Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 03:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

More people have responded on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ayaq0r/status/1270530700501016577

Old 06-13-2020, 04:00 PM

https://twitter.com/killu4gore/statu...35566425792512

Old 06-13-2020, 04:14 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Empty virtue signalling to avoid any sort of shopping backlash by other virtue signalling social cause fruit flies.

BLM has some very valid points.

Just today though, I saw yet another example of what is wrong and why it won't get fixed.

Atlanta cop shoots guy.
Head of GA NAACP demands police chief be fired. (No need to wait for investigation I guess)
Um, why not the mayor? Oh that's right...she's black and really politically connected, so much so that she's a possible VP candidate. Ka Ching...free pass....here you go mayor.

Same old story in these major metro areas. Maybe remove a police chief, replace with another very similar police chief....mayor remains if politically connected enough or at least avoids any major repercussions.

Past mayors caught covering up police murders weren't even removed from office and got jobs at The Atlantic and ABC afterwards. So tell me, what chance does BLM have when the politics of even groups like the NAACP is more important than civil rights? Tell me.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Empty virtue signalling to avoid any sort of shopping backlash by other virtue signalling social cause fruit flies.

BLM has some very valid points.

Just today though, I saw yet another example of what is wrong and why it won't get fixed.

Atlanta cop shoots guy.
Head of GA NAACP demands police chief be fired. (No need to wait for investigation I guess)
Um, why not the mayor? Oh that's right...she's black and really politically connected, so much so that she's a possible VP candidate. Ka Ching...free pass....here you go mayor.

Same old story in these major metro areas. Maybe remove a police chief, replace with another very similar police chief....mayor remains if politically connected enough or at least avoids any major repercussions.

Past mayors caught covering up police murders weren't even removed from office and got jobs at The Atlantic and ABC afterwards. So tell me, what chance does BLM have when the politics of even groups like the NAACP is more important than civil rights? Tell me.
I'm for the cause but anti-BLM, so I won't address that part of it - but we see the same thing in Chicago, as you know. And Lori Lightfoot will never be faulted as a lesbian black woman, despite the fact that she's in over her head and told the cops to stand down with the rioters and looters, leading to complete destruction here.

If they think this is going to prevent further theft / looting these retailers are nuts.

I do wonder if anyone has been putting pressure on these companies to do what they're doing.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:32 PM

35,708 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
YOU think so because you're a liberal. MACYs and all other corporations need to shut up about politics, or risk losing customers. And MACYs can ill afford to lose any more. And with this stupid move, it will.
Lol. How many can it lose - as if those there were bothered with the 9 min hold on shopping. Lol one two Karen’s.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:44 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
To me Macy's is a tourist attraction. It's a fun visit but I have never bought a thing from a Macy's in NYC. My wife has at local Macy's outlets, but not I.

They chose to take 9 minutes to reflect upon Floyd. Their call their decision. Not a problem for me personally.

Then again I am all for businesses having such rights. Like business in English only. Yep all for it.

If I am a plumber and I decline business from anyone with purple hair? My choice and my loss.

If a business states no shirt no shoes no service? Yep I am good with that as well.

Kneel during the anthem? Yep can do it. While I support your right to do it, I will boycott your product as a result. It does go both ways. No need for public melt downs or lawsuits because the baker won't bake me a cake.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:26 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So they kidnapped you , or hostage...
Wow.
How could they "kidnap" or hold her hostage if she was outside the store doors? She was perfectly free to go shop elsewhere.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:26 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Lol. How many can it lose - as if those there were bothered with the 9 min hold on shopping. Lol one two Karen’s.
Typical leftist. "I support something, so I'm going to make everyone else support it too."

And it's pretty clear that you didn't actually read the OP's first post. She was annoyed at the vacuous virtue signaling that seems to be all the rage nowadays -- as I am too. But that's not the main point of her post. The main point is that Macy's trapped some customers inside their store and would not let them out during their 9 minutes of silence. THAT is what bothered her the most. And it bothered me too.

I don't like being constantly harangued because I don't genuflect to BLM, and I'm annoyed at all the woker-than-thou messages I'm being bombarded with from every company that has my email address. But I also recognize the right of these companies to virtue-signal to their heart's content, if that's what they want to do. Macy's had every right to close their store for 9 minutes. But they had no right to trap people inside while they were doing it.

If I had been inside the store, I would have asked to be let out. If I was refused, I would make note of the name of the person refusing, and then calmly walked away. I would have located an emergency exit -- not a regular exit, but an emergency one, the ones where the push-bars say "ALARM WILL SOUND IF DOOR IS OPENED," and used that as my means of egress. The fact that the fire alarm would have caused a bigger interruption to their business than their moment of silence, that would be icing on the cake.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, for instance, this one:

I don't remember corporations doing anything for him, nor do I recall three networks - or any networks - covering his funeral.

Did I miss something?

Old 06-13-2020, 08:44 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, for instance, this one:
Never heard of the poor guy. I’m sure if he was given three memorial services, a televised funeral, his killing the kick-off for massive protests in 40 cities throughout the nation, Congresspeople kneeling, and CNN covering it 24/7, I would have heard of him. But his murder did not advance the leftist narrative, so....radio silence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies