Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 07:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times

Advertisements

I suspect states will have to step in and pass laws requiring municipalities to have a functioning police force. I just can’t see them standing by allowing nonsense like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 07:53 AM

534 posts, read 489,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why would re-structuring the police force mean the city would die?

The mind of a Trump apologist is a mysterious and dark place......
It really is! I was sort of trapped listening to a Trump apologist blather (there's honestly no other word for it) and while I kept inching away, trying to leave without being rude, all I was thinking was "This mind is very strange place where unusual things happen."

Old 06-05-2020, 08:10 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,764,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
If this is the case then awesome. Calling it "dismantling" is a misnomer then. It really would make total sense if they're not talking about abolishing police altogether.

I am totally in favor of police handling crime and social workers handling the non-criminal calls that police now handle. Though given how overburdened social workers now are, as we always are told when a child dies after CPS not doing their job, I doubt any city's ability to build an adequate work force of social workers to do this thankless, emotionally burdensome job.

Is that what they are actually intending to do, though? I feel dumb now.
Don't feel dumb. Words like "dismantling" are used to rally the troops without having to make the troops think for themselves. It also buries the truth to where it's harder to find. These same people will be in for a rude awakening when they realize the police force still exists.
And to think Trump supporters are being made fun of here.
My concern is that this "nuanced approach" would get very confusing and potentially more violent than what we currently have.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:11 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,915 times
Let them do it. Please please please.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:15 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,463 times
The only way this would work is if there was an armed SWAT team on stand by. If the social worker/police officer is killed by a thug then this SWAT team is dispatched with one job, hunt down the shooter and kill him/her. No arrest, no court...dead.

That is the only thing that these criminals understand and that is brute force. They are the ultimate survivors and if they know they will be hunted down and put down it might actually give them pause.

It's all a fantasy. The MPLS Cops will be out beating the public within 6 months and these headline grabbers will be moved on to something else.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:26 AM

903 posts, read 583,851 times
So, who would have responded in this new scenario to the George Floyd situation? It seems to me, if an unarmed Social Worker shows up to what is supposed to be a non-violent situation and it gets violent, the Social Worker would be in a world of danger. If a cop shows up as back-up so is already on the scene, then the whole purpose of them not being there is thrown out the window. If the fact that the Cops shear presence heightens tension is true.

So maybe spend more money on cops and their training so they are better equipped to handle situations. Maybe spend more money on screening so people who really shouldn't be cops aren't being hired as one.

Maybe more free counseling for the community and more people who can point people into the right direction so that they can find help for better training, better jobs, more schooling, etc. and encourage and incentivize private companies to provide funding so that the cycle of dependence and brokenness can be broken.

cd :O)

Old 06-05-2020, 08:29 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They are not advocating replacing all police officers with social workers.

They are wanting to spend money on programs to try and remove the problems that end up in needing more policemen

It's not a bad idea and will require a nuanced approach to balancing immediate needs for law enforcement and not continually solving community problems with the band aid of more law enforcement.
I dont think they know what they want to do. You know the rest of us can read too. Not sure why some of you want us to accept your interpretation instead of the actual words we read.
“We are going to dismantle the Minneapolis Police Department and replace it with a transformative new model of public safety,” Bender tweeted.

she envisions replacing a traditional police department with a broader, more holistic public safety department geared toward violence prevention and community services. Bender told the paper. “We need white people like me and my neighbors to show up in a different way.”

Mayor Jacob Frey said he’d support “deep, structural reforms” to the department but not a complete abolishment of the agency, the paper reported. And support for such a vision among Council members is not yet clear.

Anyway dont they already have programs? Exactly what additional programs do they want to spend money on?

Old 06-05-2020, 08:59 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapol...ice-department

"Social workers or medics could respond to situations once handled by police, she said."

Someone please explain to me how this will work?
I'm for this as long as anyone employed by the city government is mandated to live within Minneapolis.

Also, they shouldn't be allowed to move out or leave for at least 15 years; even if they no longer work for the government. No running away from your mess that you foisted on the rest of the city.

Minneapolis should be a quarantined bubble from then out out.

It will have to be to keep the organized crime that is sure to grow there from spreading to the rest of the country.

These morons are going to have to be forced to take their own medicine.

All good people should sell their houses and flee the city ASAP.

If Minneapolis refuses to police its city, federal police will eventually step in to protect the rest of the country from Minneapolis as well as Minneapolis itself. Good people do still live there and they can't be left to be victims of the Far Left for for as long as we have a Federal Government that will act rationally.

Last edited by golgi1; 06-05-2020 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
When will NYC dismantle the NYPD? That would be very interesting.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Ive said more than once, that instead of calling police for drug crimes, people should actually be calling the CDC or someone more qualified, police are just going to search for the drugs and arrest as needed, this has not been effective at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies