Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 12:51 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We disagree on this then!

After I did some reading on the history of drug laws and the Constitutional aspect, I stopped calling police for drug activity at our stores and instructed the employees to do the same, being a gas station/convenience store, we see alot of 'transactions' in our parking lot, the dealer and buyer will meet here and then leave. I will say, after many years of this going on here, we have NEVER seen any violence or related problems.

The way I look at it, calling police for this sort of thing is similar to people in the past, calling police when a black person was sitting in a white section of a restaurant, or drinking from the wrong water fountain....I do not want to be 'that' kind of person.
Maybe you didn't see any violence. I haven't personally seen anyone shot, killed or beat up though I hear about in the local news frequently.
Did you happen to see the physically abused spouses, the neglected kids that end up with child services, the break-ins and thefts that occurred to get the money for those drugs, the young people being zipped up in body bags from overdoses or drug related car accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 12:55 PM

4,910 posts, read 2,059,477 times
Ha!! Now that’s funny!!

...Let’s see how this social “justice” ideal works out for them. I bet that all these “professional” social workers will be in a panic when they become the targets of criminal attacks... And there is no police to protect them from their own BS liberal ideals.

Seriously, let’s see how this thing works cuz I need a good laugh!!

This will not happen cuz even liberals knows that it nothing more than a pipe dream... But once this dream takes root, they won’t do anything cuz liberals are all talk and zero action.

What’s next, hire street gangs to enforce the law or have the Army National Guard replace the police?? That’s a train wreck waiting to happen.

Wow... And they say that smoking weed doesn’t phoock you up.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:00 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It looks like a return to the Wild West in Minneapolis. Every man for himself.
Actually, the "Wild West" wasn't nearly as wild as portrayed.
It would be more like "The Purge," or "Mad Max."

Old 06-05-2020, 01:00 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,754 times
It's already started; Minneapolis schools are doing away with resource officers, the police who are in schools. The teachers who already are treated horridly by unruly students lives just got even harder, ugh.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...floyd-protests

This is surreal. Criminals must be laughing their asses off.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Ha!! Now that’s funny!!

This will not happen cuz even liberals knows that it nothing more than a pipe dream... But once this dream takes root, they won’t do anything cuz liberals are all talk and zero action.
It is happening. See my post just above, they have already eliminated school police.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:07 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
No doubt, this is the quickest and easiest way to turn Minnesota into a red state.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:15 PM

11,800 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The police are still needed to respond to actual violence and looting, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to dispatch social workers to be available as needed during protests. They can not only help diffuse tension, they can serve as a sort of liaison that allows protesters to feel heard and seen by the government.

Having cops violently antagonizing even peaceful protesters, official journalists, and even uninvolved passersby is not working. It's only escalating the level of mutual anger and violence between cops and everyone else.

If it's not working, the logical step is to try something else.
Maybe you'd like to step up for that job. Guess you've missed the articles about why so many inner city children die by the hands of their own parents. Social workers are afraid to even go into the inner city to check on the welfare of the children. I don't think you'll find many stepping up to act as a go between in situations that could turn ugly in less than a minute.

Have you not seen the reporters and camera crews that have been attacked while the supposed peaceful protest is going on?

Old 06-05-2020, 01:19 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No doubt, this is the quickest and easiest way to turn Minnesota into a red state.
Sometimes, I wonder if that is the real plan?

Old 06-05-2020, 01:21 PM

11,800 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
It's already started; Minneapolis schools are doing away with resource officers, the police who are in schools. The teachers who already are treated horridly by unruly students lives just got even harder, ugh.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...floyd-protests

This is surreal. Criminals must be laughing their asses off.
What's sad is the number of children who really want an education that will end up losing. I have friends who left the Buffalo public schools because of all the violence even with police in the school because there were more altercations than they could handle. Teachers and aides being beaten when they try to break up a fight - it just wasn't worth it to them anymore.

Liberals always want to sacrifice the rights of the majority so now we're sacrificing the rights of the black children who want to better themselves so a couple of thugs don't get hurt?

Old 06-05-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who will the teachers and principle call now when they have an unruly student? You know they are already terrified to lay hands on a student. Or a parent. Thats going to be a real chit show.

I used to pfffftttt at the resource officers. I think they started that when my kids were in high school. Of course I live in rural USA and in my day if you acted up a teacher or principle would take you in the hall and bust your butt for you and that was that.

But now my brother is a resource officer and he loves the job and the kids love him. I am amazed at what he has to deal with in that small school. He is very involved with the students and is trying to get other officers to join him in creating a mentor program for the young boys who have no male figure or guidance in their lives as he has seen that is an issue with a lot of the young men with behavior problems. He would be devastated if they did away with his job.
I know, my youngest, aged 20 said about how students loved the SROs at her HS, then again it was hardly an inner city school, so.

Yeah, I cannot fathom how this shall work! The teachers, I guess, were not consulted. The reasoning was something (I am paraphrasing here) about how black and brown students feel less safe with police at school, not more safe. I wonder how safe the teachers will feel now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies