Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I am friends with 2 married to each other gay dudes.
Their primary desire is to be married to each other to live out their lives as 2 married to each other dudes AND NOT BE BOTHERED.
Putting a hetero wedding picture in the background would not rate in their concerns in their top 1000 things they care about.
#1 would be each other
#2 would be their dog
#3 is their birth families
#4 is... I dunno but it isnt whether your selfies have a hetero wedding picture.

I tell you something else. I am a deeply devout Christian and a political conservative.

if i were on a work conference call with one of your friends, and there was a wedding picture behind them hanging on the wall, i would not be bothered at all. I would not consider it a micro aggression, or a macro aggression. it wouldn't rate.

most of the people i know feel the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 10:18 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
So dismissive of "science".

SO... Sometimes science is really messed up!

A person's own pictures of their own life behind them are snapshots of that person's own life and story they want to share, the things that are important to them. We can look at what people have behind them to tell a bit about who they are. What's messed up about this "study" is the perspective that what someone has in their house is somehow indicative of telegraphing what everyone else should do. I have photos behind me right now of my first solo flight in an airplane, and a bunch of pictures of our pets, past and present. Down the hall there is a picture from my wedding. Is that insensitive to people who are afraid to fly or have allergies to pet dander? Or does it just show a bit about who I am and things I've done?

We need to look at people as individuals, and it's OK for individuals to share their own stories. It doesn't invalidate anyone else's story.

To some people, anything that doesn't directly validate their story is seen as an attempt to invalidate their story. This is what comes from the desperate need for external validation.

Go figure.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:20 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am not disagreeing with you in any way and your pictures represent who you are. I just remembered that if you were choosing to sell your home odds are that the realtor would recommend those same pictures be removed and the homes aesthetic be neutral because buyers may be affected, and people do it and its for similar reasons to this campus article.
This is a terrible analogy since a home seller is attempting to allow the buyer to "see" themselves in the home. Someone on a zoom call is in their own home or office which represents THEM, not the person viewing them. People need to stop projecting their issues or using their perceptions to dictate to someone else.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:30 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
I am not disagreeing with you in any way and your pictures represent who you are. I just remembered that if you were choosing to sell your home odds are that the realtor would recommend those same pictures be removed and the homes aesthetic be neutral because buyers may be affected, and people do it and its for similar reasons to this campus article.

Yeah - You're right that some Realtors do that... I've never been one.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:21 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
What if during the zoom chat. People see two LGBT married couple in a picture of a foreground. Will that be problematic? Yes or no? And I'm not saying that I'm anti LGBT. I'm actually for gay rights, just playing devils advocate here.

Last edited by Checkmarkblue; 05-22-2020 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,895 times
It's sick out there, and it's getting sicker. These people need professional help.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
What if during the zoom chat. People see two LGBT married couple in a picture of a foreground. Will that be problematic? Yes or no? And I'm not saying that I'm anti LGBT. I'm actually for gay rights, just playing devils advocate here.
The question should be would your personal life if reflected be taken as a negative by someone if it was seen during a business meeting?

I don't care who you've chosen to commit to that's an individuals choice. But as so many posters on these boards have reflected, commented on and rallied against alternate lifestyles would seeing that during a meeting affect their choices, I believe it just might.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:01 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
This is a terrible analogy since a home seller is attempting to allow the buyer to "see" themselves in the home. Someone on a zoom call is in their own home or office which represents THEM, not the person viewing them. People need to stop projecting their issues or using their perceptions to dictate to someone else.
You are right on the home seller example but when you conduct a business call doesn't the impression the other party gets mean the same thing? You can be representing yourself and that fine but if the recipient doesn't take it the same way they may look elsewhere. Simple example might be overt or excessive faith symbols and based on the usual negative comments on these boards same gender wedding pictures.

No one dictating you do anything this is just another concept of modern business and there are those who think its relevant.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:14 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Well, I'm a straight, conservative white guy so I'm used to be called racist, bigot, sexist, homophobic, fill in the blank _____________ by the liberal think tank. Just one more jab in the ribs with this story. Ho hum, looking forward to the next jab. It will come, only a matter of time. Predictable behavior. It got boring a long time ago and now these stories are almost comical.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:19 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
I think drinking from a Starbuck branded cup is a micro aggression. Its says to people who either don't have the money or the will to drink over priced over roasted coffee, that you aren't good enough.

its very condescending behavior. and far more damaging to far more people than a picture of a married couple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies