Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:19 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times

Advertisements

I am friends with 2 married to each other gay dudes.
Their primary desire is to be married to each other to live out their lives as 2 married to each other dudes AND NOT BE BOTHERED.
Putting a hetero wedding picture in the background would not rate in their concerns in their top 1000 things they care about.
#1 would be each other
#2 would be their dog
#3 is their birth families
#4 is... I dunno but it isnt whether your selfies have a hetero wedding picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 09:27 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
It's just research, people. Untwist the knickers.

Actually, it's not even true research. It's the opinion of two college professors based on observation and past experience. They did no actual research on the topic.

Just as it's the opinion of the author of the article linked in the OP that the topic of unconscious bias in Zoom meetings is a "trivial, unfounded issue".

But ... if we want to discuss the actual opinions of the two college professors:

Some of their points are valid; some are not. Icebreakers such as this

Quote:
“In a recent videoconference, we were asked the ‘most fun thing you’ve done with your family during quarantine.’ Participant answers ranged from ‘gardening with my husband’ to ‘dance parties with my family,’” Viveiros said.
exclude people who are not with their families during the pandemic. The most fun thing I've done with my family during quarantine? Talk on the phone. Woo-hoo. While it's not the end of the world that people without families are excluded from the conversation, a different question that included everyone would have been a better choice.

The professors are giving some good advice. It's a shame the author of the linked article had to stoop to hyperbole and eighth-grade insults instead of actually trying to understand what was being said. Here's a link to the article from the MSU news:

https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2020/t...-can-avoid-it/

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 05-22-2020 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 09:29 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Research" is used and quoted every day to attempt to change minds and policy. It often succeeds with help from advocates screaming at the top of their lungs.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:31 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
What if a conservative had said he/she was bothered by a picture in the background of two Gay dudes kissing at their wedding day? Still no bid deal?

Untwist the knickers? How about a mixed race couple? Still no biggie?

Old 05-22-2020, 09:36 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times
Quote:
Actually it's not 'research', it's just their stated opinions.

And while a certain amount of ridicule is to be expected, the 'knicker twisting' isn't completely unwarranted given that the environments that they are expressing these opinions in are known for taking such opinions and extending them into policy.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:39 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
What a waste of money.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:39 AM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:

So dismissive of "science".

SO... Sometimes science is really messed up!

A person's own pictures of their own life behind them are snapshots of that person's own life and story they want to share, the things that are important to them. We can look at what people have behind them to tell a bit about who they are. What's messed up about this "study" is the perspective that what someone has in their house is somehow indicative of telegraphing what everyone else should do. I have photos behind me right now of my first solo flight in an airplane, and a bunch of pictures of our pets, past and present. Down the hall there is a picture from my wedding. Is that insensitive to people who are afraid to fly or have allergies to pet dander? Or does it just show a bit about who I am and things I've done?

We need to look at people as individuals, and it's OK for individuals to share their own stories. It doesn't invalidate anyone else's story.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-22-2020 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 09:45 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
As I stated above, this is the opinion of two college professors; nevermind that social science is a whole 'nother animal.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 AM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
As I stated above, this is the opinion of two college professors; nevermind that social science is a whole 'nother animal.

It's very good to remember how flawed any process that involves human beings can be.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

SO... Sometimes science is really messed up!

A person's own pictures of their own life behind them are snapshots of that person's own life and story they want to share, the things that are important to them. We can look at what people have behind them to tell a bit about who they are. What's messed up about this "study" is the perspective that what someone has in their house is somehow indicative of telegraphing what everyone else should do. I have photos behind me right now of my first solo flight in an airplane, and a bunch of pictures of our pets, past and present. Is that insensitive to people who are afraid to fly or have allergies to pet dander? Or does it just show a bit about who I am and things I've done?

We need to look at people as individuals, and it's OK for individuals to share their own stories. It doesn't invalidate anyone else's story.
I am not disagreeing with you in any way and your pictures represent who you are. I just remembered that if you were choosing to sell your home odds are that the realtor would recommend those same pictures be removed and the homes aesthetic be neutral because buyers may be affected, and people do it and its for similar reasons to this campus article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies