Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 08:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
the difference between the Boston Tea Party and these thugs rioting is that the Boston Tea Party the ships looted were the ones they had the grievance with.

how many shop owners on Broadway in NYC killed George Floyd?

Yep..... Comparison would be, going to the cops house and burning it down.

All they did was, burn down and rob their next door neighbor, for what the guy across town did to them.
Irrational uneducated evil. It is the reason for the 2nd Amendment. Government has NO OBLIGATION to protect you, your liberty or your property. That is your job
Warren v. DC

Old 06-05-2020, 08:23 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Should Germany throw up a Hitler statue or two so Jewish people can have a great inspirational story to tell their kids too?
this is not comparable at any level, If you want to make a comparison compare a Lee statue to a Rommel statue .

not sure as a Jew how I would feel if there was a Rommel statue, he was an enemy of mine and would kill me in a second, but I understand that a statue of him would not have the meaning of supporting nazisim as much as those who died for Germany fighting for nazisim.

would obviously be against but not like Hitler in the slightest

Even if one would grant the insane notion that the confederate ideology was anything equivalent to Nazi Germany (A jew in Lithuania under Nazi Germany in August 1941 would have loved to be under the old south's most evil master) comparing Hitler to Jefferson Davis would be equivalent, comparing him to Robert E Lee is nuts.

PS even Rommel doesn't work because Lee survived the war and asked for a pardon (most prominent confederate would not want one if it was offered)

Old 06-05-2020, 08:24 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
The more they remove statues , the more people will fly the confederate flag........and unless they want a gun fight with rednecks..THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT..

Old 06-05-2020, 08:29 AM

73,017 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
The more they remove statues , the more people will fly the confederate flag........and unless they want a gun fight with rednecks..THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT..
Some people are willing to shoot and kill someone over flying a Confederate flag.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...168-story.html

Old 06-05-2020, 08:34 AM

124 posts, read 146,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
This is what they're going to replace confederate statues with:

This one is in Richmond, VA:

You gotta love the fact that liberals have absolutely no self-awareness.
The artist who made this statue probably thought he was super woke and making a political statement with this statue.

To me, this statue is nothing but a negative caricature of a young black guy, and only reinforces the negative stereotypes of black men. The guy in the statue is wearing nike shoes, because you know, ALL black guys wear nike shoes!

That new statue is an ugly monstrosity. Why would any city allow that to be put in a public place, are black people ok with this?

Old 06-05-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
According to the secession documents of (at least) one of the seceding states, the plantation owning elites were angry that slavery might not be allowed in the new western territories. They weren’t even content to keep slavery where it already existed. They wanted to expand it.

In Lincoln’s 1861 inaugural address, he said he had no intention of trying to abolish slavery where it already existed. Lincoln was more of a “free soil” person than an abolitionist. The mere limiting of the spread of slavery was unacceptable to the plantation-owning elites, apparently.

I don’t know why anyone would want to identify with the Confederate cause. It is obviously horrible.

I am descended mainly from Germans. I can recognize the positive contributions Germany has made to the world, while also acknowledging that the Nazi regime was horrible. That period of German history is utterly shameful. There are no statues in modern Germany glorifying Hitler, nor should there be.
Not completely true, the goal of expanding slavery to new states was because they were afraid that the anti slavery states would gain too many votes in congress and hurt their interests (which top among them was slavery in their own states)

If of the lower 48 (minus West Virginia) would have the same rules for slave and not slave states today, there would be 18 slave states and 29 free ones, they were afraid that slavery would be declared illegal, expanding slavery was more the means not the goal.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The only reason I can see for anyone wanting to pay tribute to Confederates is this: They see Blacks as inferiors and they wanted to see slavery last forever.
How about if not for Lee the south might have fought a gorilla war with the north for decades more?

Old 06-05-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Lets not kid ourselves now, there were lots of participants who had motivation aside from slavery, more loyalty to the state then what at the time was a weak federal government. They were not all that far out from when the US was formed, and the loyalty to the state rather than the fed gov was pretty strong.

And another point; the North through commerce more than supported the slave industry in the South.
in 1861 NYC mayor Fernando Wood asked the NY City council to secede from the US, he later became the congressman most anti the 13th amendment.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:47 AM

445 posts, read 168,326 times
The county I live in is named after him. Are they going to change the name to something else now? I was okay with the confederate flag being taken down at South Carolina's Capitol. I don't think this is the same thing though.

Last edited by UserNam3; 06-05-2020 at 09:00 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
A monument based on theoreticals?

no a monument based on the fact that his push to end the war when he realized it was lost, and his dignified surrender (regardless of the consequences) saved thousands of lives Union, Confederate, and Black.

I'm not advocating for keeping the statue, If let's say America would have no confederate statues and there was no left wing pushing the total rewriting of history, if this was on the ballot I would skip the question because I have no care to keep up his statue and I have no desire to tear it down. My main problem is the rewriting history that is destroying the country and being used as a macguffin for agendas that I find much worse than the confederacy. Agendas that based on Jewish theology I consider worse than the Nazis even were. This group think attitude that the left is generating on both the right and the left is causing bigger changes that are extremely dangerous.

When truth, logic, reason, disappear and the only thing that counts is the moral agenda of the most evil people (leftists) on the planet. When whites who cleaned up BLM vandalism on public property are called racist by the woke left, they can push anything.

The statue is irrelevant to me, this current pushout of the truth is having people say that laws against prostitution are racist and "transphobic" (PS being against transgender is good) cause they are more likely to be arrested for being hookers, so let's repeal this "racist" law. Think I'm joking there is probably a 50% chance NY will repeal it's ban on streetwalker this coming week in Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies