Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 10:01 AM

994 posts, read 504,189 times

Advertisements

Good. The statue of the traitor should be put in the trash.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:02 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Germany erected The Holocaust Memorial in its capital city, Berlin, as a public display of their atonement for what a group of Germans with a twisted political agenda did in WWII. It has also has built holocaust education into its school curriculum.
Modern Germany has a mature relationship with its past, and that is much to be admired. I loved living there.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:05 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Good. The statue of the traitor should be put in the trash.
Disagree. A suitable museum, or one could emulate Lithuania and make a nice park with a collection: https://www.economist.com/prospero/2...soviet-statues

The entire "Lost Cause" way of Southern thinking is worth a bit of a historical study, I think.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:08 AM

34,268 posts, read 18,645,309 times
So centuries old statues are bad and dangerous, but VIOLENT Rioters, Looters, Arsonists are OK? The Left (Democrats, Progressives, the Media) are just NUTS.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:19 AM

7,825 posts, read 2,740,888 times
i thought thought I 'd throw my two cents in. I grew up in the Slave holding boarder south state of Kentucky. Tobacco and hemp were the primary crops best suited for slavery, from an economic point of view. Later KY became the largest if not one of the largest slave trading states (interstate and intrastate) in the country primarily through the markets in Louisville and Lexington KY (this is due to higher demand for slavery in the deep south than the upper south which had an over supply....this trade became very lucrative). The actual population of slaves grew in KY after 1850 although they became a smaller proportion of the white populations..

I've studied this for over 25 years....slavery was one of the most brutal immoral institutions (especially concerning the splitting of families) this country has encountered. Keep in mind we are talking about a very conservative Victorian society that had rigid social racial and social hierarchy. After the war was lost an extreme reaction gave rise to "The Lost Cause Movement" in slave holding areas including areas that remained in union such as the the vast majority KY, southern MO and parts of MD. This movement gained momentum during the late 19th Century early 20th century which is when the majority of the monuments were built in the name of the glamorized "lost cause" and a symbol of racial segregation.

Southern historians have grappled with these monuments for years (they are a part of history but do they belong in public spaces) Many monuments tried to contextualize their presence by adjoining monuments dedicated to freedom as a result of this conflict. That flopped. Most southern historians are now in agreement these memorials of the past need to be removed. Many of the issues of this long ago past have not been reconciled and are a source of agitation (not just relics of the past). Put them in cemeteries and museums....do not erase this history though. 600,000 thousand lives were lost (north, south, white, black, women, children). It gave us the the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments. This period began to define the US we recognize today and made possible the civil rights movement.

Here is something to consider....prior to the civil war the United State was referred to as plural...as in the the "The United are a collection of colonies the broke from England" After the Civil War the United States became singular as in....The United States "is" the largest economy in the world....a little trivia there.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:22 AM

34,268 posts, read 18,645,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
i thought thought I 'd throw my two cents in. I grew up in the Slave holding boarder south state of Kentucky. Tobacco and hemp were the primary crops best suited for slavery, from an economic point of view. Later KY became the largest if not one of the largest slave trading states (interstate and intrastate) in the country primarily through the markets in Louisville and Lexington KY (this is due to higher demand for slavery in the deep south than the upper south which had an over supply....this trade became very lucrative. The actual population of slaves grew in KY after 1850 although they became a smaller proportion of the white populations..

I've studied this for over 25 years....slavery was one of the most brutal immoral institutions (especially concerning the splitting of families) this country has encountered. Keep in mind we are talking about a very conservative Victorian society that had rigid social racial and social hierarchy. After the war was lost an extreme reaction gave rise to "The Lost Cause Movement" in slave holding areas including areas that remained in union such as the the vast majority KY, southern MO and parts of MD. This movement gained momentum during the late 19th Century early 20th century which is when the majority of the monuments were built in the name of the glamorized "lost cause" and a symbol of racial segregation.

Southern historians have grappled with these monuments for years (they are a part of history but do they belong in public spaces) Many monuments tried to contextualize their presence by adjoining monuments dedicated to freedom as a result of this conflict. That flopped. Most southern historians are now in agreement these memorials of the past need to be removed. Many of the issues of this long ago past have not been reconciled and are a source of agitation (not jst relics of the past). Put them in cemeteries and museums....do not erase this history though. 600,000 thousand lives were lost (north, south, white, black, women, children). It gave us the the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments. This period began to define the US we recognize today and made possible the civil rights movement.

Here is something to consider....prior to the civil war the United State was referred to a plural...as in the the "The United are a collection of colonies the broke from England" After the Civil War the United States became singular as in....The United States "is" the largest economy in the world....a little trivia there.
ALL of that is in the DISTANT PAST. What's your point? America bad, racist. Ugh. Maybe try your cave man voice.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:23 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,009,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So centuries old statues are bad and dangerous, but VIOLENT Rioters, Looters, Arsonists are OK? The Left (Democrats, Progressives, the Media) are just NUTS.
I'm waiting for someone to call for the demolition of The Colosseum because of the torture and killing of Christians, and feeding them to the lions.

Maybe PETA will get involved too.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:24 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,533,280 times
Russia does this a lot all the polish hero statues were removed and replaced with Russian hero’s after invasion

Old 06-05-2020, 10:28 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,196,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
ALL of that is in the DISTANT PAST. What's your point? America bad, racist. Ugh. Maybe try your cave man voice.
So no need for statues to commemorate the past.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:33 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,768,308 times
the best thing to do at this point is to let baby have their way and ignore them. they will be renaming towns next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies