Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 12:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
If masks work, why are we staying 6 feet away?
The state I am in right now is saying masks are required in situations where a 6 foot distance cannot be maintained. So you stay 6 feet away, and if you can't you wear a mask.

I do see people wearing masks when they are walking alone in a brisk wind, though and I don't get it.

Quote:
If masks work, why did we ever shut down?
If you think 'masks work' means that masks definitely cut the possibility of transmission of the virus 100%, you might have a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Right leaning Libertarian here. Yes I wear a mask.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:00 PM

38 posts, read 13,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Exactly. Plus, a member posted on this thread that me not wearing a mask is causing them to be in danger for getting coronavirus, yet this same member states that they wear the mask and possibly the other doomsday prop ensemble for protection. If their doomsday props that they are wearing actually work, they then shouldn't have to worry about catching coronavirus from me for not engaging in donning doomsday props.
I wore masks before, but now after reading a lot of scientific literature and learning that this virus is really flu-like in terms of risk it poses, I'm starting to doubt the need for masks.

They seem to only harm immune system, potentially, especially immunity in mucous membranes, since the normal function of these membranes and overall immune system to constantly fight various viruses, bacteria and other pathogens, I don't want to live in sterile environment where I lose my immunity and then really die from something innocent like flu, because of that.
Anyway, WHO consistently did not recommend masks for general public, unless they care for the ill, in close contact with them.. There's a reason for this.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:30 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Educated.

Will not enter a store unless the staff are kicking people without masks out. No exceptions, aside from children under 2.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:40 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
I disagree. People that don't pay taxes have no say.

I pay super-high taxes.
So are you then to get extra special treatment?

Old 05-22-2020, 03:03 PM

3,649 posts, read 1,604,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destination_east89 View Post
I wore masks before, but now after reading a lot of scientific literature and learning that this virus is really flu-like in terms of risk it poses, I'm starting to doubt the need for masks.

They seem to only harm immune system, potentially, especially immunity in mucous membranes, since the normal function of these membranes and overall immune system to constantly fight various viruses, bacteria and other pathogens, I don't want to live in sterile environment where I lose my immunity and then really die from something innocent like flu, because of that.
Anyway, WHO consistently did not recommend masks for general public, unless they care for the ill, in close contact with them.. There's a reason for this.

The problem is that with this very contagious virus the ill are walking around not even knowing they are ill. They spread the virus not knowing they are ill. A mask dramatically reduces the distance airborne particles fly out their mouths.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:01 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't know anyone personally who has HIV, none of my family or friends... doesn't make it any less of a deadly virus and doesn't make condoms any less important particularly for casual sex.

Weird that I posted this last night because today I found out one of my (new) coworkers is HIV positive. You know... more reason to care about people wearing masks as he's VERY high risk.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destination_east89 View Post

The flu is not "innocent" to begin with. When my fiance went through basic training, there was a bad flu going around which killed about 2 or 3 soldiers. I vividly remember him mentioning this to me in one of the first letters I got from him, and he was telling me he was feeling pretty sick. Luckily, it was "just" a bacterial infection that was treated and not the flu, but yes, I was worried for him. The "flu" killed a few YOUNG, STRONG males training to be ARMY SOLDIERS. The flu is not to be underestimated in and of itself. I had a flu when I was 14 that was so bad I literally felt I was going to die. I am so sick of people underestimating the flu.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:34 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Exactly. Plus, a member posted on this thread that me not wearing a mask is causing them to be in danger for getting coronavirus, yet this same member states that they wear the mask and possibly the other doomsday prop ensemble for protection. If their doomsday props that they are wearing actually work, they then shouldn't have to worry about catching coronavirus from me for not engaging in donning doomsday props.
18,569,00 times it has been said - masks are not for protection- but to keep your own snot and driblets to your self. My wearing a mask protects you (plural) and that must make you’all happy ! Long as you are good - all is well. The me, myself and I!

Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Wrong! People who don't vote are not contributors to the problem. They have every right to complain about the ignorant garbage that want elected to be tyrants over others.
Seriously, if you don't vote then you have no say. If you want to complain then do something about it....get out and vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies