Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2020, 09:11 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,564,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This is the exact same thing, IMO. Why are we memorializing someone who was an integral part of an attempt to destroy our union? We're not talking about a Lee statue on private property - we're talking about public property paid for and maintained with public monies.

You do know that changing names of a county causes all sorts of terrible side effects.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:12 AM

47,042 posts, read 26,150,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
How about if not for Lee the south might have fought a gorilla war with the north for decades more?
So much to unpack here, but I'll just point out that spellcheck isn't always your friend.

Also that Lee only surrendered the North Virginia Army. Johnston was the Confederate general who told Jefferson Davis (who was keen to keep the war going) to get bent and surrendered his army - 90,000 men, and that was arguably the turning point.

But sure, a nice marker on the surrender site.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 06-05-2020 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So much to unpack here, but I'll just point out that spellcheck isn't always your friend.
how about auto spellcheck?
rules for destroying someone's point without in the eyes of the public without addressing any points, attack them for something irrelevant and imply they are wrong on everything else.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
If let's say America would have no confederate statues and there was no left wing pushing the total rewriting of history
That's not what is happening.

Quote:
The statue is irrelevant to me
Good for you! Now, there are people who do not like to see a heroic memorial for a guy who fought tooth and nail to make sure their ancestors could be someone's property. It's relevant to them.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Where did I advocate for changing the name of a county? We're talking about removing a statue. The removal of a statue is the exact same thing as the cessation of flying the "Confederate flag" (which is actually the 2nd Confederate Navy Jack, or the Battle Flag for the Army of Northern Viriginia, depending on the shape of the flag and the shade of blue used).
the person you responded to said this at the beginning
"The county I live in is named after him. Are the going to change the name to something else now?"

wasn't sure if what you said went on both

Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's not what is happening.

based on your views (checked a few posts of your just now) I'm 100% sure you are an example of it

Quote:
Good for you! Now, there are people who do not like to see a heroic memorial for a guy who fought tooth and nail to make sure their ancestors could be someone's property. It's relevant to them.

I can see both sides of the debate on Lee, I don't give a darn about it. If there was no agenda that is being pushed I would not care, if they were going to be removed and I would be the deciding vote to stop them from being removed I would not stop them from being removed. I understand why those want to keep it and why those want to remove them.

But anyone who makes Robert E Lee their second biggest problem after Jefferson Davis, and many have more of a problem with him than Davis himself, this is exactly what I am referring to.

the woke left, can not have a rational conversation about anything that touches race relations.
They are also making racism grow and go on for another generation with their behavior. How do you think Whiteys feel being made to apologize for so called "White Privilege", My grandfathers brother actually died from starvation in Russia, I will never apologize for things that I am not either personally responsible for or even collectively responsible for. And no I don't think slavery was the worst sin of America, FDR actively trying to stop Jews escaping from the Nazis from being killed was infinitely worse (for example he stopped the Dominican Republic from accepting 100,000 German Jews). The hatred you have for Robert E Lee statues is nothing compared to the hatred I have for the FDR memorial in Washington, but I also understand that many Americans think he did a lot of good for other reasons that have nothing to do with him being a mass murderer.

I understand you trying to get rid of the statute and have no problem if it was solely for the fact that his actions of fighting for his state would have kept your ancestors in bondage, however making up garbage that Lee was comparable to a Hitler, even if I would insanely think slavery was worse than the Holocaust is ludicrous. There is an agenda pushing this garbage and this mob think of the left is dangerous and destructive.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:47 AM

24,848 posts, read 9,610,008 times
When all the statues are gone and the racists are still here, who will we blame next? The video games?

We’re trying to kill an ideology with empty gestures and whitewashing.

If you can’t figure out how to prosper in America with a confederate flag of adversity waiving in your face, you’re not going to figure it out when it’s removed.

It’s interesting how Asian Americans and African immigrants have highly prospered despite what confederate mementos were still up. When you don’t let simple things bother you, they won’t.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:50 AM

19,040 posts, read 14,283,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There are no statues in modern Germany glorifying Hitler, nor should there be.
Not an equivalent comparison. The defeated Germans, under the auspices of the Allies, passed laws prohibiting the display of anything to do with the NAZI regime.
. . .
There were no laws passed prohibiting the former Confederates from displaying symbols of their lost cause.

Frankly, attacking memorials to fallen Confederates is quite counter productive. Any one who thinks that such memorials 'insult' descendants of slaves has no concept of what a memorial is all about.
They remind the winners and the LOSERS, who really lost. Why would anyone from the 'winning' side wish to bury such reminders? If anything, such statues and art should leave a warm glow - for the victors.

They scream "WE WON - WE WON - WE WON!" - - - in a polite way.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:50 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,012,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I am descended mainly from Germans. I can recognize the positive contributions Germany has made to the world, while also acknowledging that the Nazi regime was horrible. That period of German history is utterly shameful. There are no statues in modern Germany glorifying Hitler, nor should there be.
I am the first-born German American in my family. I have cousins in Germany that are so ashamed of what happened in WWII that they chose NOT to have children! They grew up in East Germany so that may also have something to do with it. I did not see my father's side of the family for almost 40 years.

My father left Germany when Hitler began his rise to power, and had his henchmen riot in the streets and burn down their Parliament. He came to the US, joined the US Army and went back to his birth country to fight Nazism. He even stayed after the war ended, serving in the Civil Censorship Division in the occupying US Army using his bi-lingual skills monitoring telephone, telegraph and mail correspondence to thwart a resurgence of Nazis (Werewolves) in US-occupied post-war Germany.

And, you are correct: there are no statues in modern Germany glorifying Hitler. But did you know that there are no public statues for any German General or war hero who served in WWII? Even Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, a highly respected General by The Allies and involved in the plot to over throw Hitler (for which he was forced to commit suicide) does not have one.

Germany erected The Holocaust Memorial in its capital city, Berlin, as a public display of their atonement for what a group of Germans with a twisted political agenda did in WWII. It has also has built holocaust education into its school curriculum.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
based on your views (checked a few posts of your just now) I'm 100% sure you are an example of it
Based on the judgment you demonstrate in your posts, I'm 100% sure I can live with that assessment. History is kinda my thing.

Quote:
I understand you trying to get rid of the statute and have no problem if it was solely for the fact that his actions of fighting for his state would have kept your ancestors in bondage.
Cool. That is what this is about.

Quote:
however making up garbage that Lee was comparable to a Hitler
Pretty sure you missed the point of the comparison. The parallel drawn was not one of the level of depravity. It was to illustrate the point that you don't get a statue in a place of honor for fighting - and losing - in the service of bad cause.

Ignore Hitler, lets go with, say, general Guderian. There's no statue depicting him in a heroic pose anywhere, although he was extremely capable and led his troops with extraordinary competence. Because - and this apparently needs to be hammered home - there's no honor in fighting well for a bad cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies