist, control freak who thinks he is ROYALTY. The arbitrary declaration by government of what businesses are "essential" what are "non-essential" is utterly RIDICULOUS and also unconstitutional.
That is fine and perhaps this can be a test case if she decides to take it further. However, she violated the law. She should not have been arrested imo, but we have to be very careful about applying the law here and there and make sure that doesn't snowball in other areas.

I would suspect that this order and arrest would be held up in court and in fact IS constitutional, particularly based on the TX constitution with such emergence authority vested in the governor. Which provision of the US Constitution would you say is being violated here? Due process of the law under the 5th Amendment? Perhaps, and if tested, it may very well play out that way.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:53 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Let me guess, the barber in the other state is black? In some people’s minds, white people are too privileged to feel sorry for. I don’t know if that’s you, but it sure is the other poster’s position. Just because Luther is blonde and has a nice house doesn’t mean her claim isn’t valid or she isn’t suffering from losing her business or being deemed “non-essential.”
No, the barber is not black. I simply believed him whereas with Shelly, from the area where I live and people know her personally, is lying. She is not struggling with feeding her kids. The Barber I spoke of has one little shop, not a string of salons.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:56 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Because people don't have to have their hair cut, colored, permed, or whatever they do. I go to a beauty salon to have my hair cut. My last haircut was March 2. I'm surviving, it is not an essential service.
Beauty salon is an essential service for Texas trophy wives.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:58 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Beauty salon is an essential service for Texas trophy wives.
What a rude and unnecessary comment. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies