Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 09:50 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I do agree, that the black community has been routinely lied to. I get it. I'm not sure I would believe the autopsy findings if I were you. But I DO believe them, because I'm not you.

On the other hand, I did see a high school wrestling coach post videos of taking a knee on a neck, and that's a totally legal high school wrestling move. Doesn't cause damage.

I DON'T know where we go from here. How we move forward.
I'm sure the HS coach didn't put his body weight and or handcuffed whoever you saw. Not only have black people been lied to but so has the general public. I wouldn't call the Tuskegee experiments fragments of my imagination. Nor is the murder of Floyd. Many people are outraged not just me this resulted in the murder charge we shall see what happens. This officer has had several complaints against this man and the officer were co-workers for years so this tells me that there is more to what happened that meets the eye.

Many things need to change with the USA many things. There needs to be reform with the police and their unions. The educational system needs to be changed, I can go on and on. But most importantly the injustices faced by the African American communities need to be rectified. There needs to be real news media outlets. If these killings keep happening the response will be similar.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Rioters are blocking freeways in one city. I’m not sure which one as there was no audio or tag on the live feed. It might have been LA
It is LA

Old 05-29-2020, 09:55 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Let us not forget that this isn't just about "one incident".

https://wfpl.org/protesters-gather-i...xc1408v4NYmKyE

Old 05-29-2020, 09:55 PM

They are saying that the officer and Floyd had worked together for 17 years. I wonder what prompted the murder? It has to be over money and or evidence?

Old 05-29-2020, 09:59 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...mbined-health/

This is a big reason why I often caution people to wait for the evidence to come out before coming to certain conclusions as a matter of fact and law.

Now, the officers still behaved inappropriately and I believe that the knee to the neck was STILL excessive and warrants some kind of charge. But, in light of these findings (and understanding that the Floyd family is requesting a private autopsy), I now see no realistic way that the ex-cop gets convicted of murder.

The standard for convicting police officers who cause death or injury while acting in their official capacities is already challenging. But I was hopeful that, if the evidence showed that the clearly excessive knee to neck hold literally caused Floyd to be choked to death (there was already skepticism based on that by the fact that Floyd was able to state repeatedly that he couldn't breathe, which shows that he was able to breathe . . . people get on the MS mayor for making a similar point--and I've said that just because something is factual doesn't mean that it should be uttered) then there would be a clear cut case of unlawful homicide even with the cop's status (and, to be clear, I want all of the cops on the scene charged with something).

If I was the now ex-officer, I may not even request a jury trial.
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

I have always been a supporter of the men and woman in blue under many different circumstances.
I will not ...............I repeat..................will not justify this act in any light.
This was an outrageous act by a human lacking in compassion on another helpless human.

The man may have had many nails in his coffin. Does not matter. This police officer drove the last one in with all his might.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:11 PM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
There are limits and people reach their limits. You think anarchy makes sense? The sword of anarchy in the face of an unjust act is blunt and not polite.
I know that and you know that. The persons involved in the rioting aren't thinking about that and don't care. Too angry to care. You are dealing with individuals who look at violence as the only answer.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:16 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
How many times has the government or their workers lied to the people? I'll wait for an independent autopsy. I don't believe for one second that the knee and the weight of a grown man didn't kill this man. Floyd was detained peacefully but choked! It is clear as day. Knees to the neck is not detaining anyone
I don’t either. George Floyd may have had underlying conditions, but we all know he would be alive today were it not for that cop snuffing the life out of him.

A very similar thing happened in the Houston area a few years ago. An off-duty Harris County Sheriff’s deputy and her husband were at a Denny’s restaurant when the husband took offense to a drunk guy who was urinating outside near the restaurant. They had a confrontation and the cop’s husband took the guy down in some kind of chokehold and sat on that guy for several minutes until his life was extinguished. People were yelling at him to get off and he was killing the guy, and the guy ignored everyone and just sat on him. It was disgusting.

I watched some of the video, but not the entire thing. It was like a snuff film, horrific. The jury convicted him but I don’t recall how long or what the sentence was. It was the maximum for the charge and the guy is in prison unless some idiot let him out for the coronavirus (a distinct possibility).

That cop in Minnesota had twelve other violations or at least allegations of police brutality. He needs to go to prison.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know that and you know that. The persons involved in the rioting aren't thinking about that and don't care. Too angry to care. You are dealing with individuals who look at violence as the only answer.
Weren't the officers violent?

Old 05-29-2020, 10:27 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
They are saying that the officer and Floyd had worked together for 17 years. I wonder what prompted the murder? It has to be over money and or evidence?
I don’t think George Floyd lived in Minnesota for that long. I read in our local paper that he moved there around 2014 or 2015. He’s from my hometown, Houston.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don’t either. George Floyd may have had underlying conditions, but we all know he would be alive today were it not for that cop snuffing the life out of him.

A very similar thing happened in the Houston area a few years ago. An off-duty Harris County Sheriff’s deputy and her husband were at a Denny’s restaurant when the husband took offense to a drunk guy who was urinating outside near the restaurant. They had a confrontation and the cop’s husband took the guy down in some kind of chokehold and sat on that guy for several minutes until his life was extinguished. People were yelling at him to get off and he was killing the guy, and the guy ignored everyone and just sat on him. It was disgusting.

I watched some of the video, but not the entire thing. It was like a snuff film, horrific. The jury convicted him but I don’t recall how long or what the sentence was. It was the maximum for the charge and the guy is in prison unless some idiot let him out for the coronavirus (a distinct possibility).

That cop in Minnesota had twelve other violations or at least allegations of police brutality. He needs to go to prison.
Agreed, I can't keep watching these type of videos. Murder/death it is all sad. The person that recorded Floyd's murder was 17 years old and no way to live for that child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies