Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 09:15 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The mayor already came out and said that what that officer did was NOT authorized for MPD to use.

No "legal" anything about what he did.
NOT authorized does not mean ILLEGAL. I had to point this out to folks during the Eric Garner cop case. The hold that the police officer put Garner in was clearly banned by NYPD policy. But NYPD policy is not law. So while MPD (or the NYPD) would be justified in firing any police officer that violates their operating rules and policies, that is not the same as violating the law.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Well, that’s convenient. Nobody cares. The guy is dead because of the idiot officer’s actions. He’s holding a knee to his neck for 3 minutes after he passes out? He’s a criminal. Charge him
come back to me when you're willing to engage in the thread topic.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:16 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Photos shows cop with gas mask and covered up except for his eyes who was identified by his ex-wife as one of the men torching businesses. Evidently he was moonlighting as a domestic terrorist for George Soros' Open Society
The media will have you thinking it was a black person doing this. I wish more attention would be brought to light about this. Especially as it pertains to the woman who appears in a wheelchair who is not handicapped who lied about being robbed. She was stabbing people in the wheelchair.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:17 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I honestly think there will be pressure for a conviction so more riots don't happen.

I think you are right that most adult men can withstand that knee there, but Floyd couldn't and the knee there didn't seem to be necessary as he didn't appear to be resisting, was hand cuffed on the ground and outnumbered by many cops there.

I don't see how the cop can walk.
He was freaking out as the cop led him to the car. Then the media edits out about ten seconds and it cuts to him being on the ground.

You don't need to be a Rhodes Scholar to know what happened in that ten seconds and why the left wing media edited it.

They should held liable for some of this mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So the cop kneeling his body weight on him for nine minutes had nothing to do with it? Fascinating. Conservative logic!
I see another lefty who can't read and has a problem comprehending what is before them

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Like I said very early, likely a heart attack caused by the situation. I think that takes murder out because it’s harder to tie in intent and recklessness. Maybe a manslaughter conviction will still hold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Yeah, thus the manslaughter charge. Like I said ages ago: a guy with a weakened heart, a cardiovascular condition, hypertension, drug user, already compromised as he said he was having difficulty breathing before they put him down on the ground, then exacerbated the medical crisis by keeping his thorax compressed (the two other cops who were leaning on him) all were factors.

So really all three are equally liable. He was likely already experiencing a cardiac/respiratory event when he collapsed while they were taking him to the car; they ignored this and pinned him down instead. In any case he wasn't ever resisting; he was in a medical crisis they were too jaded to address.
I really don’t think you guys get it. You take the victim as you find them. But for the officer’s actions, Floyd would not have died. The harm within the risk of excessive physical force is that someone with underlying conditions could die. That’s actual and proximate cause right there, and it is beyond reproach. It actually doesn’t matter that he didn’t die from asphyxiation. At all. He died as a result of Chauvin’s actions. You really think he was gonna die that day otherwise? Do you think it’s even remotely reasonable to assume that?

Minnesota’s third degree murder is the depraved heart murder version. Basically the prosecution needs to show that Chauvin had a depraved indifference to human life. NOT that he had specific intent to kill Floyd. It’s more like reckless endangerment. A lower standard, and probably gonna be easy to prove in this case, particularly given the way his history reflects on his character.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder

Depraved heart, causation and death. All three elements are clearly present here as far as I’m concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Would Floyd have died that day had the officer NOT done what he did? I doubt it. This was murder.
Yup. That’s all that matters.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
He was freaking out as the cop led him to the car. Then the media edits out about ten seconds and it cuts to him being on the ground.

You don't need to be a Rhodes Scholar to know what happened in that ten seconds and why the left wing media edited it.

They should held liable for some of this mess.
If body cam footage exhonerated those cops you don't think we would have seen that tape already.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:20 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I really don’t think you guys get it. You take the victim as you find them. But for the officer’s actions, Floyd would not have died. The harm within the risk of excessive physical physical force is that someone with underlying conditions could die. That’s actual and proximate cause right there, and it is beyond reproach. It actually doesn’t matter that he didn’t die from asphyxiation. At all. He died as a result of Chauvin’s actions. You really think he was gonna die that day otherwise?

Minnesota’s third degree murder is the depraved heart murder version. Basically the prosecution needs to show that Chauvin had a depraved indifference to human life. NOT that he had specific intent to kill Floyd. It’s more like reckless endangerment. A lower standard, and probably gonna be easy to prove in this case.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder

Depraved heart, causation and death. All three elements are clearly present here as far as I’m concerned.
I still feel like they could get 2nd degree murder pretty easily though. Settling for murder 3 is BS IMO. I guess the main thing is ensuring a conviction, but why not try him for both 2 and 3? Give the jury the option of either.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:22 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If body cam footage exhonerated those cops you don't think we would have seen that tape already.
It would not exonerate them because of the knee incident.

You think your beloved lefty media edited the video for some ethical and honest reason? Look at how much money they're making from all this.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:23 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I see another lefty who can't read and has a problem comprehending what is before them
Look, he had underlying conditions that made him more vulnerable, but he died because a cop knelt on his neck for nine minutes, well after he was clearly incapacitated and no longer a threat. And you can't excuse it away. Comprehend that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies