Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 05:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times

Advertisements

"Mr Trump, tear down this wall!"

Old 06-04-2020, 05:09 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Respected State's Rights, Honor, Liberty and Freedom. They were Americans and American soldiers. To remove all evidence of them is a true disgrace. This governor is just another Communist America eradicator. You should be ashamed. Pathetic.
They cast their lot with the other team, they lost and don't get to write the history and create the memorials. History will continue, their evidence will remain in the thousands of cemetery markers where they and those they fought are laid to rest. Take your stupid communist rhetoric and keep it because your name calling contributes nothing but show how narrow mined you are like some other currently in office.

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Lee is usually cited not for his allegiance or political views, but for his personal conduct, as a moral man caught in the most amoral (rather than immoral) forms of human conflict.

This is how the story of the surrender at Appomattox was presented to us, as junor high school students (few Afros, but plenty of assimilating white ethnics) in a Northern industrial community of 25,000, in the divisive 1960's.
But another source paints a not-so-enlightened picture pf Lee:

https://acwm.org/blog/myths-misunder...e-slaveholder/

To my knowledge, this unflattering portrait, although written at the height of Reconstruction tensions, has not been discredited.

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
UGH I thought we were done with white washing history or should I say washing it down for the PC crowd.

I envision a black man sitting beneath that Robert E Lee statue with his kids and telling them that the man on that horse fought to keep our people as slaves, he was defeated by good people that freed us and now the only thing that will hold you back is your brain.

I can be an optimist sometimes.
And do you hope one day a jewish dad can sit with his kids at the base of a hitler statue telling them the same thing?

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Good. Every Confederate monument needs to be taken down. Monuments that pay public accolades to Confederates should come down.
I DISAGREE

CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG and other
CONFEDERATE MEMORIALS

- - - - - - -
Anyone who is offended by history wants to hide the truth from being remembered.
- - - - - - -
Honoring one's defeated enemies and especially their dead is a long standing practice. We see examples of this in Roman history, where fallen enemies are not reviled nor their cause ridiculed, nor their memories tarnished. Perhaps this is to appease the spirits or to not agitate the descendants into seeking revenge.
Whatever the reason, it is an accepted practice.

To attack them and their memory is considered uncivilized, uncultured, contemptible and / or ignoble.

MAGNANIMITY IN VICTORY MARKED THE CIVIL WAR’S END

Upon news of General Lee’s surrender, General Grant admonished Union soldiers who were firing salutes to mark their victory. “Stop that firing,” he said sternly, “The Rebels are our countrymen again.”

Lincoln and Grant knew the Confederates were once more part of the union. To be harsh or spiteful, or punish them, or throw the Union's win in their face, was not going to do anybody any good. To disfigure, remove and eradicate memorials of the Confederacy is an insult to their memories as well as the magnanimity and generosity of the victors. It is a shame if we allow history to fall out of the minds of our people because of an ignorant, vindictive, and spiteful attitude of a few.
. . . .

8,342 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
UGH I thought we were done with white washing history or should I say washing it down for the PC crowd.

You know bad things happened in the past and so did amazing things as well. Name a country in the world that has as much opportunity for all as America. People have lived and died for their beliefs to make this country better than it was yesterday and some people are forgetting this sacrifice.

I don't understand why those Confederate statues are seen as symbols of oppression when they should serve as reminders to us all and especially black people of how far as a society and equality for all we have come since then.

I envision a black man sitting beneath that Robert E Lee statue with his kids and telling them that the man on that horse fought to keep our people as slaves, he was defeated by good people that freed us and now the only thing that will hold you back is your brain.

I can be an optimist sometimes.
Well stated. Erase it like it never happened.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:11 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You really need to get a new fantasy shtick.
Reading your posts are fantasy enough....

Old 06-04-2020, 05:12 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
I think Robert E. Lee is unfairly maligned lately, but that's kind of a over-reaction to the fact he was given more accolades than he was due for so many years. He wasn't that great of a general and arguably helped the Confederacy lose faster.

Lee never liked being a symbol of the confederacy. Other people made him into that. He didn't want any confederate flags at his funeral and there were none. Lee himself would probably be embarrassed that statues of him celebrated white supremacy & confederate lost cause ideology. .

Old 06-04-2020, 05:14 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Wrong. One of the counterpoints to the debate on passing the 13th Amendment was "What next? Negroes voting? And then women would get the vote...?"

Women were third class citizens in that time period. It was entirely a white man's world, and women were there to follow orders.
you know that many women opposed the vote
https://www.massmoments.org/moment-d...-the-vote.html

and there were many of the Christian right who supported it.
from an he evangelical Christian group in NY
https://www.google.com/books/edition...=1591312350278
"shall women be permitted to vote at local options elections"

Old 06-04-2020, 05:15 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,574 times
I would like to point out that there are no public statues honoring Generals or war heroes from WWII in either of the two main Axis countries:

Germany has no public statues for any German General or war hero who served in WWII. Even Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, a highly respected General by The Allies and involved in the plot to over throw Hitler (for which he was forced to commit suicide) does not have one. Germany does have The Holocaust Memorial in its capital city, Berlin, and has also has built holocaust education into its school curriculum.

Likewise, Japan does not have any public statues of Japanese war heroes. Instead it does have many public peace memorials, most famously The Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima. There is the Yasukuni Shrine, a Shinto shrine founded in 1869 to commemorate Japan's war dead for the Boshin War of 1868–1869, but which has expanded to include memorials for many other wars since, including WWII making it somewhat controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies