Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 06:31 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,392,354 times

Advertisements

The stupidity of the left is....just....I can't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 06:32 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,463 times
And of course no conflict of interest with Keith Ellison prosecuting a case against cops with his leftist weirdo son the worst of the worst on the city council who wants to "disband the police" Sorry it's a Fox story but of course CNN, MSNBC not reporting this.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/jer...ice-department

Old 06-05-2020, 06:33 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Please let them do it. Let it all unravel.
This would be my thinking too if I wasn't in fear of it affecting me tbh. As in, me as a law abiding citizen, not me as white or whatev. If this happens for real -abolish police forces- can you even imagine the wild behavior of criminal types? The law abiding working class black people who LIVE in the ghettos will be victims even more than they are now, do you think the criminals will just go after whites? No way.

I cannot believe this is really a thing...??

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
My school of thought......

Where policing is non existent you will not find me nor my family...............

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Oooh those wacky Minnesotans. Let’s see how long their no police policy lasts. lol.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Oooh those wacky Minnesotans. Let’s see how long their no police policy lasts. lol.
Scary thing is if they manage to do this it sets a precedent that perhaps will be followed countrywide.

One of my sons in law is in a police academy in VA; regretting it no doubt after this week of madness.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:40 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
I'm not advocating this, but to be fair, it sounds like the police would no longer be used for non-potentially violent situations for mental issues or drug dependencies but there would still be armed police of some sort.
The current model is more efficient in that you can call one number, one agency, and they can be the first on any type of scene which is highly unpredictable. The same people that talk people off the ledge are the same people who surround violent criminals, guns drawn.
Not an enviable job.
We live in a ridiculous, extremist society in which we can't seem to separate the two necessary modes used by the same patrol officer.
I want to like the idea on some level, but the randomness of what could happen in any given situation would prove to be too cumbersome to figure who to send out to what kind of call that comes in.
At that point, we might as well be policed by screaming out-of-work baristas holding up signs, which is what feels like is going on now.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapol...ice-department

"Social workers or medics could respond to situations once handled by police, she said."

Someone please explain to me how this will work?
Who knows. Its FOX "News", so we don't know what they said in context. One thing is obvious: they are not going to get rid of the police, and replace all officers with social workers. Making it sound like that is FOX propaganda at its best.

Some situations could be handled by people other than police (and already is across the country), while police still handle criminal situations.

Quote:
“And when we’re done, we’re not simply gonna glue [the department] back together,” tweeted Jeremiah Ellison. “We are going to dramatically rethink how we approach public safety and emergency response.”

Bender told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that she envisions replacing a traditional police department with a broader, more holistic public safety department geared toward violence prevention and community services. Social workers or medics could respond to situations once handled by police, she said

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-05-2020 at 06:50 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm not advocating this, but to be fair, it sounds like the police would no longer be used for non-potentially violent situations for mental issues or drug dependencies but there would still be armed police of some sort.
Ok now this actually does make sense. Reserve police response for actual crimes, not mental cases calling because they are hallucinating, or overdosing.

BUT, social workers are already so overburdened and underpaid and burned out, may be hard to get a "force" if you will, of capable/willing social workers to do the job which would have to be pretty sizeable in a big city.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who knows. Its FOX "News", so we don't know what they said in context. One thing is obvious: they are not going to get rid of the police, and replace all officers with social workers. Making it sound like they are eliminating police force is FOX propaganda at its best.

Some situations could be handled by people other than police (and already is across the country), while police still handle criminal situations.
No I saw the same thing on CNN, actually I saw it there first then went to Fox to see. I always check both to get the two extreme views. They also have decided to remove police from all schools...?

EDIT: CAN'T FIND IT ON CNN anymore!! I swear it was there just a few hours ago or so!
Here it is on Huffpost:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/minne...b639da7b399c1c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies