Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 10:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
How about if not for Lee the south might have fought a gorilla war with the north for decades more?
some of the traitors still are

Old 06-05-2020, 10:48 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
ALL of that is in the DISTANT PAST. What's your point? America bad, racist. Ugh. Maybe try your cave man voice.
Nope....that is a myopic point of view....most immigrants came to this country...not in the best of conditions...but they came of their own free will.....they did not come over imprisoned shackled in ships to be sold which contributed to being relegated to a permanent under class. Not to mention, the lynchings, the institutionalized Jim Crowe Laws and vote suppression...the worst of those lasting well into the 20th century.

Last edited by JohnBoy64; 06-05-2020 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 10:53 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
ALL of that is in the DISTANT PAST. What's your point? America bad, racist. Ugh. Maybe try your cave man voice.
Actually slavery has it roots to that pre-dates recorded time....Every race has been subjugated to slavery.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Russia does this a lot all the polish hero statues were removed and replaced with Russian hero’s after invasion
Uzbekistan did it too. It tore down its Communist statues and replaced them with local heroes.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:12 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I'm waiting for someone to call for the demolition of The Colosseum because of the torture and killing of Christians, and feeding them to the lions.

Maybe PETA will get involved too.
You people really have a hard time separating commemoration of the oppressed from honoring the oppressors, don't you? It's not as if the Daughters of The Roman Empire had a statute of Emperor Nero in a heroic pose erected across from St. Peter's., to remind the Christians who used to be boss.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:24 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Based on the judgment you demonstrate in your posts, I'm 100% sure I can live with that assessment. History is kinda my thing.
If you agreed with my judgment I would be more concerned

Quote:
Cool. That is what this is about.
maybe for 10-25% the rest has nothing to do with this

Quote:
Pretty sure you missed the point of the comparison. The parallel drawn was not one of the level of depravity.
I explicitly said it has nothing to do with depravity assuming the nazi agenda was 100% equivalent to the confederate one, comparing Hitler to Lee would be ludicrous
As I already said comparing Lee to Rommel would be better suited, and even that comparison drastically fails

Quote:
It was to illustrate the point that you don't get a statue in a place of honor for fighting - and losing - in the service of bad cause.
Quote:
Ignore Hitler, lets go with, say, general Guderian. There's no statue depicting him in a heroic pose anywhere, although he was extremely capable and led his troops with extraordinary competence. Because - and this apparently needs to be hammered home - there's no honor in fighting well for a bad cause.
This comparison works better than Rommel's however still fails, Lee was much more repentant (not the greatest word but lee alienated much of the south (during his lifetime) for his post war behavior) Lee's actions also helped stop a gorilla war. Lee actually was against confederate memorials.

I have no problem with those who want to get rid of the Lee statues, I have a problem with those trying to rewrite history, that turns Lee into Nathan Bedford Forrest in order to suit an agenda.

What is your view about Jimmy Carter's Jefferson Davis pardon?

I see that as much worse than the Lee statues.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:39 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
That new statue is an ugly monstrosity. Why would any city allow that to be put in a public place, are black people ok with this?
It was installed at an art museum as a piece of art, not as a memorial to the "Lost Cause" like the Confederate statues, so don't try to conflate the meanings of the two statues. They have entirely different purposes. And actually, most people in Richmond like the new art installation.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:56 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
How old is the statue in question?
Quite old for a Confederate statue - unveiled in 1890.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:54 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Quite old for a Confederate statue - unveiled in 1890.
Alot of Confederate monuments were built between 1890 and 1920. A giant spike of Confederate monuments took place around 1909-1912. These monuments were being erected starting in 1866. Towards the 1880s, as Jim Crow was in place, more and more came. In the years following Plessy vs Ferguson, the number of Confederate monuments skyrocketed. Those Confederate monuments were a way of saying "the Confederate dream is alive and well. Jim Crow is the law of the land, and Blacks better know their place".

Another mini-spike took place in the mid 1950s into the 1960s, right after Brown vs Board of education. Around this time, more and more schools were being named for Robert E. Lee and other Confederate generals. Confederate monuments became a push back against integrating schools.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:11 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
It's been happening for years, this is their history, and they are erasing it piece by piece. I wonder if State of Georgia employees still get Robert E. Lee's birthday off every year? I'll bet nobody's fighting to have that changed.

Could you explain to me what part of your education was tied to monuments of dead soldiers? I'm genuinely curious.

Last I checked, books and first-person documents are still available. What does removing a monument have to do with erasing history? I can still learn about this history from quite literally hundreds of thousands of other sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies