Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 10:38 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Be careful about making enemies when you have much more to lose.
So just allow illegal collection of UE because someone might commit a crime against you? Are you advocating extortion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 10:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I said "odd" because the system doesn't usually work the way it seems to be working for your wife, at least not under normal demand loads. You didn't answer the question as to whether she is formally requesting payment for every claim period.
Yes, she is taking all the requires steps.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:42 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am not sure, as I am teleworking, and very employed. But to others, who I help- like one granddaughter

Florida DEO says unemployed do need to claim weeks despite governor’s statement
Gov. DeSantis offers conflicting information to Florida’s unemployed on claiming weeks, payments

According to the DEO, beginning this week, people must log into the Florida unemployment website CONNECT to claim their weeks. Claimants have until May 17 to claim the current week which began Sunday after that they will need to sign into CONNECT every two weeks to claim their payments.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...eeks-payments/

That is the normal procedure. Even if the requirement is waived, it is best for a claimant to still follow the normal procedure because that is how the system is set up and it will reduce the chances of something getting hung up. Same for work search requirements. I'd recommend claimants conduct work searches even if the state says work search requirements are waived.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have to admit drawing the minimum $820 a week unemployment as an Independent Contractor is pretty nice. I can draw this through July and only if I close on a home it delays that weeks check.

Restaurants, salons, etc cannot find workers willing to come back to work now because they can earn easily 2 times what they made prior to the shutdown due to the original CARES Act. Much of that money will be paid through Dec 31.

There is also a good chance they will extend these benefits with the next Bill.

Not a bad deal.

https://twitter.com/DavidCaltabiano/...34307914944512

I said before the Federal govt. should initiate a program like they had during the Depression when they put millions of unemployed to work building infrastructure. Back then we had gumption and a great President. Today we have.....ugh! Trump!

Old 05-18-2020, 10:46 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So just allow illegal collection of UE because someone might commit a crime against you? Are you advocating extortion?

I didn't say anything about crime. Reputation is a business' most important asset and the community might not look kindly on a business owner forcing one employee to work at an elevated risk for $500 while another employee stays home safe for $800.

In addition, there are a half dozen or so exceptions where the employee does not have to return to work. For example, they have CV or have been recently exposed to someone with CV or they are a vulnerable demographic or are caring for someone in a vulnerable demographic.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:49 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about crime. Reputation is a business' most important asset and the community might not look kindly on a business owner forcing one employee to work at an elevated risk for $500 while another employee stays home safe for $800.
Ok. Your initial post was very vague and wide open for interpretation.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Same goes for every damn Democrat. Except how would it look if Rs held up the entire bill for this reason? It tells me more that Ds wouldn't vote for a simple amendment to avoid this situation in the first place.
If you had pushed them to the limit they would have.

Most Americans understand you should not pay people more to not work than work.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:54 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
You guys all crying about the economy going down should be begging for an extension on that $600 dollars. That extra buying power is keeping that unemployment number from going up. There are 1000's of truck drivers, grocery store workers, and other employers holding on to their workers because of the extra money flowing in the economy.

Once that extra $600 a week is gone be prepared for the economy to go further into the hole. We are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't. I support trying to assist given how sudden this recession came on.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:01 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have to admit drawing the minimum $820 a week unemployment as an Independent Contractor is pretty nice. I can draw this through July and only if I close on a home it delays that weeks check.

Restaurants, salons, etc cannot find workers willing to come back to work now because they can earn easily 2 times what they made prior to the shutdown due to the original CARES Act. Much of that money will be paid through Dec 31.

There is also a good chance they will extend these benefits with the next Bill.

Not a bad deal.

https://twitter.com/DavidCaltabiano/...34307914944512
Actually, if they take them off furlough, the employees are no longer eligible for unemployment, they either have to work or get nothing.

If they fired their workers, well, that is the employer's fault for taking that action versus furloughing.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:01 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Have you not met social media? All it takes is one video, or one statement, and these nut jobs go berserk. They will trash the name of the business, they will doxx the owner, they will put it all out there for everyone to see - all of that owner's personal/private information. They will destroy their Yelp! page. They will attack that person until they lose a lot, financially, if not completely destroy them for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies