Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 12:44 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
He jailed her (refusing to commute her sentence) BECAUSE she refused to apologize and "admit she was selfish". Since when is that a crime?
Since always. Refusing to admit guilt/show remorse is always taken into account. It's a big deal for those wrongfully convicted. To be put in the position of a longer sentence for refusing to show remorse for something they didn't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
She was jailed for contempt of court and guess what? Judges have wide latitude as to what constitutes contempt.

Those “kids” she needs to feed so badly? One is an adult, and the other is from two husbands ago - why isn’t the child’s father or stepfather helping “feed” her?

This woman is stinking rich, they have an estate with exotic animals and got back from a cruise before this all hit.

She doesn’t work at all - she owns a salon and stylists work for her.

Of her 19 stylists only 2 wanted to come back and work - the others weren’t interested in breaking the law and jeopardizing safety.
She went to the media days before she opened to tell them she was opening. It’s all a huge stunt to rake in the donation dollars.

If she weren’t white and blond everyone would be calling for her head.
Do you have a link for that? I've been wondering if her stylists were getting unemployment and would rather not have gone back to work.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Very hard to have sympathy for her with that attitude, plenty of people are hurting should they all ignore the restrictions or just her. She was at this for weeks in violation and ignored the laws, and here I thought you were a law abiding citizen.
To be fair, the people supporting her support the right to work and she is not personally sympathetic to me, she is lying about feeding hungry children and I suspect her stylists are collecting unemployment and not going hungry either as she stated. She made it seem like she was rescuing a bunch of people from starvation, and I don't like liars.

However, there are people going hungry over this and the government dicked around with getting money out, allowed the PPP to get raided by big corporations, and I do have sympathy for (as an example) the Barber in another state that said we have no stimulus (haven't gotten it yet) no loan, no unemployment. HE really has to open to feed his family and if walmart can be open, then it isn't right to kill off all the small businesses. I hope he doesn't get arrested.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Because people don't have to have their hair cut, colored, permed, or whatever they do. I go to a beauty salon to have my hair cut. My last haircut was March 2. I'm surviving, it is not an essential service.

The Barber in another state who is defying the order said (and I agree with him) that his business is essential to feed his family.

It is insane to expect people to just sit and do nothing, unable to pay bills, buy food, etc. Especially when they look around and everyone's going into walmart, home depot, etc. and so forth.

I'd feel far safer from the virus in his shop where the barbers are now 6' apart, everyone who enters is given a mask if they lack one, and he had it professionally disinfected. All the places that are allowed to be open are far riskier. Far more people, closer to you, less contained than a grocery store or Home Depot.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:03 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
This judge is a real piece of work. In addition to her jailing he’s demanding that she apologize.

Is this America in 2020?!

It is fascism coming from the Left.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:31 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
If Governor Abbott doesn't think she should be in jail for violating his executive order, then he should pardon her.
I do think it makes sense for the Governor to pardon her in theory. But I think it would be standard operating procedure for the Governor to do a background check on her first to determine that she does not have some dark skeleton in her closet (former member of the Klan, etc..). From a practical standpoint it may jsut not be possible to complete such a check prior to her serving her 7 day sentence.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:00 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
It is fascism coming from the Left.
Actually its communism at its core !!!
Judge says she failed to put the collective/community first and was selfish meaning she put the individual first !!! Communism doesn't allow for individual rights !!! The highest right belongs to and revolves around the collective !!! The judge is a known democrat activist but could easily be a leader in the Chinese Communist Party !!!
On your knees and kiss the ring he says and I will exercise my God like power !!!

Last edited by phma; 05-07-2020 at 05:11 AM..

Old 05-07-2020, 05:22 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Actually its communism at its core !!!
Judge says she failed to put the collective/community first and was selfish meaning she put the individual first !!! Communism doesn't allow for individual rights !!! The highest right belongs to and revolves around the collective !!! The judge is a known democrat activist but could easily be a leader in the Chinese Communist Party !!!
On your knees and kiss the ring he says and I will exercise my God like power !!!
^^^^This. And look who this Far Left Activist JERK is friends with.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:24 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Amen, brother! If this money actually goes to her, she'll be okay and should be! https://www.gofundme.com/f/shelley-luther-fund

No doubt she'll share the proceeds with her staff. She cares more about them and their families than all the comfortable, virtue signalling wooses.
Some see this is being a "set up." I see this a bit more charitably, and side with the hair dresser.

There is much belief that Martin Luther King's and Mahatma Gandhi's jailings were similarly "staged." The arrest of the birth-control using couple that sparked the Connecticut v. Griswold decision was definitely a set-up. In this case 49 state governors (South Dakota being the shining exception) and the leaders of most of the civilized nations of the world (Sweden, surprising, being the shining exception) were led, sheep-like, into the same trap. Some of it may have been ideological. Occum's Razor, however, suggests that "Pandemic 101" comes from a Monday Morning Quarterback's analysis of the Spanish Flu of 1918. The ideological element came later, to "piggyback" on to the existing panic and turmoil to support their agendas. Some of the left, especially Bill De Blasio and Andrew Cuomo even hung back a bit, recognizing that school closures would inflict more damage on their minority group's constituencies.

Returning to the Dallas hair-dresser, she's not a bad poster child for illustrating that this has been taken way too far. Someone such as myself cannot volunteer for this role since I am subject to the jurisdiction of a relatively unaccountable professional review system to which the courts defer. But her obviously prepared speech to the judge won't have any serious consequences for her, and could well galvanize the nation. Similar to the way farm tractors on the Washington Mall did for Farm Aid back in, I believe, 1985.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:32 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Seems like a defeat for the rule of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies