Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 09:20 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,699,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He went into fight mode after he had already tried flight. Under GA stand your ground law, he had no legal requirement to try to get away from men who were chasing him and set up a road block and was standing in the road with a shotgun while their buddy Roddy herded him from the back. He was well within his right to try to defend himself from their assault.
Is there any evidence at all to support that claim? If so, please quote it.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
When did they let him pass them?

Travis went to the front of the truck where you say he passed which he really didnt.

Are you talking about somewhere else during this chase?
Actually, he really did. It would have been impossible for him to make that hard left and cross in front of the truck if he hadn’t passed the truck.

I’m curious. Your statement that he really didn’t pass the truck is demonstrably false. Making that statement doesn’t do anything to bolster your argument. Why would you say it?

Old 05-16-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
They did do something.

Travis got out of the truck with his gun to confront him.

When Arbery saw that he ran up the right side of the truck trying to dodge Travis.

Travis moved to the front of the truck.

At that point in my opinion Arbery decided he could not run/flee his way out of their road block without them shooting at him. He chose to try to fight his way out instead.

Arbery did not believe they were going to let him pass. I dont think they were either. They may not have shot him, but I am 100% sure they would have at least gotten back in their truck and continue to chase him.
The highlights above are either your own spin, or are things that are either unknown, or can’t be known. Posting those things damages your credibility.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe on a prior day, but not on the day they decided to chase him.
Do you believe that you know all of the facts of the case, and not just those that have been reported?

Old 05-16-2020, 09:38 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,452,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Is that what you're trying to do?

Not complicated but also not too great of a strategy. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
No unlike you I am putting myself in Arbery's position and imagining what a rational person would think.

I have never in my life been confronted by people setting up their own private road block in an upper middle class neighborhood where one idiot jumps out of a pick up truck and confronts me with a shotgun and the other is towering over me from the bed of the pickup truck with a 357 magnum.

And, I am quite sure I never will be.

As a white woman, I would be screaming my head off for help probably.

As a young black man, my options are far more limited.

Anyone who thinks this was a normal scenario for Arbery to deal with is simply nuts imo.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
We must have been typing at the same time because that is essentially what I said.

But, to me that is still not allowing him to pass as in go freely on his way.

Besides, it doesnt matter what you or I think. Its what a reasonable person would think. IMO the totality of the circumstances would cause most reasonable people to think these guys were crazy and who the heck knew what they were going to do.

You seem to think you can just follow a pedestrian or jogger in a vehicle for some unlimited amount of time and not be involved in a crime yourself.

Why dont you go try that and let us know how it works out for you. The police will be called and you will be told to stop harassing them.
What law in GA covers harassment, and what elements of that law would be met by simply following someone?

Old 05-16-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
If you support the Constitution you probably also support our legal system, which provides for a trial before a jury and not some snap judgment by an Internet forum poster who has only seen a 30s video of the incident.
They will be getting a trial by jury. Nothing anyone here says will change that. Why in the world would you think it would.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree that the political pressure is ENORMOUS. If this were an unknown incident, the grand jury wouldn't fear for their lives nor would the new prosecutor.
What makes you say that the grand jury and the new prosecutor fear for their lives.

Do you have a link to something that says they do?

Old 05-16-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Other than the DA bringing up citizens arrest, have the McMichaels said anything about it?

Give that they never affected a citizens arrest, it would seem very strange to assert that that is what they in fact did.
To my knowledge the McMichaels have not really said anything yet other than what they told the responding police officers which kinda/sorta and was interpreted by the 2nd DA as a citizens arrest.

What their final defense in court will be is unknown at this point.

Cant imagine what it will be other than the citizens arrest.

What do you think it will be?

Last edited by Blondy; 05-16-2020 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-16-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Looks like Glynn County is going to be paying a huge settlement to Arbery's family.

Local police apparently encouraged McMichaels to be on the lookout for trouble at the house under construction.

What a mess.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...Zk5edjvXrE6sN/
We can see that Greg offered assistance. Where are you seeing that he was encouraged by the police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies