Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 06:47 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Let us know when Kenya sends its first rocket to the moon or even build its first automobile.
Wild guess: You didn't like what I had to say, and you can't refute it. I touched a nerve. You decided to make a bigoted comment yourself, further confirming what I said.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You don't hear about it because you don't listen, the arguments about removing those statues has been going on for a long time, its not something new. As for your statement "why do most blacks live in the south" its because that's where they were when they got freed from slaves. Have you heard of the Great Migration where over 6 million people headed north in search of a better life and to get away from the Jim Crow South? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...rican_American)

Still think its white progressives trying to manipulate something.....
And this is it right here. You touched on something. We're dealing with things that can be easily researched. A majority of Blacks live in the South because of slavery. That is literally the one reason they were in the South in the first place.

My grandparents were part of the Great Migration. It's a part of my heritage I take pride in. My grandparents got up out of the South during the Jim Crow era. Blacks started moving to southern states again during the 1970s and after.

And you touched on something else. Many people aren't hearing about Black people being critical of Confederate monuments because said persons aren't listening. Or they are ignoring it. Many people aren't listening because they don't want to listen. I will use myself as an example. I hate the Confederate flag, and I make no apologies for it. I've hated the Confederate flag since I was a freshman in high school. The more I know what the Confederate cause was about, the more proof I get, the more I hate the Confederate flag. It's a reverse case of ignorance being bliss. The more I know, the less blissful I am.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:55 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The only reason I can see for anyone wanting to pay tribute to Confederates is this: They see Blacks as inferiors and they wanted to see slavery last forever.
Lets not kid ourselves now, there were lots of participants who had motivation aside from slavery, more loyalty to the state then what at the time was a weak federal government. They were not all that far out from when the US was formed, and the loyalty to the state rather than the fed gov was pretty strong.

And another point; the North through commerce more than supported the slave industry in the South.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Point is that you can't put a Robert E Lee statue on your property these days or a Confederate flag. Can't be done. All it's going to do is upset people.
I wasn't talking about whether or not people would get upset. We know that. I wasn't talking about whether or not people would get upset. I was talking about whether someone had a Constitutional right to do so.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Lets not kid ourselves now, there were lots of participants who had motivation aside from slavery, more loyalty to the state then what at the time was a weak federal government. They were not all that far out from when the US was formed, and the loyalty to the state rather than the fed gov was pretty strong.

And another point; the North through commerce more than supported the slave industry in the South.
None of this absolves from what the Confederate cause was explicitly about. Go read the Confederate Constitution, the Articles of Secession, the Cornerstone Speech. None of this what the north did negates what the South's intentions were or what it did.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:59 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
Interesting that blackface is trying to deflect from his racist history and that the history of the racist Democrats that they try to project on the Republicans.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Interesting that blackface is trying to deflect from his racist history and that the history of the racist Democrats that they try to project on the Republicans.
I'm guessing that you want those Confederate statues to stay up, and you're gaslighting as a result.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:08 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Correct, that is where most blacks live. If confederate monuments are so offensive and troublesome, why do most blacks live in the south? Why do we only hear about those monuments at times like this? Ask yourself why that is. It looks like manipulation to me by white progressives to further their agenda, not yours. You are just useful right now.
A lot of black people live in the South because their families are and were there, and have BEEN there for a long time. Why should they leave just because of some statues? It doesn't mean they have to like or admire them though. Almost all of those statues were erected in the early 20th century by memorial associations such as the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the United Confederate Veterans, and Ladies Memorial Associations. Of course, they were part of attempts not only to glorify Confederate soldiers and plantation life, but also to write slavery and the horrors of the war out of peoples' memories in an effort to help white Southerners adjust to their new status and move forward into what became known as "the New South". They were also placed there to reinforce the notion that "white folks" were still the superior people in the South and that "black folks" had better know and keep their place. These statues being offensive is not new.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It was bound to happen.

I thought this was about police brutality myself but obviously it was always going to be about race.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/robert-e-...161839841.html
Hundreds of thousands of good men died to put an end to the Slaver Rebellion and preserve the Union. Pulling down a statue is a good step, but we need to organize a 4th of July national flag burning of Lee's filthy rag.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Why are these Democrats worrying about STATUES that can't hurt anyone, but doing nothing about VIOLENT looters, arsonist and rioters? Where are their priorities for the the PUBLIC GOOD and safety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies