Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 07:44 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The stay-at-home order that was issued and was legally binding under the authority of the order. That is a law while in effect. If one believes it is wrong, one can argue the merits of that legitimately. I am not arguing that it is correct or incorrect one way or another, simply that we don't get to ignore laws because we don't like them.

If one believes in the rule of law, we don't get to apply and enforce the law in a hodgepodge way and that law must be applied and enforced equally across the board.
How can one argue the merits when all discussion was shut down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 07:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Some see this is being a "set up." I see this a bit more charitably, and side with the hair dresser.

There is much belief that Martin Luther King's and Mahatma Gandhi's jailings were similarly "staged." The arrest of the birth-control using couple that sparked the Connecticut v. Griswold decision was definitely a set-up. In this case 49 state governors (South Dakota being the shining exception) and the leaders of most of the civilized nations of the world (Sweden, surprising, being the shining exception) were led, sheep-like, into the same trap. Some of it may have been ideological. Occum's Razor, however, suggests that "Pandemic 101" comes from a Monday Morning Quarterback's analysis of the Spanish Flu of 1918. The ideological element came later, to "piggyback" on to the existing panic and turmoil to support their agendas. Some of the left, especially Bill De Blasio and Andrew Cuomo even hung back a bit, recognizing that school closures would inflict more damage on their minority group's constituencies.

Returning to the Dallas hair-dresser, she's not a bad poster child for illustrating that this has been taken way too far. Someone such as myself cannot volunteer for this role since I am subject to the jurisdiction of a relatively unaccountable professional review system to which the courts defer. But her obviously prepared speech to the judge won't have any serious consequences for her, and could well galvanize the nation. Similar to the way farm tractors on the Washington Mall did for Farm Aid back in, I believe, 1985.
You are correct about events being staged for political purposes. You can add Roe v. Wade, and the Montgomery bus boycott to that list. Did you ever wonder how they happened to have a picture of Rosa Parks on the bus and getting finger printed? So yes, this was another obviously staged protest.

Do your really think 49 states and virtually every country in the world "were led, sheep-like, into the same trap." When did virtually every country in the world ever agree to approach a problem in the same way? The Dallas hair-dresser is a bad poster child for this movement. We need to do what makes sense as a country. This doesn't mean that every city, county, and state should be doing the same thing. In my town a dry cleaner got a waiver to stay open. Most hair-dressers and barbers want to be cautious and are not in a hurry to go back to work too soon. They realize they are too close to too many people and aren't willing to risk their health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The stay-at-home order that was issued and was legally binding under the authority of the order. That is a law while in effect. If one believes it is wrong, one can argue the merits of that legitimately. I am not arguing that it is correct or incorrect one way or another, simply that we don't get to ignore laws because we don't like them.

If one believes in the rule of law, we don't get to apply and enforce the law in a hodgepodge way and that law must be applied and enforced equally across the board.
Exactly! I like to drive fast, especially if I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. Does that mean I can stage a social protest that my rights are being infringed if I get pulled over by the police?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
She got “caught” because she went to the media days before she opened and told them of her intent to open, day and time.
Yes, it was obviously planned and stage with notifications sent to all the media. She wanted to go to jail and will have it well documented with photos.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:57 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
You’re ascribing an awful lot of qualities to a vast amount of strangers here. Some might actually call that absurd.
So says says the poster who considers him/herself supportive of "law and order" and also supportive of selective lawbreaking when subjectively convenient.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:59 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
How can one argue the merits when all discussion was shut down?
I was referring to Pilot and our discussion here. We can discuss a) whether we think it is a good law and why it should be overturned or removed and b) whether it is constitutional and why or why not.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:06 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
So says says the poster who considers him/herself supportive of "law and order" and also supportive of selective lawbreaking when subjectively convenient.
I don’t believe I have ever once, in my 12+ years here at City Data, stated that I’m a “law and order” woman. YOU gave me that title. Considering you don’t even know my name, I find it to be a sad symptom of stunted intellect that you make such grandiose statements about total strangers.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:08 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you deny that she is well off and not struggling to feed her children as she stated?
Who knows? I am sure it is a struggle to lose income and have no help. She applied for a PPP loan and didn't receive it until this past Sunday (at least according to another poster here who I am going to just assume has that correct). Are you saying people who have nice houses and go on cruises and stuff can't suffer from a complete loss of revenue from arbitrary orders from the government?

Old 05-07-2020, 08:22 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Most hair-dressers and barbers want to be cautious and are not in a hurry to go back to work too soon. They realize they are too close to too many people and aren't willing to risk their health.
Precisely what freedom is about. A barber or hair-dresser can decide to remain closed, or to take people's temperatures when they come. A customer is not dragooned into coming. I think the risks are well-known by now.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:27 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Precisely what freedom is about. A barber or hair-dresser can decide to remain closed, or to take people's temperatures when they come. A customer is not dragooned into coming. I think the risks are well-known by now.
You're leaving out half of what freedom is. Freedom also means that people are protected from other people with communicable disease. This is what public health is. There are too many people who do not understand that asymptomatic people are spreading this virus.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:31 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Freedom also means that people are protected from other people with communicable disease. This is what public health is. There are too many people who do not understand that asymptomatic people are spreading this virus.
I must have missed that day in Civics when the class was taught that freedom means being free of diseases.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:39 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Shouldn't a fine be sufficient for this sort of offense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies