Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 03:49 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Hmmmm……monuments to white supremacy seem to be losing their charm.
When will they rename the Russell Senate office building named after a Democratic segregationist??

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, and these materials are available to anyone these days with just a few mouse clicks, and yet still there are the denials of the causes for secession, and ironically, the very people who flatly deny what all these public documents show, accuse others of "revisionist history"!
Such materials are easy to find. I've gone online and posted this material here on city-data. I've done it over and over. I'm not doing it this time. The way I see it, if said persons want to keep wallowing in the Lost Cause lie, then that says more about them. They aren't brainwashed, they aren't ignorant. If they refuse to listen, in spite of ample proof, that's not ignorance or being brainwashed. That is just holding on to a bigoted way of thinking. That is being hardheaded and willfully stupid.

8,342 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Perhaps they’ll go into a museum. I’d take those statues if they aren’t claimed. Love collecting stuff reactionaries try to ban. When amazon was about to stop selling confederate flags a few years back I bought one.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:50 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Will Robert E Lee be deleted from all History Books, etc as well?
What if his family takes back the land used for Arlington Cemetary in retaliation??

Old 06-04-2020, 03:50 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
George Washington didn't fight specifically for the right to own slaves. Slavery was legal then. It was no longer legal after the Emancipation Proclamation.

Further proof that what is legal is not necessarily moral, ethical, or honorable.
The conflict over slavery was inevitable -- It began well before the American Revolution, at a time when the anti-slavery movement was well underway; half-*****ed measures like the Missouri Compromise and Kansas-Nebraska Act simply intensified the conflict, and the self-righteous righteousness of over-zealous Northern Abolitionists (all you simpletons in Lefty-land take note) did nothing to reduce the ultimate cost.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Perhaps they’ll go into a museum. I’d take those statues and put them on my property if they aren’t claimed. Love collecting stuff reactionaries try to ban. When amazon was about to stop selling confederate flags a few years back I bought one.
This is the thing. Robert E. Lee isn't banned. He just won't be honored in public. If you want to put a statue of Robert E. Lee on your front lawn, the Constitution gives you that right. There is a difference between not honoring someone in a public space, and banning something. The fact that you love being reactionary says alot about your spiteful mindset.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:56 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,089 times
Quote:
Monuments to traitors who tried to destroy America should never have been erected. It's a damned shame Grant was running short of rope.
Grant would have disagreed, stop rewriting history, many of the southern officers wanted to fight a guerilla war which Lee rejected. If you were in charge there would have been one, and the south would have likely won.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:58 PM

8,342 posts, read 2,969,036 times
All things white will eventually be gone. The civil war should have never happened. Hundreds of thousands of whites killing whites. Insane. Should have done what other nations did to end slavery.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
All things white will eventually be gone. The civil war should have never happened. Hundreds of thousands of whites killing whites. Insane. Should have done what other nations did to end slavery.
I'm going to take a wild stab at this. You are pro-Confederate.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:05 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,089 times
Quote:
My heroes were not treasonous.

Lee was offered the command of the Union Army twice in 1861, and turned it down to protect his right to own other human beings. He does not deserve any place of honor among decent people, regardless of how valiantly he might have fought to destroy the Union.
No he turned it down because he didn't want to fight against Virginia. Slavery had nothing to do with his decision
"Mr. Blair, I look upon secession as anarchy. If I owned the four millions of slaves in the South, I would sacrifice them all to the Union; but how can I draw my sword upon Virginia, my native State?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies